Question about IP checking capabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about IP checking capabilities

I've been to many vBulletin communities, and while I have thought about getting my own, and this question could help me decide if I'll want to or not, I'd really just like to cure this ailing curiosity of mine; I'm hoping somebody can help out.

I've always wondered about how the IP check works in vBulletin. I realize that with the different "hacks" people release, it can work differently (or I don't understand the hacks very well), but if you were to have one of the more recent versions - 3.6 and up - how does IP checking work?

My main question is, what statistics does it retrieve and display? Only xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx number IP, or does it show hostname / domain? (Such as blahblah.sbcglobal.net, or whatever you use). Can it detect even Highly Anonymous / Elite Proxies?

The reason I ask is here is because in the communities I've been in, asking this would make you seem suspicious, like you're trying to beat the IP detection somehow. That's not what I'm doing; if our IP addresses are no secret to the administrators (and even the normal members; I've been to sites in which the mods would fulfill virtually any and every IP check request anyone made), then their power to check should be no secret to us, I suppose

I'm really just curious about how it all works.

It shows IP address and hostname, if one is associated with that IP.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X