Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abomination
    replied
    Occasionally companies make announcements on a certain Date/time and they want to reward current customers.

Press release: new sales & pricing structure, released on Date/time.

As of Date/time here is the new sales & price structure: ___________.

Customers that are current as of Date/time will have these additional options available:
    • -------
    • -------
    • -------

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
    Have you got confirmation of the invitation to be in the beta test group?
    Nope, no NDA in the mail, and no reply back from Internet Brands

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Originally posted by FreshFroot_ View Post
    What would be the point of renewing for 3.8.x though? What if 3.8.3 is the last update for the 3.8 series? Then you threw out $40 or $60 for nothing really... unless you upgrade to vb4, and who knows what the price or how that will be run.

That is one of my concerns, I don't really need the latest 3.8.x, because I have it. I do need to renew though, but it's a matter of "what am I renewing too"?
    Please stop with the FUD;
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...18&postcount=5

Originally posted by Kier
    I should probably rephrase that - I meant to say that depending on when vBulletin 4 goes live, it could potentially be the final version of vBulletin 3.x as the primary version of vBulletin.

I would anticipate ongoing maintenance releases for 3.x in line with the EOL policy after 4.0 takes over the reigns as the primary version.
    Last edited by Zachery; Fri 12 Jun '09, 3:18pm.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    Originally posted by FreshFroot_ View Post
    What would be the point of renewing for 3.8.x though? What if 3.8.3 is the last update for the 3.8 series? Then you threw out $40 or $60 for nothing really... unless you upgrade to vb4, and who knows what the price or how that will be run.

That is one of my concerns, I don't really need the latest 3.8.x, because I have it. I do need to renew though, but it's a matter of "what am I renewing too"?
    Security patches will still be issued.

There are plenty of sites running 3.7 and 3.6 series software with little or no problems. All a case of whether you need the features or not!

Personally, I'm looking forward to 4.x and hope to upgrade my sites over the coming months although I can't afford to do them all at once (just after launch).

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    Originally posted by Floris View Post
    So I am quite, quite curious. And very excited to go and try version 4, btw.
    Have you got confirmation of the invitation to be in the beta test group?

Leave a comment:

• FreshFroot_
    replied
    Originally posted by Trevster View Post
    But if I have an expired license and after seeing the prices don't want to upgrade at this time, I'd want to get the current renewal rate for my 3.8 series software.

Unless of course that's an option they're considering...

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    That does not matter to be honest.

If they announce the price and license changes after version 4 goes gold, you can still get 3.x from the members' area and choose not to upgrade and/or agree to any new license agreement.

But if I have an expired license and after seeing the prices don't want to upgrade at this time, I'd want to get the current renewal rate for my 3.8 series software.

Unless of course that's an option they're considering...

Leave a comment:

• FreshFroot_
    replied
    My members' area has 10 licenses listed, some without one or more addons. Trust me, I am curious to see if I should go to version 4 route (at all) , and see how much this would perhaps cost me or not to go from single license to a suite setup, etc.

Are bulk purchases being taken into account for example? If I order 3 or more renewals at the same time, or upgrade say 4 licenses without addons to 4x suite packages, would I as long standing customer with multiple license pay as much as a new customer with one license?

Having invested (and yes, Jelsoft also gave me one or two for free) in new licenses, and secondhand ones, knowing it's a one time purchase and $30/year to renew. Changing this to $40 adds a bit, but having to pay for each incremental branch update, is a reason to reconsider those 'hobby' sites.

So your renewals are at about $400 per a year roughly.. if you renewed all.. Now unless your making good money off them or have a REALLY good job, it's tough to afford all of it.

I see the new license system as a + for that matter.

However the MAIN problem is the conversion from vb3 to vb4 for customers. It has to benefit the customers too and NOT just the company.

So, I think MOST customers are waiting to see how this conversion will work and who it favors.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    My members' area has 10 licenses listed, some without one or more addons. Trust me, I am curious to see if I should go to version 4 route (at all) , and see how much this would perhaps cost me or not to go from single license to a suite setup, etc.

