Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Required: Moving from forumotion to vbulletin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Required: Moving from forumotion to vbulletin!

Hi All,

I'm currently running a forum from free host - Forumotion.com and have achieved 15,000+ Posts, but now I'm planning to shift to vBulletin.

So my questions are -

1. Will it be possible to shift all the posts/topics, Members etc from free forum to new forum software(i.e. vBulletin)? If Yes, Then much will it cost?

2. Is vBulletin's owned license worth it for $180?

3. If I buy vbulletin, Will I need a dedicated server too?If Yes, Then which one is better and how much will it cost?

4. Once I purchase vBulletin, What all other expenses I will have to pay and what can cheapest cost me in dollars incl. software, server and other charges.

5. Generally, What are the common problems faced by vBulletin users?

6. What is vBSEO and how much it costs?

7. I tried the vBulletin demo recently, Its admin panel is quite complicated but I agree that its the most customisable forum software.
    I tried to istall a skin from this site - http://vbskins.com but was unable to do so!?! Also, I couldn't find from where to change its buttons, banners etc, Also, How to move the profile info in posts from top to left? I wonder if I buy one, How will I do it?

8. The last question comes in my mind is, When I'll be putting off so much moey, How much can I expect to earn from it?

Looking forward for your replies.
    Thanks for all help in advance.

Err.. I think I've posted in wrong section by mistake thats why I'm not getting a reply.
    Mods, Please move this thread to correct section -
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=92

Comment

No, this is in the appropriate section. Your thread has only been up for an hour, so I don't understand what kind of speed you were expecting in terms of a response.

1. Will it be possible to shift all the posts/topics, Members etc from free forum to new forum software(i.e. vBulletin)? If Yes, Then much will it cost?
      Only if you can acquire the database from Forumotion. Last time I checked, they will not give you a copy of your database, meaning you will need to start fresh.

Yes.
      3. If I buy vbulletin, Will I need a dedicated server too?If Yes, Then which one is better and how much will it cost?
      You don't need a dedicated server, but you to need a web host.
      See this thread for the requirements and recommendations: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181384

Then you can look for a suitable host at www.webhostingtalk.com
      4. Once I purchase vBulletin, What all other expenses I will have to pay and what can cheapest cost me in dollars incl. software, server and other charges.
      With vBulletin, the only additional thing you will have to pay is $60/year for upgrade/update access. This fee is optional.
      If you update within 60 days of license expiry, the fee is only $40.
      There are no real "problems" . Any vBulletin-related issues you encounter will be addressed by the support team here on the forum.
      vBSEO is a third-party search engine optimization solution, and it costs $149. Note that this product is not maintained or supported by Jelsoft. You can read more about it and purchase it at the vBSEO website.

7. I tried the vBulletin demo recently, Its admin panel is quite complicated but I agree that its the most customisable forum software.
      I tried to istall a skin from this site - http://vbskins.com but was unable to do so!?! Also, I couldn't find from where to change its buttons, banners etc, Also, How to move the profile info in posts from top to left? I wonder if I buy one, How will I do it?
      You can't install skins or add-ons in the demo, but you certainly can with your own copy.

Everything you have mentioned is indeed do-able and full support will be given once you own a license.

8. The last question comes in my mind is, When I'll be putting off so much moey, How much can I expect to earn from it?
      It depends on several factors, and one cannot possibly give you an estimate.
      Regards,
      Nick

Comment

Hi Thanks for your reply.
        Its really sad that I won't be able to shift my forum's database, because now I've 500+ members and 16000+ posts, I don't want to loose that all!
        Is there any other way by which i can move my databse? If not everything then atleast the posts and members?

You don't need a dedicated server, but you to need a web host.
        See this thread for the requirements and recommendations: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181384

Then you can look for a suitable host at www.webhostingtalk.com
        Err...I didn't understood this, as i don't have much tec knowledge of all this, Can you please tell what will I have to do from very start?

With vBulletin, the only additional thing you will have to pay is $60/year for upgrade/update access. This fee is optional.
        If you update within 60 days of license expiry, the fee is only $40.
        I'll be buying owned license.
        So how much will i have to pay per year? $60 or $40?
        Also, What about the domain name, from where should i purchase it? Will webhost itself give me one?

Thanks for all help in advance.

Comment

I posted sometime back but my post isn't yet approved by mods yet.

Comment

Answers

Yes, there's support for many forums. After you purchase a license, and get your login codes, you get access to the vBulletin members area, which includes access to ImpEx, a free migration script.

But If you use a crappy service that won't give you your database, you can't. End of story. Or again, you could manually move it, but that would be bs.

Yes, and even more. What they charge is cheap for its functionality and what it does.

Not dedicated (well yes if you do want or require one) server, but just any host, virtual host works fine too, they usually charge like 5 bucks a month...

Ehh, all you need after vB is renewal fee ($100 required if you have a leased license, $60 optional for continued upgrades for owned licenses), addons and no branding features if you want those (i did), mods if you want those (many of the popular ones are free), and PHP and MySQL are free and some hosts include those... Basically, required:

1x /year if you have a leased license $100
            1x /year a host supporting php and mysql, I recommend 1&1 because they are the most bang for the buck i see so far

Installation if you are a newbie, and then, errors, database or php. The details, are rather specific to your own error.

vBSEO is short for vBulletin Search Engine Optimization. It is a 3rd party addon, supported by the company or organization that made it. The pricing structure is similar to vBulletin's structure, and I didn't buy it, so I don't know too much about how much it costs, and whether it's worth it or not. (I actually disallow search engines to crawl my forums, and this is suppossed to make it easier for the engines to crawl the forums.)

For security reasons vBulletin in Demo mode doesn't let you edit it very much. It was probably intended for you to get a feel of the interface. ANd if you buy a license, theres support tickets, forums, help files, etc. but you may be able to figure it out by yourself, i figured out a lot of it myself.

IDK, you earn your users respect, you earn respect in the admin circles you might participate in, you gain a whole load of cool features, etc... I just operate my forums for fun......... as a hobby. but if you want, theres paid subscription features in vB.

~maplr4life~
            Last edited by maplr4ever; Mon 6 Jul '09, 7:11pm.

Comment

Originally posted by maplr4ever View Post
              Yes, there's support for many forums.
              But not Forumation. So in this case, the answer is no.
              Regards,
              Nick

Comment

Good point. Forumotion uses phpBB. or something like that. So, you technically could convert it, if they decide to give you your database. But, I'll edit my post.

Comment

Good point. Forumotion uses phpBB. or something like that. So, you technically could convert it, if they decide to give you your database. But, I'll edit my post.
                  The point is that they do not give up the database, so you're essentially stuck.
                  Regards,
                  Nick

Comment

lol this guy's users are gonna be a little pissed if the posts are missing, and he is gonna be pissed if he wasted 180 dollars.

Comment

lol this guy's users are gonna be a little pissed if the posts are missing, and he is gonna be pissed if he wasted 180 dollars.
                      That's why he asked in the Pre-Sales Questions forum.
                      Regards,
                      Nick

Comment

I approved the posts that got moderated for some reason.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X