vBulletin 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greersfos View Post
    I have been very satisfied with vBulletin. I have two licenses. I won't mind paying for additional functionality. I have already paid for two commercial CMS systems that are supposed to intetgrate with vBulletin, vivvo and vbadvance. They didn't meet my needs. I am currently experimenting with Joomla. It is pretty good. I am looking forward to the offering from vBulletin. I feel confident that the quality will be worth the cost.

I have experience with several other bbs systems. vBulletin is the best.

Jeff
    This is why you are "one" of the customers they will profit off of. In the leaked discussion, they stated people like you WOULD stay and that's why they will still profit.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFroot_ View Post
      This is why you are "one" of the customers they will profit off of. In the leaked discussion, they stated people like you WOULD stay and that's why they will still profit.
      You need to remember here though, that vBulletin are getting new paying customers all the time. And they'll still be getting them when the new price structure comes into effect. These people will know no different because they've never used or bought vBulletin previously to start comparing things. Meaning they'll accept the new price structure much more readily.

This is not just about old vBulletin customers, you do realise that don't you. Customers come and go who are not happy - and are replaced by new customers who like what they see. Also if greersfos is happy with the "so called" leaked pricing structure. That's his choice, nobody is twisting anybodys arm here to make them buy vBulletin 4 if they don't like the new prices when they are officially announced.
      Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 29 May '09, 2:35pm.

Comment

If VB raises prices for VB4, I'll be moving to IPB. Even though I like VB better, I don't think I'll be able to afford the new prices compared to that off IPB, which is a lot cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFroot_ View Post
          Make that two.
          I find vB to be of high quality and has excellent support. Much better than programs I have paid hundreds for.

If this is what IB needs to do to make vB a sustainable company, fine. The choice is yours and mine whether to remain vB customers. And everything is pure speculation at this point.

Edit: And if my expenses go up I know my members will help absorb the costs.
          ...steven
          www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
          bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
          "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

I'm going to wait myself. I'm still going to give Jelsoft a chance and hope things work out for the best. I've been here since the start of Jelsoft and I'm not wanting to give them the benefit of doubt for now.

I may move 1 or 2 forums away from vB, but I will keep 1-2 of them just in case things DO go well.

Comment

I'm waiting too. I still have faith in IB. But I have put all my plans on hold. I just wish they would finalize the pricing scheme and make the announcement. It should not have taken this long after the leak. It caused too much trouble. Damage control is part business. But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. VB has served me well for 7 years now.
              Canadian Bodybuilding | Canadian Bodybuilding Forum

Comment

I still have faith in vB, though I'm worried with what 3.7-now has shown, that being the software's framework looks like you've gotta build down before you can build up. I gotta hope for the best that the new Style Manager and otherwise framework.

IPB is just a no, even IPB3, I hate it's framework and it has a learning curve, which is a very bad thing for any interface.

Comment

Originally posted by 1996 328ti View Post
                  Make that two.
                  I find vB to be of high quality and has excellent support. Much better than programs I have paid hundreds for.

If this is what IB needs to do to make vB a sustainable company, fine. The choice is yours and mine whether to remain vB customers. And everything is pure speculation at this point.

Edit: And if my expenses go up I know my members will help absorb the costs.
                  You're most fortunate.

Many of us are not in that position. I'm lucky to get the price of a loaf of bread out of my site. I think that if Jelsoft pull the plug on the many customers like me, then it'll be a sad day for everyone who's been involved in this software from the early days and supported the company through good and bad.

I have no doubt Jelsoft would survive the inevitable exodus of customers. However, it's never an ideal situation to have thousands of former customers who would not only never touch you with a bargepole, but will put the same message out to anyone who asks them for recommendations.

This is a last chance saloon for Jelsoft with many people - get this wrong and you've blown it with a lot of people, for ever.

If I get forced off vB, I will recommend Invision forever and to anyone who asks. And if I ever came to be in a position where I *could* afford vB again, or was making a purchase for someone who could, then I would not use it on principle.

