• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I run vB on 128MB VPS

Obviously the other specs are irrelevant but this VPS has

128MB Ram

just incase

2GB Diskspace (vBulletin is what? Only 3MB)

50GB Bandwith (we currently have around 70+ online at the same time)

oh, this is from ddos hosting solutions aswell

Originally posted by Pr0™ View Post
    Obviously the other specs are irrelevant but this VPS has

128MB Ram

just incase

oh, this is from ddos hosting solutions aswell
    The space and bandwidth requirements seem fine to me, I've never really gone over 50GB bandwidth even with that same amount of people online. Not sure about the RAM, although based on my past experiences, my best guess is that it's not enough for 70 or so online at the same time.
    DS Ultimate- A Nintendo DS Forum

My Blog (Nintendo, vBulletin and other articles)

My Profile and Modifications at vBulletin.org

Comment

Will it run smooth or not?

Comment

128MB Ram

just incase

The other stuff is not irrelevant. And the answers to your questions depend on a lot of variables.

If you are likely to host a lot of attachments, 50Gb bandwidth and 2 Gb of space might disappear pretty quickly. vBulletin's files are only a few Mb, but the database is what will eat up your disk space.

Having never used a VPS, i have no idea if it will be enough for you - but I thought i'd give you some background.

Comment

128mb is nowhere near enough in my experiences maintaining VPS accounts. Apache + PHP + MySQL eats a lot of RAM with only a dozen or so users online. You'll certainly want to drop Apache and use a light web server if you go the VPS route.

If you can budget for a cheap dedicated server you'll have a much better experience and have a lot more dedicated memory and CPU power.

Comment

A few things,

Yes you could run it on the existing configuration, depending on the amount of traffic it recieves. However, eventually if you site gets too popular you will have to upgrade, or move away from apache.

Comment

Your going to need more RAM. I would look for a VPS provider offering at least 768MB of RAM. Keep in mind you will have neighbors on this box and who knows what type of scripts, traffic etc. they may bring to effect your performance.

Comment

Your VPS spec's seem a little low to me.

With 2GB ram, i doubt u could host much.
                Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

Originally posted by c0bra View Post
                  128mb is nowhere near enough in my experiences maintaining VPS accounts. Apache + PHP + MySQL eats a lot of RAM with only a dozen or so users online.
                  Exactly. You CAN tune them a bit, but with 128M ram, you're not going to get a ton of performance there.

Originally posted by c0bra View Post
                  If you can budget for a cheap dedicated server you'll have a much better experience and have a lot more dedicated memory and CPU power.
                  Again, dead on. If you can't afford a cheap ded, then get a shared hosting account until you CAN afford a ded. server

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                  I would look for a VPS provider offering at least 768MB of RAM.
                  768 is a bit high. You can easily run vB and other stuff on 384-512M . Anything less, I wouldn't trust, anything more might be a bit excessive for just a vBulletin forum. Of course, if you're after instant success, you'd best go with a ded. server.

Originally posted by hitmancode47 View Post
                  With 2GB ram, i doubt u could host much.
                  You mean disk space, not ram. You're right, you can't expect much from 2G space, but, if you're just starting your vB forum, 2 GB is a decent size. Right now, I'm just barely pushing 1GB with a forum I started around a month ago, and I've been doing a LOT of promotional stuff, so I think 2 GB should keep you happy for at least a couple months!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X