Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I already have a lifetime lisence...but need to renew...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by 0ptima View Post
    I hope this is not true as this would shaft many existing customers who have not renewed. If they do go down this route, I hope they at least make an official announcement first about their change in policy and allow people to renew.
    One would hope...or, even mroe so, one would hope that they kept to their license and allowed people with active licenses to get their 1 years free updates...
    It's an omen...

    Comment


    • #62
      I'm sitting back and watching this whole situation with bated breath. I had a little extra money tucked away from some student loans and had planned to re-up my update subscription but as I've watched the discussion ratchet up at several sites (as well as here), I've decided to wait it out. I don't feel comfortable putting money into a product that, honestly, I might no longer believe in. I didn't buy into IB, I bought into Jelsoft and its team of programmers; from the looks of the goodbyes going around among the programmers who helped make vB what it is, the Jelsoft I supported financially is diminishing quickly.

      Honestly, here's what my gut is telling me about the situation:

      1. Those who've paid their $60 annual re-up with probably [note the speculation here] be given the opportunity to purchase vB4 for $120 (or $135...) rather than the $180 ($195) of those with no active subscription, effectively making the re-up cost a down payment of sorts.
      2. The new pricing and licensure structure will be released in a manner that will prevent dormant license holders from taking advantage of any potential discount, thus punishing the "wait and see" crowd at a time when finances are strapped for many people and speculative re-upping is not financially sound.
      3. Those who complain following the release of the new licensing structure will be pointed to a clause in the original contract providing Jelsoft (or its new owners) the ability to adjust pricing at any time without notification.
      4. Those deciding to leave the vB fold will find their despoiled "lifetime" licenses worth naught, making selling the license to purchase another solution next to impossible.
      5. vB competitors, free and paid, will make an attempt to gain users from the fallout. Expect some discounting from paid services.

      I'm not going all doom-and-gloom here; I don't believe we will see the fall/collapse of vB as a widespread online presence. I simply believe we are standing at an evolutionary branch and many of us are either confused, scared, or angry about the fact that we have gone from being part of a very in-the-know community to being almost completely in the dark.

      I hope that when the dust settles I will still be a proud vB users, but right now I can't afford to put faith and finance in a situation so clouded by conspiracy and confusion. I hope that the focus on community and the customer will remain the center and that IB will take time to see us as a community and not merely a revenue stream to be tapped.

      Comment


      • #63
        Thanks for that post Ash. I feel the same in many respects.
        It's an omen...

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by AshG View Post
          I'm sitting back and watching this whole situation with bated breath. I had a little extra money tucked away from some student loans and had planned to re-up my update subscription but as I've watched the discussion ratchet up at several sites (as well as here), I've decided to wait it out. I don't feel comfortable putting money into a product that, honestly, I might no longer believe in. I didn't buy into IB, I bought into Jelsoft and its team of programmers; from the looks of the goodbyes going around among the programmers who helped make vB what it is, the Jelsoft I supported financially is diminishing quickly.

          Honestly, here's what my gut is telling me about the situation:

          1. Those who've paid their $60 annual re-up with probably [note the speculation here] be given the opportunity to purchase vB4 for $120 (or $135...) rather than the $180 ($195) of those with no active subscription, effectively making the re-up cost a down payment of sorts.
          2. The new pricing and licensure structure will be released in a manner that will prevent dormant license holders from taking advantage of any potential discount, thus punishing the "wait and see" crowd at a time when finances are strapped for many people and speculative re-upping is not financially sound.
          3. Those who complain following the release of the new licensing structure will be pointed to a clause in the original contract providing Jelsoft (or its new owners) the ability to adjust pricing at any time without notification.
          4. Those deciding to leave the vB fold will find their despoiled "lifetime" licenses worth naught, making selling the license to purchase another solution next to impossible.
          5. vB competitors, free and paid, will make an attempt to gain users from the fallout. Expect some discounting from paid services.

          I'm not going all doom-and-gloom here; I don't believe we will see the fall/collapse of vB as a widespread online presence. I simply believe we are standing at an evolutionary branch and many of us are either confused, scared, or angry about the fact that we have gone from being part of a very in-the-know community to being almost completely in the dark.

          I hope that when the dust settles I will still be a proud vB users, but right now I can't afford to put faith and finance in a situation so clouded by conspiracy and confusion. I hope that the focus on community and the customer will remain the center and that IB will take time to see us as a community and not merely a revenue stream to be tapped.

          Good post, was thinking the same when IB purchased vB, let's hope they prove us wrong.
          [URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]Aviation Web[/URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Blackbook View Post
            I'm in the same situation as you.

            From what I gather the options are;

            a) pay $60 for a renewal. Then pay a discounted price for vb4.
            b) don't pay $60 now. And pay 100% of the price for vb4.

