Host

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Host

Hello, I am looking to start a new forum and was wondering what the best host would be. Going off of another forum that would most likely be the closest to my forum, has these stats...
    Most users on at one time 325
    Threads: 14,514, Posts: 211,425, Members: 4,753, Active Members: 1,380

What do I need for a host, and who is the best?

I'd look into a dedicated VPS or budget dedicated server. Check out webhostingtalk.com for some suggestions on providers.

Comment

If you're starting off your own forum from scratch, then I'd suggest a shared solution.
      Xbox Fan-site: www.XboxCommunity.net

Xbox 360 Achievements: www.x360achievements.com

Comment

Yes, you should always start out with shared hosting, and a small package at that and then slowly work your way up as your forum starts growing.

I strongly recommend www.asmallorange.com for small/medium forums. Their small/medium packages should be good for a new forum, and then as you start hitting the limits on those you can seamlessly ask to be moved up to a higher package. No transfers needed or anything. They just increase your limits and charge you some more.

Eventually if your forum does take off you'll probably want to move to another host who offers larger packages (ASO doesn't offer very large ones which is why it's only good for small/medium forums). I have heard (but never used) that http://www.urljet.com/ is good for larger forums.

For the record, I don't think a 200k post forum needs a VPS or a dedicated server. I help run a forum with ~550k posts and we're still running on a shared server. performence could be better but it isn't suffering.

I suspect that an upgrade will be needed in a few months once we reach 600-630k+ posts or something. We'll see.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X