Accountants never factor in "good will" and "bad will"...I believe exactly that was said by Steve in the leaked document. A large amount of bad will is NOT good for a company that never advertises!
                  MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
                  AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

vB is already generating lots of bad will between the broken promises (regular status updates and road maps), the leak which many ARE taking as gospel* until a deffinitive licensing plan is announced for vb4, and inadvertant or not, other changes that have taken place but are too numerous in scope to mention here.
                    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

This thread, like all the threads in the 'Licensed Customer Feedback' forum, are completely pointless. It's just drama at this point. IB/Jelsoft is gonna do what they're gonna do on pricing, renewals, etc. I am fully expecting to have to cough up $300 to buy vB4.

Actually, I lied. There is one thread worth reading in 'Licensed Customer Feedback' forum. The one about there being no public beta.

vBulletin is just moving to the same development method as any other major software like Photoshop, Office, etc. Customer feedback is a factor, but it's no longer THE factor. The feature set is decided, implemented, bug tested, and the product is released on or near the scheduled release date.

It's kind of startling compared to how FileZilla, Wordpress, phpBB, etc. are developed. But this is the choice that IB has made, and nothing we can say is going to change it. We'll see if the 'closed box' development cycle that works so well for Adobe and Microsoft pays off for Jelsoft/IB or scares off a bunch of customers.

Comment

Originally posted by mp3u View Post
                        I for one would love to hear from Jelsoft too. The pricing end of things doesn't bother me as much as the fact that there will be no Beta release.
                        If this proves to be true then I disagree 100% with this decision. Why in the hell would you release a non public tested 4.x release! In "my" opinion they are doing this to beat IPB to the punch and get their new version out first (which is complete BS).

I for one would rather have a fully public tested Beta/RC to report all the bugs and have a much more stable/bug free piece of software. Very disappointing and this really makes me rethink IB's/vBulletin's logic (for the first time ever). I've never had a ***** about vB but if they would rather have 4.x out before IPB's new release then it's all about the money and screw the loyal customers...
                        Last edited by pank; Mon 1 Jun '09, 4:27pm.
                        Bob- (pank)
                        pankpages.com / http://twitter.com/_pank

Comment

Originally posted by pank View Post
                          If this proves to be true then I disagree 100% with this decision. Why in the hell would you release a non public tested 4.x release! In "my" opinion they are doing this to beat IPB to the punch and get their new version out first (which is complete BS).

I for one would rather have a fully public tested Beta/RC to report all the bugs and have a much more stable/bug free piece of software. Very disappointing and this really makes me rethink IB's/vBulletin's logic (for the first time ever). I've never had a ***** about vB but if they would rather have 4.x out before IPB's new release then it's all about the money and screw the loyal customers...
                          I agree with you on the public beta. I hate to say it, I know IB is trying to pull something different and new. But, WHEN your customers are telling you to NOT change, then you SHOULD listen. Most businesses, who've had customers disagree with the way the company is running. Well, they usually shut down or take a HUGE hit. I thought IB would know better?

Pank, you should just buy a IPB license and port your skins over. I think you'll make more in the long run. That's the next place to invest in as far as I can see. At least there, they LISTEN to their customers.

I know Jelsoft did that earlier before it was SOLD and that was WHY vB was so great. Too bad IB is missing what got vB so popular in the first place.

Comment

To be honest I don't agree with you. Before vBulletin was sold to IB they was losing ground way to fast to IPB. Hence why we have this situation now because they rested on their success for too many years, refusing to bring out add-ons that people had been asking for over many years. They wasn't moving forward, and were relying on the forum product and vB.org way to much.

IB if truth be said are picking up the peices of that, and have moved things along a hell of a lot faster than would have happened had IB not bought vBulletin. I think vBulletin would be in a much worse situation now had IB not stepped in. And to be honest, I think the previous owner of vBulletin picked his timing very well to sell it before it went belly up to IPB.

Thats my opinion anyway.
                            Last edited by MRGTB; Mon 1 Jun '09, 9:46pm.

Comment

What's IB?
                              If you would like to see a Mass PM feature in VB please vote for it here
                              *Learn Hungarian*

Comment

Originally posted by dtommy79 View Post
                                What's IB?
                                Internet Brands. The company that owns Jelsoft, the makers of vBulletin.
                                HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!
                                Disney Forums - Disney theme parks, vacation, entertainment, and more!
                                iLoveTalk - Our general discussion forum.
                                VeggieBoards - The largest and most active vegetarian forum!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X