Install of mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install of mods

How simple is it to install a typical mod? I know this can vary but perhaps someone can show me the typical steps most mods require? In comparison, how is it against mods for phpbb? I have issues with mods being unrealiable and require too much editing to the template which may mess with my current template and in the future make it difficult to upgrade with phpbb.
    Thanks.
    Art of Travel Blogging : The Travel Blogging Community for Beginners and Professionals

That can vary greatly by Mod. You should check the instructions for various Mods over at www.vbulletin.org.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

The most Mods can be installed very easy ( Upload the files, install the product-xml file and change the template if necessary)

Comment

Most of the mods for phpBB are already built into vBulletin.

This is not just a boastful statement. I have looked at lists upon lists of phpBB mods and most are already in vB.

If you do want to install a mod in vB, it usually requires uploading XML files and PHP files. You almost never need to hack up a PHP file.

Comment

All the downloads at vbulletin.org requires a license. It gives me a general idea though. Thanks for the help!
          Art of Travel Blogging : The Travel Blogging Community for Beginners and Professionals

Comment

So - if a mod for vB has JUST an xml file - am I to upload that and call it up on the server? What do I do with it (the .xml) file once I download it?

With phpbb I could download a mod and it would have an .xml file that I would double click and it would open in my IE browser. When I double clicked the .xml file for a mod (from the .org site) for vB it opened in IE, but it was all the html/xml code...

Comment

Each mod has it's own instructions. They usually involve upload all the files for that mod then installing the XML file. Just follow the instructions.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Here is pretty much what it says:
                Installation:
                1. Templates to add:3
                2. Templates to edit:3
                3. Plugins Added: 14
                4. Phrases Added: 12
                5. Quires ran: 9

Instructions:
                1. Import the Product .xml
                2. Edit templates
                The only file to download was the .xml file. The mod page shows the instructions for editing the templates (understood) - but it doesn't say what to do with the Product .xml file... "Import"???

Comment

You add new products here:

Admin CP -> Plugins & Products -> Manage Products -> Add/Import Product

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                    You add new products here:

So then I would upload the product.xml file to where in my vB folder? Right in the root directory?

Comment

No. You need to upload the files for that add-on to the directories specified in the instructions. For further help please post in the appropriate thread for that add-on over at vbulletin.org.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Go here:

Click BROWSE. Find the XML file on your hard drive. Click Open.

If you are opening an FTP window, you're in the wrong place.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X