purchasing vb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• purchasing vb

I just have a few more questions which i really want to get help on and understand (a few might sound dumb but i will appreciate all the help i can get)

1. After I buy the Owned Liscence, is it necessary to pay again at any time or renew it? What if I didnt want to renew it? Would my board still be there or will it expire or anything like that?

2. Would I be able to buy the forum, download it and the start working on it (fix it up, create catergories, forums, upload smilies etc) even if I havent attached a webhost yet? Would I be able to fix it first and then attach it to the webhost or will it not allow me to do that?

3. Is there a limit to how many smilies/emoctions I can upload to the forum?

4. Will I be able to add more colours and font styles to the forum then the ones already available?

5. What is MySQL disk space? Please could anyone help me understand this and also how much would i need?

6. Would I be able to put up seperate banners/logos in each forum section? Its one of the things I have on my free forum right now and I want to know would I be able to do that with VB?

Thanks.
    Last edited by shubz; Mon 9 Feb '09, 7:17am.

Originally posted by shubz View Post
    I just have a few more questions which i really want to get help on and understand (a few might sound dumb but i will appreciate all the help i can get)

1. After I buy the Owned Liscence, is it necessary to pay again at any time or renew it? What if I didnt want to renew it? Would my board still be there or will it expire or anything like that?

2. Would I be able to buy the forum, download it and the start working on it (fix it up, create catergories, forums, upload smilies etc) even if I havent attached a webhost yet? Would I be able to fix it first and then attach it to the webhost or will it not allow me to do that?

3. Is there a limit to how many smilies/emoctions I can upload to the forum?

4. Will I be able to add more colours and font styles to the forum then the ones already available?

5. What is MySQL disk space? Please could anyone help me understand this and also how much would i need?

6. Would I be able to put up seperate banners/logos in each forum section? Its one of the things I have on my free forum right now and I want to know would I be able to do that with VB?

Thanks.
    1. If you choose not to renew you can keep your board online. All you lose is the ability to upgrade your forum and get support.

2. You can, it would just be easier to upload it, close the board so no one can register or use a different link and when your done open it up.

3. Yes you can

4. Yes you can

5. It's the backend. If your host has MySQL support you're fine. The amount of space you have for it is the same amount as you have for the whole website.

6. Yeah, you can have a different theme for each forum if you wanted to

Comment

Originally posted by Psybadek View Post
      1. If you choose not to renew you can keep your board online. All you lose is the ability to upgrade your forum and get support.
      following up on that, say if i couldnt pay for renewal after the first year for whatever reasons, and paid the following year, would i get the upgrades upto that year or how does it work?

also, the mods that you can get at vbulletin.org, do they all have to be paid for?

after i download the vb.test why doesnt it allow me to open the file?

(for question 2
      if i buy it, would i be able to open the file and view it as a forum and log in and fix it up? if that is possible i'd like to do that

also, is there like a instruction thing on here that gives you instructions and guides on how to attach vb to a webhost and how to set the forum up

i don understand technical things much but i would really like my own vb forum.

Comment

following up on that, say if i couldnt pay for renewal after the first year for whatever reasons, and paid the following year, would i get the upgrades upto that year or how does it work?
        With an owned license, you are permitted to run vBulletin on your site forever; hence, you own the license.
        However, you only get access to download updates and new releases for one year from the purchase date. When this download access expires, it is $40 to renew. If you wait more than 60 days to renew, it is $60. You do not have to renew the download access if you are not interested in downloading new releases.

also, the mods that you can get at vbulletin.org, do they all have to be paid for?
        All of the modifications at vbulletin.org are free. There are some that have better versions which are not free, but they are not listed at vbulletin.org; they are not allowed to be as far as I'm aware.

also, is there like a instruction thing on here that gives you instructions and guides on how to attach vb to a webhost and how to set the forum up
        www.vbulletin.com/docs
        Regards,
        Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
          With an owned license, you are permitted to run vBulletin on your site forever; hence, you own the license.
          However, you only get access to download updates and new releases for one year from the purchase date. When this download access expires, it is $40 to renew. If you wait more than 60 days to renew, it is $60. You do not have to renew the download access if you are not interested in downloading new releases.
          thanks very much for your help?
          how much is it to renew it in sterling (£'s)

and does anyone know where i can get cheap-ish/affordable webhosting that supports vb? i can find any
          i need one that will allow me to pay in £'s, all the ones i find are in $'s
          also, what is a subdomain?

Comment

thanks very much for your help?
            how much is it to renew it in sterling (£'s)

and does anyone know where i can get cheap-ish/affordable webhosting that supports vb? i can find any
            $40/$60 converts to £27.55/£41.33. But I'm not sure if vBulletin's pricing is equivalent to that conversion.
            Regards,
            Nick

Comment

1) If you don't renew, then you can't get new versions of the software.

2) If you really want, you can install LAMP or some other all-in-pack of Apache, MySQL, and PHP to your PC and start tinkering with vBulletin.Then when you're happy, get some web hosting and upload the files there.

3) Not that I am aware of. Note that smilies are converted in the order they appear in the control panel. If you have :P and :Pickled in that order, then :Pickled will render as ickled instead of the longer smiley. So you have to make sure you have the smilies entered from longest to shortest. It's an eccentricity of vBulletin that you might encounter if you have hundreds of smilies.

4) You can easily recolor and adjust the fonts of vBulletin. This requires no HTML knowledge. You can also swap buttons, change the header, footer, and whole display of the forums. This will depend on how much HTML you know.

5) Only idiotic web hosts like 1&1 measure MySQL disk space separate from your web disk space.

6) It is easy to customize your forum and have different styles/schemes kick in depending on which part of the forum is being browsed. The only thing vBulletin frowns on is creating the illusion of completely separate forums. As long as you maintain the link to the "home" or "top" forum, it's a-ok.

after i download the vb.test why doesnt it allow me to open the file?
              Because you have to have a full web environment installed on your PC. That's Apache, PHP, and MySQL. You can download the LAMP package to install all that on your PC.

You need webhostingtalk.com

You can have your forum at http://www.shubz.com/ at http://www.shubz.com/forum/ or at http://forums.shubz.com/. The last one is perfect example of a subdomain.

Comment

thanks feldon

I dont think i will be able to download LAMP on my computer as its not mine, its my brothers

so if i had a webhost would i be able to open the forum?

plus, after buying it, we have to download the latest version and save it, does it have to be saved on the computer at all times to have it online? you know when topics are started and stuff, where does the info get stored?

and how to i attach my webhost to the forum? i downloaded the test version but i dont know how to attach it to my webhost

Comment

and how to i attach my webhost to the forum? i downloaded the test version but i dont know how to attach it to my webhost
                  Don't use that "test" version.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

so if i had a webhost would i be able to open the forum?
                    You need a webhost that meets the minimum requirements of vBulletin. This is PHP 5, MySQL 4.1, and Apache.

plus, after buying it, we have to download the latest version and save it, does it have to be saved on the computer at all times to have it online? you know when topics are started and stuff, where does the info get stored?
                    Web hosting is essentially a company with a bunch of web-connected computers with special software installed that loans out a section of a computer's hard drive for you to use.

The data for your forum gets stored in a MySQL database. It is like a big Excel spreadsheet. To backup your forum, you'll need to make a dump of this MySQL database and download it to your PC.
                    Transferring files to a webhost requires an FTP program (File Transfer Protocol). It is like Windows Explorer except you are uploading files to a remote computer.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X