Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will I save time by purchasing vBulletin (as opposed to phpbb)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I save time by purchasing vBulletin (as opposed to phpbb)?

I've been struggling along for some weeks with phpbb3. I'm sure it's a very fine program, but it is just way too time-consuming for me. Every time I want to make the smallest change, I want to whimper and curl up into a little ball because I know all the learning and pain I'm going to have to go through in order to accomplish it.

My question is, then, will vBulletin really be that much easier for me to use? I want to spend my time on content, not on learning code and all kinds of other technical stuff.

If I save time by using vBulletin, it will be a good investment for me. If I'm still spending scads of time doing technical stuff even with vBulletin, though, it will be better for me to give up altogether.

(I'm okay with the phpbb3 Control Panel itself. But the Control Panel doesn't seem to give you all that much control, know what I mean?)

Can you kindly advise?

My vote would be with vBulletin over phpbb, vBulletin (at least for me) is much easy to work on and modify. I had a phpbb forum recently and quickly switched it to vb.
    -- Web Developer for hire
    ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

I have been using phbb3 for awhile and looking at the demo site offerred here is about the same as the admin functions as phpbb3.

I dont see a lot of difference.

So far, the only difference I see in IPB, phpbb3, and VB is that VB has a lot more to offer in the 3rd party mods. But- you wont get any help here with 3rd party mods. So you are paying for the "basics" here to get the 3rd party mods elsewhere.

Kind of a rip off considering phpbb3 is free and people will come up with mods later on that will come close to matching the 3rd party mods here.

I have thought about purchasing VB many many times and if they offerred the version I wanted (3rd party functions added and ready to roll) then I would've done it.

It doesnt make sense to purchase the basics IMO and then still have to do all the modding yourself

Just MO

Comment

No one else has an opinion on whether I will save time by using vBulletin instead of phpbb3?

So far, only one person thinks that vBulletin will make my life easier. <puzzled>

If vBulletin doesn't make things easier, why would someone purchase vBulletin instead of using a free product?

Comment

In my previous life, I maintained a forum based on a phpbb-fork for several years before switching to vbulletin. The software was free, and initially had a lot of fun modifying the php code and database.

However, the switch to vbulletin allowed me to focus less on the low-level stuff and stick to template and design efforts. There have been a couple occassions where I've modified php code in minor plugins. For me, it was a wise and productive decision.

Forums are a content-driven endeavour, but you've got to enjoy doing it as well. If you sleep better at night and have more fun with with free software, then I would follow your heart.
          Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Wawa View Post
            No one else has an opinion on whether I will save time by using vBulletin instead of phpbb3?

So far, only one person thinks that vBulletin will make my life easier. <puzzled>
            Baba,

With all due respect this phpbb vs. vBulletin question is asked EVERY DAY. It is a little unrealistic to expect us to come here every day and post the exact same recommendations that we posted yesterday, and the day before, and the day before. I would recommend a search but I can summarize it for you -- I think vBulletin is less work to setup and maintain than phpBB.

vBulletin also has most of the phpBB "add-ons" already built-in, and if you do find an add-on at vBulletin.org you want to use, to install it into vBulletin usually requires uploading 1-2 XML files and that's it. No hacking up PHP files or making file modifications which makes upgrading it a nightmare.

I would suggest the vBulletin Documentation. I hate pointing people to the user manual but this is actually pretty good and gets you started quickly. You are welcome to create a topic under "Troubleshooting" and just ask a bunch of detailed questions and they will get answered. Usually if you find a problem, if you will search for a few keywords you will find a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
              Baba,

With all due respect this phpbb vs. vBulletin question is asked EVERY DAY. It is a little unrealistic to expect us to come here every day and post the exact same recommendations that we posted yesterday, and the day before, and the day before. I would recommend a search but I can summarize it for you -- I think vBulletin is less work to setup and maintain than phpBB.

Feldon, thank you for your reply, and for your recommendations.

In all fairness, I did so some searching, and did read a LOT of threads here before posing my question. I found lots of questions about converting from phpbb to vBulletin, but I personally did not find the specific question that I have posed in this thread.

If I should have found it, I apologize. But I really and truly didn't.

On edit: I have just now again searched for threads containing the word phpbb or phpbb3. There are many, many threads on the conversion process and problems that arise during it. So far as I can see, however, there are few, if any, threads in which the ease of using one software program is compared to the ease of using the other.
              Last edited by Baba Wawa; Thu 12 Mar '09, 5:13pm. Reason: Added additional material.

Comment

Originally posted by Loco.M View Post
                My vote would be with vBulletin over phpbb, vBulletin (at least for me) is much easy to work on and modify. I had a phpbb forum recently and quickly switched it to vb.
                Thank you, Loco! I'm glad to have the benefit of your experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Neith View Post
                  I have been using phbb3 for awhile and looking at the demo site offerred here is about the same as the admin functions as phpbb3.

I dont see a lot of difference.

So far, the only difference I see in IPB, phpbb3, and VB is that VB has a lot more to offer in the 3rd party mods. But- you wont get any help here with 3rd party mods. So you are paying for the "basics" here to get the 3rd party mods elsewhere.

Kind of a rip off considering phpbb3 is free and people will come up with mods later on that will come close to matching the 3rd party mods here.

I have thought about purchasing VB many many times and if they offerred the version I wanted (3rd party functions added and ready to roll) then I would've done it.

It doesnt make sense to purchase the basics IMO and then still have to do all the modding yourself

Just MO
                  Neith, thank you for your reply. I appreciate your honesty.

Comment

Originally posted by motowebmaster View Post
                    In my previous life, I maintained a forum based on a phpbb-fork for several years before switching to vbulletin. The software was free, and initially had a lot of fun modifying the php code and database.

However, the switch to vbulletin allowed me to focus less on the low-level stuff and stick to template and design efforts. There have been a couple occassions where I've modified php code in minor plugins. For me, it was a wise and productive decision.

Forums are a content-driven endeavour, but you've got to enjoy doing it as well. . . .
                    Motowebmaster, thanks very much for your reply. I'm pretty sure I will be purchasing vBulletin, and I will do so in the hope of having an experience similar to yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Wawa View Post
                      I've been struggling along for some weeks with phpbb3. I'm sure it's a very fine program, but it is just way too time-consuming for me. Every time I want to make the smallest change, I want to whimper and curl up into a little ball because I know all the learning and pain I'm going to have to go through in order to accomplish it.

My question is, then, will vBulletin really be that much easier for me to use? I want to spend my time on content, not on learning code and all kinds of other technical stuff.

If I save time by using vBulletin, it will be a good investment for me. If I'm still spending scads of time doing technical stuff even with vBulletin, though, it will be better for me to give up altogether.

(I'm okay with the phpbb3 Control Panel itself. But the Control Panel doesn't seem to give you all that much control, know what I mean?)

Can you kindly advise?
                      VBulletin is far better than PHPBB. IMO but then at the end of the day its down to you. I have had PHPBB forums and there definately a lack of what VB offers. If the choice was mine it would be VB all day long. I'm not just saying that because im in a VB Forum i'd say that to you face to face. VB Rocks!!!

Comment

In terms of customizing your forum, definitely vB is a time saver. It's so easy to customize styles in vBulletin, you can change the entire look of your forum under an hour (or with image customizations - which obviously takes time to edit) in 3 hours or less.

with phpBB you have to traverse through a whole lot of text files and CSS to get the look you need.

Comment

Common sense that all vBulletin users are here because they like it.. right? Or they would still be with phpbb ._.

Comment

If there were some Pros about phpBB vs. some Cons about vBulletin, I'd state it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X