Can you change the number of members?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you change the number of members?

This may be a stupid question..... but can you modify the number of members on a Vbulletin Forum?

Like if I wanted to start with 5000 members? Is that possible?

Originally posted by Forum Newbie View Post
    This may be a stupid question..... but can you modify the number of members on a Vbulletin Forum?

Like if I wanted to start with 5000 members? Is that possible?
    Not recommended, but possible.
    Be creative,start inventing them.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

sure you can, but people visiting a site will be asking:
      where are these members,
      they do not post,
      they are not active,
      it's a stupid stats hack,
      this site admin try to fool us,
      we're not morons, we quit

... that will be the process...
      oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

may be it is better to remove this number until you will be satisfied with it?
        http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/images/editor/smilie.gif

Comment

Okay, that sounds good.

How would you remove it?

Comment

Its common sense that if you started your site on april 29th at 8 am EST, that you won't have 5,000 members come 9pm EST or even the next day. It's common sense, it just doesn't work that way, work for a REAL member count, with REAL members, advertise alot and promote your new forum, it'll grow.

Comment

Too true.

But still - how do you change the membership stat? Suppose you have 5 members, but you want the public stat to say you have 30? Or you have 100, but you want the visible stat to say you have 500?

Comment

You have to modify the code to do this. There are addons at www.vbulletin.org that will allow you to artificially inflate your membership. However this probably won't have the affect that you think it will.

A forum with 5000 members and no content is a dead forum and will not gather more registrations. Instead people looking for active communities will simply go back to their favorite search engine and click the next link in the results list. The best way to make your forum appear to be active and gather new users is to make it active by posting a ton of stuff yourself and finding friends and colleagues that will do the same.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Wawa View Post
                  Okay, that sounds good.

How would you remove it?
                  When you purchase vB, it will be a simple code removal. Post in a support forum when you buy it and somebody will tell you exactly what to do.

Comment

A low member count can sometimes be an advantage. Quite a few people will join a forum if they think it's a budding forum with a lot of potential, the low member count means they believe they can establish themselves as big figures in it. On the otherhand a very large forum can deter people because they're worried they'll be lost in the numbers.

Of course a good forum either way will attract members.
                    - TomJames

Comment

Originally posted by j883376 View Post
                      When you purchase vB, it will be a simple code removal. Post in a support forum when you buy it and somebody will tell you exactly what to do.
                      Actually, I did purchase my license about a month ago. I posted my question in this thread here in the pre-sales forum because this is where the subject was raised by someone else.

If it is a simple code removal, I would be glad to hear about it.

Comment

Please post the request in the support forum, or open a support ticket for that
                        Best Regards,
                        Andy Huang

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X