Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Slight Doubt in Converting Forum

Hello,

I am thinking of buying a vBulletin license, and convert my phpBB 3.0.4 to vBulletin 3.8.2(latest version).

However, after seeing the impex converter guide in the help section, I am quite discouraged as it seems that the steps are not mentioned in a step-by-step way.

What I want to ask is, could you please tell me a clear step-by-step way to import using impex?

And, using impex we are only using the phpbb3 database right? so is it okay if the actual phpbb3 forum files are deleted before the import?

Is the actual phpbb3 database 'imported' to another database that the vbulletin will use, or is it 'converted' to a way that vbulletin can use?

please answer this questions, and if you have done a clean import from phpbb3 to vbulletin and succeded, kindly let me know too, so I can be sure that this converting is not a dangerous step.

Please read the online Impex import instructions here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex

Also please view the 'After the Import' instructions here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_cleanup

And yes, you only need the phpBB database, not that files. And it should be on the same server as vB. The phpBB data will be imported into the vB database.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

So, we must install the vBulletin system first before importing the database right?

Does it takes much server load when converting? my hosting doesn't allow over cpu usage.

Also, thanks for your fast answer Steve

Comment

Yes, you install vB, install Impex, then do the import. The imported will not touch the phpBB data, only read it so there is no risk to that data.

Server load issues are very are and can usually be dealt with by lowering the number of items to import per batch.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thank you very much for the answers, my doubts are cleared.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X