Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I renew my vB subcription?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should I renew my vB subcription?

    I have a owned license and want to upgrade to 4.0, but will I have to actually pay again anyways if I pay the 30 or 40 bucks to keep my license active right now?

  • #2
    Jelsoft has not provided license changes, so as per current license agreement: Nope.

    Comment


    • #3
      CJ,

      At this point in time, I would recommend AGAINST paying Jelsoft anymore money due to the huge leak they had on there private forums stating that they will be charging more anyway. Its best to save your money now - and shell it out later so you don't get double hit. They should also comment definitely one way or another on the subject since their own leak seems to be "covered up" with everyone saying "there is nothing *official* yet". Which is a load of crap considering the intent is all laid out for all to see.

      I personally will switch to IPB3 when it goes Gold if vB doesn't offer some huge announcement on the situation - and I happen to know allot of other people are doing the same. I'm not saying you should follow suit - I'm just saying save your money and make a more "informed" decision when they fess up to there internal post.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the advice guys

        Comment


        • #5
          I think Jelsoft will make a tolerance with currently active paid subscription customer, like Apple giving away USD 25,00 for currently Mac OSX Leopard user rather than paying the full price

          Comment


          • #6
            I personally wouldn't renew anything until IB/jelsoft outlines their plans regarding renewals. I have a mix of forum, blog and PT licenses and it sounds like I may run into issues with the release of vb4. I hope that is not the case but since IB/Jelsoft hasn't clarified, I am left ot assume the worst and hope for the best.
            Plan, Do, Check, Act!

            Comment


            • #7
              I just renewed a license, because I see no reason not to. Whatever changes will come, surely Jelsoft will cater for existing customers.
              "The lurking suspicion that something could be simplified is the world's richest source of rewarding challenges"
              - Edsger Dijkstra

              Comment


              • #8
                I would recommend keeping licenses current, as there will be special discounts and incentives especially for current license holders.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ray Morgan View Post
                  I would recommend keeping licenses current, as there will be special discounts and incentives especially for current license holders.
                  Ray, do you have a timeframe of WHEN prices will be listed? My license JUST expired and I'm a bit edgy on renewals. The reason being the movement from vB3 to vB4.

                  How much is an incentive or discount? Is it $5 off a $50 conversion fee? I mean, we could be renewing to something we don't know well of yet.

                  I'd just like more information asap.

                  Thanks.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ray, can you also confirm that you'll give advanced notice of the pricing changes so that users can decide what they'll do before they don't have a choice?
                    Vote for:

                    - *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                    -
                    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                    - "Quick Route" Interface...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      That does not matter to be honest.

                      If they announce the price and license changes after version 4 goes gold, you can still get 3.x from the members' area and choose not to upgrade and/or agree to any new license agreement.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Floris View Post
                        That does not matter to be honest.

                        If they announce the price and license changes after version 4 goes gold, you can still get 3.x from the members' area and choose not to upgrade and/or agree to any new license agreement.
                        Lets say I renew now and vb4 hits and Ray says we have to pay an additional fee for vb4. Then what is the point of me paying a renewal fee is vb 3.8.x isn't exactly going to be developed anymore?

                        Some people might have an easy way to throw $40 or more.. I don't, because I have multiple licenses to renew. I'm looking at paying over $100+ and I can't afford that, if I'm NOT getting anything new or different.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Trevster View Post
                          Ray, can you also confirm that you'll give advanced notice of the pricing changes so that users can decide what they'll do before they don't have a choice?
                          This would be nice.

                          I don't have a HUGE issue with prices, but I NEED to know them ahead of time. I can't just bring out money when ever I want too. I need to know before hand, so I can have everything arranged. Otherwise, I most likely will not be able to renew.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I've always told customers in the past to not pay ahead of time, because you don't know the future. With Ray's post I do not know if that's what I would say now, but ....

                            If you wish to stick with 3.8 and need 3.8.3 and your license has expired, it might be smart to renew now and get the most out of the 3.x branch. And as per Ray's post, perhaps benefit the most from the convert to a new license type and license agreement.

                            Hopefully some common sense will mean that an active owned license with addons for existing customers stands for the existing EULA + a smooth upgrade at no cost to the suite; with a new license agreement to go along with it. So one knows version 5 will be a paid upgrade for example, or whatever might be decided upon.

                            It's logical if you have an expired owned license with no addons, and you want version 4, you have to renew anyway, and the price difference + an existing customer discount, is then the common sense. It will respect the current EULA and offers renewal for new version, which comes with a new EULA. The existing license is then converted, updated, renewed I mean, and gives access to existing 3.x and new 4.x and future releases under new agreement.


                            A small disclaimer: My access to these forums have been removed before any price changes or other final decisions were made. Don't read into it, as I am basing my posts on what was made available to me after parting with the team; and have no inside info as some might think. Just saying.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Floris View Post
                              I've always told customers in the past to not pay ahead of time, because you don't know the future. With Ray's post I do not know if that's what I would say now, but ....

                              If you wish to stick with 3.8 and need 3.8.3 and your license has expired, it might be smart to renew now and get the most out of the 3.x branch. And as per Ray's post, perhaps benefit the most from the convert to a new license type and license agreement.

                              Hopefully some common sense will mean that an active owned license with addons for existing customers stands for the existing EULA + a smooth upgrade at no cost to the suite; with a new license agreement to go along with it. So one knows version 5 will be a paid upgrade for example, or whatever might be decided upon.

                              It's logical if you have an expired owned license with no addons, and you want version 4, you have to renew anyway, and the price difference + an existing customer discount, is then the common sense. It will respect the current EULA and offers renewal for new version, which comes with a new EULA. The existing license is then converted, updated, renewed I mean, and gives access to existing 3.x and new 4.x and future releases under new agreement.


                              A small disclaimer: My access to these forums have been removed before any price changes or other final decisions were made. Don't read into it, as I am basing my posts on what was made available to me after parting with the team; and have no inside info as some might think. Just saying.
                              Thanks for the advice Floris.

                              Normally, I WOULD upgrade. However, I really want to be sure on ANY changes, if there are any at all through Ray.

                              I haven't been a huge risk taker this year and don't plan on taking a huge risk right now either. I just need assurance from Ray and I'd be glady in renewing ALL my expired licenses.

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X