Migration from SMF 2.0-RC1 to current VB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migration from SMF 2.0-RC1 to current VB

I have a 5 month old forum on the new SMF 2.0-RC1. It functions, but it is not pleasant to administer or for my users. I am considering making the jump to VB. Has anyone attempted to migrate from the new SMF to Vb, and if so- 1)what were the results, and 2)what special conditions arose?
    I would like (like everyone else) to migrate without losing post/user/PM data. I could care less about "karma" or other such novelties.

I believe a few people have migrated from the new SMF over to vBulletin. If my memory serves me correctly, the import was problem-free. You're better off checking with the ImpEx importer to double-check that it will correctly migrate.

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/ImPex

Comment

I looked there, and it listed 1.1.4 as the latest supported version, and I am in 2.0, though I can't imagine the file structure being all that different. I have not placed an order with VB yet, so I am unable to post in the imPex forum and ask the question.

Comment

2 is supported, though isn't going to be moved to Tier 1 (as 1.4 is) until it gets to a gold release, then I can track it properly.

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_module_dump

SMF
        Tier = 2
        Source version support in ImpEx = 2.0 beta (& RC)

* Import usergroup
        * Import user
        * Import forum
        * Import thread
        * Import post
        * Import Private messages
        * Import poll
        * Import attachment
        * Import moderator
        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Thank you for that information. Is there migration support if I run into a snag?

Comment

Originally posted by Pete838 View Post
            Thank you for that information. Is there migration support if I run into a snag?
            There is support for getting it going yes, the nature of impex is that once it is installed, it's point and click. 99% of the issues I've seen are solved by this :

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_cleanup
            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I was able to successfully migrate my database from SMF 2.0RC1 to vB 3.8.1 with no major troubles using.
              Some (about 25%) of my users had to have their old accounts manually 'updated' by an admin. There doesn't seem to be a good reason for this, the passwords had not been altered, but were not working regardless. I had to ask them to create a new account, then merge the old with the new and update post counts. The users were not able to reset the passwords on their own.
              All in all it was not a difficult transition, but there was some downtime while I set all the board and usergroup permissions (I have some private forums only accessible by certain usergroups).
              I did not require any technical support.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X