Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there migration issues in going from Windows to Linux with VB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there migration issues in going from Windows to Linux with VB?

I'm planning on loading VB on my local Windows machine in order to work on customizing the template and giving it the look I'm after before going online with a hosting company that will more than likely be running Linux.

1. Does anyone know if there are any issues with doing this? Will I possibly lose some of the settings when I migrate to a Linux based machine?

2. If there is risk of losing information in doing the migration, has anyone installed Linux on a separate hard drive and booted up from that drive which will have VB installed?

I really want to work offline with VB on my local machine but I don't want to risk losing my tweaks and mods when I migrate over to Linux.

Any guidance and suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There should not be any migration issues.. All the files for vBulletin are standard text or image files. The data is stored in a MySQL database which is the same file formats on Windows or Linux.

I have a local development server which uses IIS 7 under Windows Vista and Windows 7. I have a live server which uses Apache under Linux. Have never had a problem moving information from one to the other.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Hey thanks a bunch! I appreciate your hands on personal experience here.

Comment

Okay, I just purchased and downloaded the zip file.

Now I need to know how to get VB installed to run locally on my machine. The manual doesn't seem to address how to install for offline operation:
        The first step towards running vBulletin after you have purchased a license is to download the latest vBulletin package, upload it to your web server and run the installer script.
        Does anyone know where I can learn how to install locally for offline operation?

Comment

Put it in a sub-directory of your inetpub directory and unzip the files.

Please see the thread linked below so you can post in the appropriate support forum with your questions:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79557
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X