Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going legal

Hello all,
    We're all adults here and we know that piracy of the vB software is illegal, and we also know that it does go on.

Some may find themselves in the position where they have inherited a vB forum setup and discover that it is running an unlicensed (nulled I believe is the term) of vB forum. The forum in question has been customized with various mods and the style has been edited extensively, and there is obviously content there as well, and the subject matter is not illegal, for example, let's say it's a site discussing the subtle different hues of leaves on a japanese maple tree.

The person who inherits this forum is obviously appalled that it's not legal and wishes to rectify this situation. Obviously purchasing a license is the easy part, you pay your money, you get the software and the license key, and you enter whatever you need to enter into the license management area on this site.

Now comes the real crux of the issue. Is it possible to install the newly downloaded forum software and key, but preserve the existing structure and content of the existing forum?

I can understand why "No" would be an acceptable answer, someone has run the software illegally, and thus the punishment is to require a completely fresh install of of the software and you need to start from scratch.

However, perhaps there is some compassion here, given that the new owner has accepted that the previous person has done wrong, and they wish to rectify the situation.

Perhaps a parallel to running an illegal application could be drawn, you'd re-serialize the existing app with the illegal serial number, putting in your legal number, and the files that had been created can still be accessed and modified, which is essentially what would be wanted in this situation.

Theoretically you can, a lot will depend on how many modifications have been made to the database.

It's certainly possible, and I have read posts from people on vb.org who say they have. You will definitely have to replace all the php files etc, so if they were modified they will need to be done again.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

If your core vBulletin PHP files are unmodified, then I guess all you've to do is upload the files you download from your vBulletin members area, to your server; overwriting the ones you've already got. All your data (threads / posts / members) will remain as-it-is; because the database will probably remain untouched.

I could be wrong. I'd wait for an official reply.
      The joy of an early release lasts but a short time. The bitterness of an unusable system lasts for years.
      GeekPoint Forum | Articles & Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Shadab View Post
        If your core vBulletin PHP files are unmodified, then I guess all you've to do is upload the files you download from your vBulletin members area, to your server; overwriting the ones you've already got. All your data (threads / posts / members) will remain as-it-is; because the database will probably remain untouched.

I could be wrong. I'd wait for an official reply.
        From my experience, you are correct.
        Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
        VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
        vBulletin Hosting and Services
        Server / Website Consultation

Comment

Buy vBulletin.

Upload legal files.

Done.

Edited files and plugins are not our concern. You would need to test each of those on your own. Your primary concern should be to get your vBulletin running under a licensed version of the software.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X