Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Constantly changing templates - any plans to fix this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constantly changing templates - any plans to fix this?

Are there any plans to fix the issues outlined in http://www.apaddedcell.com/goodbye-v...reasons-switch ? While vB looks like a pretty cool product, from my (admittedly brief) experience with it, some of those issues seem like valid ones.

The one I'm particularly concerned about is the fact that customised templates need to be manually updated with almost every vB update. When you add the fact that vB updates come out frequently (and some of them address security issues so you have to install them if you don't want to get hacked) it means that just keeping your forum looking the same could be a never-ending job.

The size of the HTML output is also somewhat of a concern. Any plans to address that one?

Yes, both the issues with template changes and use of tables will be addressed in vBulletin 4.0 which is currently under production.

What that post fails to say is that 95% of the templates are never customized and do not need to be changed and if you highly customize your Drupal templates, then you need to make extensive changes each major release as well. Most of our customers never even touch the templates and you don't need to in order to change colors or images.

Please see: http://www.vbulletin.com/vbulletin4/
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thanks, Wayne. Of course, I should have read that vB 4 page before asking.

I will ask one more silly question, however. That page mentions that a beta release is scheduled for early Q2 2009. With the start of Q2 being a month away is it still on track to be released that soon? I'm sure that's been asked and answered elsewhere, but the sheer volume of threads about vB 4 is overwhelming and a simple search didn't come up with the answer.

Comment

I also find it to be annoying. My VB site has a very customized template, you wouldn't recognize it as VB but I dont blame VB for it. the VB 3 series layout is too bland for me so I had it re-coded. I am hoping VB4 has better looking templates, and if I do choose to have a custom one, I dont want to manually fix them or kept being told they are out of date...

Comment

You could just save the template it if you do not deem the change nessary on your highly modified site. The save will make the notification go the template go away.
          Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          Last edited by Zachery; Thu 26 Feb '09, 11:43pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
            You could just save the template it if you do not deem the change nessary on your highly modified site. The save will make the notification or the template go away.
            I have been ignoring the notification, but I do go over most of them to see what has changed. A lof of times I cant figure out WHY it has changed. Sometimes its just re-coded differently. I just can't wait for VB4

Comment

Sorry, typo owned there >.<

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X