Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub Domains and vB

Hi
    Does vB enable sub domains? For example is it possible to have something like david.vBforumdotcom, mike.vBforumdotcom? for the different forums within a vB forum?

I found this information
    "Per the license agreement, you are only allowed one instance of vBulletin on one domain per vBulletin license"
    "Your forum is accessable from multiple domains but the content is the same for each link."

Any help is appreciated

A subdomain is a different domain and if I understand you correctly this will require separate licenses.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Steve i have asame problem i have 3 domains name not subdomains please can you explain for us again or some link please sorry my english not very well

Many thanks

Comment

Each license is good for one installation of vBulletin, i.e., one set of vB files on one domain with one set of vB database tables. As an example, our support forums are all under one license:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/

As per the license agreement:

"vBulletin license grants you the right to run one instance (a single installation) of the Software on one web server and one web site for each license purchased. Each license may power one instance of the Software on one domain. For each installed instance of the Software, a separate license is required. Modifications to the software or database to circumvent the one-license-one-board rule are prohibited."

You can view the license agreement here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/order/license_agreement.php

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hi, Thank you for the reply, I am by now means a expert on this topic, but it seems that it would satisfy the requirement that there be only one single installation of vB, and yet still have subdomains. IF there is the ONE forum, and ONE installation but a part of that forum is accessed from a sub domain would that really require a seperate licenses for each subdomain? For example (again, I am not an expert on these topics) Blogspot has subdomains, yet possibly only one installation of their master blogspot program and database, and I would suppose that parts of that database are accessed form different subdomains. Thank you for any help.

Comment

That depends. If the intent of having subdomains is to make it appear these are separate sites with different content, then the answer is that this requires multiple licenses - one for each subdomain.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Sorry Steve I can't speak english very well but my question is
              i have 6 domains name can i direct to one domain name for example forexample.com forexample1.com direct to forexample.com is it ok or not my question is this

many thanks

Comment

How could the question of intent best be clarified?

There's sometimes a difference between an intention and what other people think an intention is. Would there need to be a disclaimer or something clarifying that they are really sub part of one big site [but isn't obvious by the maindomain name]? It seems a difficult question.

Comment

If they all point to the exact same site and content, then that is allowed.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X