            Apart from that, nothing else is known...and that's not even official yet.
            Let's hope those are not the only options. As I and others have stated in this thread, those of us who paid the $60 to renew did so with the agreement that we paid for all future releases of vBulletin software as long as we were still active. Nowhere did it say $60 for any 3.X release. So if 4.0 comes out while our subscription is still active then I expect to get vb 4.0 with no additional cost

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by rgf207 View Post
              Let's hope those are not the only options. As I and others have stated in this thread, those of us who paid the $60 to renew did so with the agreement that we paid for all future releases of vBulletin software as long as we were still active. Nowhere did it say $60 for any 3.X release. So if 4.0 comes out while our subscription is still active then I expect to get vb 4.0 with no additional cost
              See ash's point number 3;

              3. Those who complain following the release of the new licensing structure will be pointed to a clause in the original contract providing Jelsoft (or its new owners) the ability to adjust pricing at any time without notification.
              I forsee this as well...awful awful treatment of customers if it happens.
              It's an omen...

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by AshG View Post
                I'm sitting back and watching this whole situation with bated breath. I had a little extra money tucked away from some student loans and had planned to re-up my update subscription but as I've watched the discussion ratchet up at several sites (as well as here), I've decided to wait it out. I don't feel comfortable putting money into a product that, honestly, I might no longer believe in. I didn't buy into IB, I bought into Jelsoft and its team of programmers; from the looks of the goodbyes going around among the programmers who helped make vB what it is, the Jelsoft I supported financially is diminishing quickly.

                Honestly, here's what my gut is telling me about the situation:

                1. Those who've paid their $60 annual re-up with probably [note the speculation here] be given the opportunity to purchase vB4 for $120 (or $135...) rather than the $180 ($195) of those with no active subscription, effectively making the re-up cost a down payment of sorts.
                2. The new pricing and licensure structure will be released in a manner that will prevent dormant license holders from taking advantage of any potential discount, thus punishing the "wait and see" crowd at a time when finances are strapped for many people and speculative re-upping is not financially sound.
                3. Those who complain following the release of the new licensing structure will be pointed to a clause in the original contract providing Jelsoft (or its new owners) the ability to adjust pricing at any time without notification.
                4. Those deciding to leave the vB fold will find their despoiled "lifetime" licenses worth naught, making selling the license to purchase another solution next to impossible.
                5. vB competitors, free and paid, will make an attempt to gain users from the fallout. Expect some discounting from paid services.

                I'm not going all doom-and-gloom here; I don't believe we will see the fall/collapse of vB as a widespread online presence. I simply believe we are standing at an evolutionary branch and many of us are either confused, scared, or angry about the fact that we have gone from being part of a very in-the-know community to being almost completely in the dark.

                I hope that when the dust settles I will still be a proud vB users, but right now I can't afford to put faith and finance in a situation so clouded by conspiracy and confusion. I hope that the focus on community and the customer will remain the center and that IB will take time to see us as a community and not merely a revenue stream to be tapped.
                exactly... and what's worse is ONLY vB is changing their structure. Look at all of vB's competitors and they haven't changed their price structures or held out on their members.

                Then again, this ISN'T Jelsoft anymore... it's IB.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by FreshFroot_ View Post
                  exactly... and what's worse is ONLY vB is changing their structure. Look at all of vB's competitors and they haven't changed their price structures or held out on their members.

                  Then again, this ISN'T Jelsoft anymore... it's IB.
                  Let me cast your mind back to the early days of one of jelsoft's competitors. This competitor's software was completely free to use and they stated they would never charge for their software, however market forces changed their decision.

                  In 8+ years of vBulletin, the prices have only been changed once.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by poolking View Post

                    In 8+ years of vBulletin, the prices have only been changed once.
                    But at least they were clear when they changed. There are many of us in limbo....
                    It's an omen...

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by Blackbook View Post
                      But at least they were clear when they changed. There are many of us in limbo....
                      May I draw your attention to the announcement made in April 2008, made before you joined vb.com:

                      http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268714

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by poolking View Post
                        May I draw your attention to the announcement made in April 2008, made before you joined vb.com:

                        http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268714
                        He's probably referring to the pricing changes under consideration right now; not the past changes.
                        Regards,
                        Nick

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by Nick View Post
                          He's probably referring to the pricing changes under consideration right now; not the past changes.
                          Well that's the part of my post that was quoted.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by poolking View Post
                            May I draw your attention to the announcement made in April 2008, made before you joined vb.com:
                            May I remind you to my OP where I stated I lost my old vb username and have been here since 2003?....

                            Look at the member list for 'M4g!k' - (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/member.php?u=31462) thanks
                            It's an omen...

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Blackbook View Post
                              See ash's point number 3;
                              That's not the case here. Jelsoft can adjust pricing at any time but that only applies to future purchases. They have every right to increase the price for vb4 or increase the price of renewal but you cannot adjust the terms after you purchase.

                              Imagine this example. I buy a car. When I buy the car, there is a deal where I get free oil changes for 3 years. Now 3 months go by and I go to get my oil changed. They cannot say "oh wait, now you have to pay $30 to get your oil changed because we are using a new brand of oil"

                              It does not work that way. The agreement between Jelsoft and the customer states that they get access to all upgrades for 1 year after purchase.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by Neal-UK View Post
                                I'm going to renew my four owned licenses shortly as it's my understanding when I signed up / joined that I get 1 year of free updates to the vBulletin Forum Software no matter what version it becomes within that year.
                                Pretty straight forward thinking, nothing complicated about that. Dam, your not even asking for any pricing details. All you want to know is if you'll have access to vBulletin 4 as long as your 1yr licences are still active.

                                So why are they not answering that simple question that doesn't involve any pricing details.

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X