oracle takeovers, vb and mysql

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oracle takeovers, vb and mysql

oracle has now bought sun; and sun bought mysql last year.

there is some sort of uncertainty in the community with regards to mysql's future: will oracle keep it or kill it? or let it languish in a state of arrested development until you are coaxed or cajoled into upgrading to oracle db...

what plans does vb have in case mysql gets killed?
    any ports to postgres? are you considering that in version 4, just in case?
    Last edited by salik; Sat 25 Apr '09, 11:18pm.

I have one admin who would love it if vb could run on postgres SQL. I somehow doubt that MYSQL will get killed off, its one of the most popular database solutions; it'd be a very bad business move, at least in the short term.
    Some of my Mods:
    Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb3.6+ version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
    Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb4 version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
    Use Original thread for Comments - Uses the original thread for comments for any forum threads promoted to CMS articles.
    Custom Friendly Urls - Allows customisation of forum urls from the admin CP.

Comment

There's no reason for them to kill MySQL, it doesn't really compete with their main database product. Anyway, I would hope that Jelsoft would go with PostgreSQL if MySQL did become unsuitable for whatever reason.
      - TomJames

Comment

In all honesty, it wouldn't be hard to support multiple database backends. Drupal does it reasonably well, i'm sure other products do as well.
        Some of my Mods:
        Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb3.6+ version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
        Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb4 version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
        Use Original thread for Comments - Uses the original thread for comments for any forum threads promoted to CMS articles.
        Custom Friendly Urls - Allows customisation of forum urls from the admin CP.

Comment

I am confident that vBulletin's future product will then switch to supporting a 'free' version of MySQL or other alternatives such as PostgreSQL, etc.

I also have doubt that the focus should be on them trying to kill off MySQL, they realized that cloud computing is going to be big, they want to have a hand in the market to ensure they're the ones with the database that's being used. Don't forget, huge hardware, huge open source community around MySQL .. it would be very very stupid to say : let's get rid of mysql as a free product.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X