Novice user needs some advice from vbulletin pros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novice user needs some advice from vbulletin pros

Thinking about taking the vbulletin plunge, I had some general questions which I was hoping some of you with experience could answer.
    I plan to create a site for a well known celebrity.

1. I plan on hiring someone to design and integrate my site. Once the site is up and running, will I need someone to maintain my site or can I do it myself. I have limited web design skills (I know some basic html). Is the software easy to learn? Certainly I understand that the bigger the forum, the more work it will be, but could someone like me who is not an experienced designer or programmer handle it?

2. Is it a fulltime job? Let's say that my site gets an average amount of users, a mediumly successful site. Will I be chained to the site or it is reasonable that moderators can do most of the work? Can I work a fulltime job and also handle this? Again, I am talking about a site that would have average success.

3. What would be the average cost for hosting? Having read up about shared, VPS and dedicated servers, I understand that site volume determines which one you need. Can someone share some light on the average cost for each of these hosting types? Does the number of users who are online at one time determine which one you use? Is that the criteria?

4. Any recommendations for good reasonable hosting companies?

5. I have been scouring the web trying to find a good webdesigner with vbulleting experience to create my site and I am not having much luck. Any recommendations? Should I avoid the "hire a freelancer" type websites?

What could I expect to pay to have a vbulletin site created (not including the software and license). My site will be pretty simple, I won't be including a lot of other content. I will want to incorporate google adsense and hopefully eventually banner ads.

Where is a good place to find a decent designer?

If you can give me any insight on any of these questions, please reply.

Thinking about taking the vbulletin plunge, I had some general questions which I was hoping some of you with experience could answer.
    I plan to create a site for a well known celebrity.

1. I plan on hiring someone to design and integrate my site. Once the site is up and running, will I need someone to maintain my site or can I do it myself. I have limited web design skills (I know some basic html). Is the software easy to learn? Certainly I understand that the bigger the forum, the more work it will be, but could someone like me who is not an experienced designer or programmer handle it?
    Sounds like you've never even used a Free board like phpBB to get the general idea of running a site first. Well, basic HTML knowledge is OK, but vBulletin is PHP not HTML. So your basic HTML skill will mean little really as a whole. You can always learn as you go along, picking up stuff from here. The question is - do you think you have what it takes to learn it?

2. Is it a fulltime job? Let's say that my site gets an average amount of users, a mediumly successful site. Will I be chained to the site or it is reasonable that moderators can do most of the work? Can I work a fulltime job and also handle this? Again, I am talking about a site that would have average success.
    Even a small site can take up a lot of time, never mind a huge site. But then you can hire Admins and Mods to lessen your work load, giving you more free time. It's just a matter of finding people who you can trust to run it, keeping in mind you'll probably have to make it worth their while too!

3. What would be the average cost for hosting? Having read up about shared, VPS and dedicated servers, I understand that site volume determines which one you need. Can someone share some light on the average cost for each of these hosting types? Does the number of users who are online at one time determine which one you use? Is that the criteria?
    Shared hosting is cheap, but as soon as your site becomes popular and starts getting a lot of traffic per day. It won't be long before you'll be asked to upgrade your account due to system resources being used on a shared host environment. Use Google and compare VPS hosting prices! There are also some very well know sites out there that talk about the best hosts to go with. "Liquid Web" seems to be one that gets mentioned a lot, but don't take my advice on that (I've never used them).

4. Any recommendations for good reasonable hosting companies?
    Not really, others here may help. But keep in mind that people tend to recommend the same host they use. So your better finding another site like I mentioned above, who deals specifically in talking about the best hosts on the net.

5. I have been scouring the web trying to find a good webdesigner with vbulleting experience to create my site and I am not having much luck. Any recommendations? Should I avoid the "hire a freelancer" type websites?

What could I expect to pay to have a vbulletin site created (not including the software and license). My site will be pretty simple, I won't be including a lot of other content. I will want to incorporate google adsense and hopefully eventually banner ads.

Where is a good place to find a decent designer?

If you can give me any insight on any of these questions, please reply.
    Be careful about openly asking for a vBulletin designer in public, many con artists will be only too ready to (rip you off) after reading your looking for one. Go read the horror story's at vB.org to see how many times it's happened before. Best thing, learn first who can be trusted from experience first and foremost!

The price of course will vary from person to person. Some value their skill higher than others and also want paying a decent wage for it also. Meaning their is no hard and fast rule on what you can expect to pay tops.
    Last edited by MRGTB; Thu 18 Jun '09, 1:16am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X