Are bulk purchases being taken into account for example? If I order 3 or more renewals at the same time, or upgrade say 4 licenses without addons to 4x suite packages, would I as long standing customer with multiple license pay as much as a new customer with one license?

Having invested (and yes, Jelsoft also gave me one or two for free) in new licenses, and secondhand ones, knowing it's a one time purchase and $30/year to renew. Changing this to $40 adds a bit, but having to pay for each incremental branch update, is a reason to reconsider those 'hobby' sites.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFroot_
    replied
    I've always told customers in the past to not pay ahead of time, because you don't know the future. With Ray's post I do not know if that's what I would say now, but ....

If you wish to stick with 3.8 and need 3.8.3 and your license has expired, it might be smart to renew now and get the most out of the 3.x branch. And as per Ray's post, perhaps benefit the most from the convert to a new license type and license agreement.

Hopefully some common sense will mean that an active owned license with addons for existing customers stands for the existing EULA + a smooth upgrade at no cost to the suite; with a new license agreement to go along with it. So one knows version 5 will be a paid upgrade for example, or whatever might be decided upon.

It's logical if you have an expired owned license with no addons, and you want version 4, you have to renew anyway, and the price difference + an existing customer discount, is then the common sense. It will respect the current EULA and offers renewal for new version, which comes with a new EULA. The existing license is then converted, updated, renewed I mean, and gives access to existing 3.x and new 4.x and future releases under new agreement.

A small disclaimer: My access to these forums have been removed before any price changes or other final decisions were made. Don't read into it, as I am basing my posts on what was made available to me after parting with the team; and have no inside info as some might think. Just saying.
    Thanks for the advice Floris.

Normally, I WOULD upgrade. However, I really want to be sure on ANY changes, if there are any at all through Ray.

I haven't been a huge risk taker this year and don't plan on taking a huge risk right now either. I just need assurance from Ray and I'd be glady in renewing ALL my expired licenses.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    I've always told customers in the past to not pay ahead of time, because you don't know the future. With Ray's post I do not know if that's what I would say now, but ....

If you wish to stick with 3.8 and need 3.8.3 and your license has expired, it might be smart to renew now and get the most out of the 3.x branch. And as per Ray's post, perhaps benefit the most from the convert to a new license type and license agreement.

Hopefully some common sense will mean that an active owned license with addons for existing customers stands for the existing EULA + a smooth upgrade at no cost to the suite; with a new license agreement to go along with it. So one knows version 5 will be a paid upgrade for example, or whatever might be decided upon.

It's logical if you have an expired owned license with no addons, and you want version 4, you have to renew anyway, and the price difference + an existing customer discount, is then the common sense. It will respect the current EULA and offers renewal for new version, which comes with a new EULA. The existing license is then converted, updated, renewed I mean, and gives access to existing 3.x and new 4.x and future releases under new agreement.

A small disclaimer: My access to these forums have been removed before any price changes or other final decisions were made. Don't read into it, as I am basing my posts on what was made available to me after parting with the team; and have no inside info as some might think. Just saying.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFroot_
    replied
    Originally posted by Trevster View Post
    Ray, can you also confirm that you'll give advanced notice of the pricing changes so that users can decide what they'll do before they don't have a choice?
    This would be nice.

I don't have a HUGE issue with prices, but I NEED to know them ahead of time. I can't just bring out money when ever I want too. I need to know before hand, so I can have everything arranged. Otherwise, I most likely will not be able to renew.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFroot_
    replied

If they announce the price and license changes after version 4 goes gold, you can still get 3.x from the members' area and choose not to upgrade and/or agree to any new license agreement.
    Lets say I renew now and vb4 hits and Ray says we have to pay an additional fee for vb4. Then what is the point of me paying a renewal fee is vb 3.8.x isn't exactly going to be developed anymore?

Some people might have an easy way to throw $40 or more.. I don't, because I have multiple licenses to renew. I'm looking at paying over $100+ and I can't afford that, if I'm NOT getting anything new or different.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    Ray, can you also confirm that you'll give advanced notice of the pricing changes so that users can decide what they'll do before they don't have a choice?

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X