Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading Leased To Owned ((time frame?))

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading Leased To Owned ((time frame?))

I know this question has been asked and answered - so apologies... Quick question though if I may please. I want to purchase a 2nd vB license. Question: If I purchase the leased license - how much time to I have to upgrade the license to owned?

Thanx

Jacquii.

"Question my skill set perhaps, but never question my heart." -- JacquiiCooke.com

You can upgrade from a leased to an owned license for an additional $100 if you do so within 60 days of the purchase. After 60 days, it is full price.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
      You can upgrade from a leased to an owned license for an additional $100 if you do so within 60 days of the purchase. After 60 days, it is full price.
      Okay, I'm confused.

If a leased license is $100, and we upgrade it to "owned" within 60 days for another $100, that makes it $200. As we know, an owned license outright is only $180.
      Regards,
      Nick

Comment

Yeah, the upgrade from leased to owned is a bit off, even with the 'multiple forum discount'.

With 3 forums:
        buy an owned license - $166
        buy leased - $93
        Upgrade leased within 60 days - $100 (this number doesn't go down).
        Total: $193, $27 more than if you would have bought it outright.

Of course, that's only $27, but hey, the world is no longer in a free for all, give money for nothing mood.

So, vB is asking the customer to pay MORE for an upgrade from leased to owned, and expects this to work how? Simple economics says it aint happenin.

Comment

Originally posted by hosting-talk View Post
          Yeah, the upgrade from leased to owned is a bit off, even with the 'multiple forum discount'.

With 3 forums:
          buy an owned license - $166
          buy leased - $93
          Upgrade leased within 60 days - $100 (this number doesn't go down).
          Total: $193, $27 more than if you would have bought it outright.

Of course, that's only $27, but hey, the world is no longer in a free for all, give money for nothing mood.

So, vB is asking the customer to pay MORE for an upgrade from leased to owned, and expects this to work how? Simple economics says it aint happenin.
          Normally, I would assume that yes, there is a fee for upgrading. But this line of Steve's is what proves that such isn't the case:

After 60 days, it is full price.
          Meaning that before the 60 days, it would be less than full price, which $200 is not.
          Regards,
          Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
            Normally, I would assume that yes, there is a fee for upgrading. But this line of Steve's is what proves that such isn't the case:
            I think you misread that line. The prior to 60 day "upgrade cost" is definitely discounted. After that, it is an additional cost here. So, after that 60 days, the price becomes as follows (again, taking my 3 license discount into affect):

Initial leased cost: $93
            FULL VERSION cost: $166
            TOTAL cost: $259

Whereas, in the 60 day period:
            Initial cost: $93
            Upgrade cost: $100
            TOTAL cost: $193

If you upgrade within the 60 day period, it's clearly going to cost you less than if you upgrade afterwards.

Of course, this DOES come with an extended period of renewals and updates (1 year), but that's pretty much shot now, anyways.

Comment

Initial leased cost: $93
              FULL VERSION cost: $166
              TOTAL cost: $259
              First of all, it's not $93. That's only if she was purchasing a third license. As her post says, she wants a second license.

Secondly, why are you combining the cost of the leased license and the owned license? That would only be done if she was purchasing two new licenses.

Whereas, in the 60 day period:
              Initial cost: $93
              Upgrade cost: $100
              TOTAL cost: $193
              Again, it's not $93.

Even if it was, $193 is not cheaper than $180 which is the price for a brand now owned license, outright.
              Regards,
              Nick

Comment

Yup - I was also wondering just a bit of why $100 as opposed to simply upgrading for the remainder balance of the owned license if paid in full which would be $80. I suppose it's a little bit of a way for vBulletin to earn an extra $20 from those who would consider "leased to own" a type of payment plan. I suppose the extra $20 is for that extended courtesy, the middle finger extended of course

I suppose it's what is called capitalism at it's best

Jacquii.

"Question my skill set perhaps, but never question my heart." -- JacquiiCooke.com

Comment

Originally posted by MsJacquiiC View Post
                  Yup - I was also wondering just a bit of why $100 as opposed to simply upgrading for the remainder balance of the owned license if paid in full which would be $80. I suppose it's a little bit of a way for vBulletin to earn an extra $20 from those who would consider "leased to own" a type of payment plan. I suppose the extra $20 is for that extended courtesy, the middle finger extended of course

I suppose it's what is called capitalism at it's best

Jacquii.
                  Jacquii, normally I would be in complete agreement about them earning that little extra fee.

But if that was the case, then why would Steve have posted this part:
                  After 60 days, it is full price.
                  As I already stated above:
                  Meaning that before the 60 days, it would be less than full price, which $200 is not.
                  Regards,
                  Nick

Comment

First of all, it's not $93.
                    I was using that number as an example. Maybe you might want to consider actually READING the post instead of immediately critiquing it.

Secondly, why are you combining the cost of the leased license and the owned license? That would only be done if she was purchasing two new licenses.
                    Because that's the TOTAL COST of the upgrade. Again, maybe you want to consider reading posts before critiquing them? I was comparing the TOTAL COST of both, whereas you're making an assumption that's not correct.

Comment

But if that was the case, then why would Steve have posted this part:
                      Most likely, that was an encouragement to DO SO within that 60 days, because after that 60 days the cost almost doubles!

Comment

I still don't understand. There is no need to use examples here, because this is a matter of facts.

Most likely, that was an encouragement to DO SO within that 60 days, because after that 60 days the cost almost doubles!
                        You're missing the point. Steve lied saying that if Jacquii were to upgrade within 60 days, she would be paying less than the full price for a new license.

Either he meant to say that it is only $80 to upgrade from a leased license to an owned license within 60 days OR he shouldn't have said. "After 60 days, it is full price."

$100 + $80 = $180
                        $100 + $100 =/= < $180
                        Regards,
                        Nick

Comment

The cost of purchasing a leased then upgrading to owned (two separate transactions) has always been higher than purchasing the owned license the first time (one transaction.) It's been that way since 2000.
                          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                            The cost of purchasing a leased then upgrading to owned (two separate transactions) has always been higher that purchasing the owned license the first time (one transaction.) It's been that way since 2000.
                            Then why would you have said, "otherwise it's full price?"

It makes it sound like I pay the normal owned license fee ($180) as long as I upgrade within the first 60 days, and if not, I pay $180 on top of the leased license price ($100).
                            Regards,
                            Nick

Comment

Working...
                            X