Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a lot of Q's

Hey there,
    I have a lot of questions, that I would love it if some one could help me with. I am feeling very overwhelmed at the moment.

I already own a forum, and I am far from happy with their services, so would love to change to a vbulletin forum. I know I cant transfer members and posts over from my current forum to my new one. Im ok with that.

But I am really confused with the processes and requirements of vbulletin forums. Im not really up to date with all the terms, and its making me feel very overwhelmed.

So can some one please basically tell me step to step what i need to do and set up?
    I know I need webhosting, and a domain name. But do I need a website too? Is it all expensive? Roughly how much would it cost in total to run?
    I would get the indefinate vbulletin package ($180 USD one) but Im not so sure on the webhosting and domain side of things, can I pay a once off payment for those too?

Any help and suggestions would be great. I am extremely confused and not up to date with all of this stuff.

Well i know..

Im also new to vBulletin, so im not sure if I
    would be much of help, but im almost sure
    vBulletin doesn't support the hosting purposes.
    I thought that they gave you the download, and you would have
    to download it to your hosting service.
    In reccommendation in hosting services, depending on
    your choice i'd give you.
    www.hostmonster.com - Im using this, aweesome.
    www.Hostgator.com - Friend uses this. :]
    <33
    But those are what i recommend for hosting purposes.
    Sorry if I didn't understand you correctly.
    <3
    Enjoy.

Edit; Also, you must buy a domain, you can buy one
    when you sign up for your hosting provider,
    as said before
    HostGator / HostMonster
    Usually you get it when purchasing your hosting.
    :]
    Hopefully i made sence, if not, ill be watching this thread..
    So, just reply to me.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, I think ive finally got my head around it all...I think lol.
      So when I set up with a hosting server, I can purchase a domain through them? Or I would have to go to an external website and purchase one and connect it to the webhosting...

Comment

Originally posted by BabyDesigner View Post
        Thanks for your reply, I think ive finally got my head around it all...I think lol.
        So when I set up with a hosting server, I can purchase a domain through them? Or I would have to go to an external website and purchase one and connect it to the webhosting...
        You may purchase a domain through them. :]

Comment

Before you get started developing your own message board, the first thing I recommend is using our vBulletin demo to get familiar with everything it takes to run a message board. It can be a complex task, and you need to be sure you're ready to tackle it.

You can set one up for your own use from this page:

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php

The demo is active for 24 hours. If you feel you need more time, reply to this ticket with the DemoID and ask for an extension.

You will also want to use our manual as a reference while learning the controls. The manual can be found here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/

It covers most of the basic controls for operation of the software.

Once you have decided to purchase, there are 2 license choices.

Owned License ($180 USD):
          This license is a perpetual license. With it, you can run the software forever. It includes email support and 1 year of software updates.
          After the initial year, you can optionally renew access to software updates for a fee. The fee is currently $40 USD if done within 60 days of the expiry date or $60 after. You will still get email support even if you decide to not renew.

Leased License ($100 USD):
          This license is good for 1 year. After the year is up you must either renew the lease, upgrade to an owned license or remove the software from the server. It also includes all software updates and email support for the term of the license.

You can order the software here:
          http://www.vbulletin.com/order/

You will also need webhosting and a domain name. vBulletin requires a web server that includes PHP (minimum version 4.3.3) and MySQL (minimum 4.0.16) installed. As long as you choose a host that meets these requirements you will be able to install and run our software.

You can purchase the domain name at the same time you contract hosting. Most credible hosts now support both PHP and MySQL, and can run our software. We do not make official recommendations, but we do have a hosting review forum here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11

You can also look at http://www.webhostingtalk.com, an independent review site. Sometimes you will find hosting specials there that aren't available elsewhere on the web.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyDesigner View Post
            Hey there,

I already own a forum, and I am far from happy with their services, so would love to change to a vbulletin forum. I know I cant transfer members and posts over from my current forum to my new one. Im ok with that.

Baby Designer, I believe that your assumption that you cannot transfer posts from your current forum to a new vBulletin forum is incorrect. That is, I believe that members and posts can be transferred. (I'm assuming that would be very good news to you.)

Comment

You can see which systems we have importers for here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_systems
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Wawa View Post
                Baby Designer, I believe that your assumption that you cannot transfer posts from your current forum to a new vBulletin forum is incorrect. That is, I believe that members and posts can be transferred. (I'm assuming that would be very good news to you.)
                I really would love to know if that were true, but on the forum server Im using at the moment, on their help boards i have read numerous times that they have blocked this from happening. I will have to check it out.
                Steve Machol I will be checking out the manual to see if it can be done.

Thank you all for your help and support. I did have another question, but it has escaped me.

Comment

I would recommend checking out www.urljet.com for the best vbulletin hosting
                  RazorThemes ~ Cutting Edge Designs

Comment

urljet is a bit expensive for me at this point in time, while my forum is still relatively small.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X