Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some clarifications needed

Hi everyone,

It was fun having try out the Demo version of vBulletin. I have some clarifications and qns need to ask the experts here.

a. I subscribe to a host server (eg. www.goalgogoal.com) with php and mysql, then i just upload the "upload" folder to the server using my server's username and password to login to the server host from a ftp software. Do the "upload" folder vBulletin auto detect the php and mysql? Do i need to configure anything on php and mysql? I just upload the "upload" folder and thats it?
    b. I read that if i want the first page of the forum to be set to the domain name (eg www.goalgogoal.com) i need to upload something to public_html? What is this public_html? A folder inside the "upload" folder?
    c. Do i just upload the entire "upload" folder or i need to go into the "upload" folder and just upload everything inside to the host server?
    d. How do i include those flash or jpeg images under the logo of the first page of the forum? Like some forum sites they have those banners under the logo. I can't find any option for that at the Forum and Moderator section at the Admin CP, please help.
    e. If i purchase either the Owned License or Leased License version, can i use it on more than 1 domain names?
    f. What is Metacharge paying method like? Do i need to go to its website to register first and transfer money to it before making payment here? Is Metacharge a third party paying system that allow users to enter their credit card info from MasterCard/VISA/AMEX etc. or what is it like? AMEX works in Metacharge? How?
    g. How do i see users login info (eg IP, time etc.) and activities information? Is it in the mysql database? If it is where can i see and find it?
    h. How fast can i get to download the version and receive all the info if i purchase through Metacharge?

Someone please help, thanks in advance.

oh ya one more qns,
    i. how to create a Sticky thread? I can only find the Announcement part but can't find the Sticky part in the Demo version.

Comment

Originally posted by GoalGoGoal View Post
      e. If i purchase either the Owned License or Leased License version, can i use it on more than 1 domain names?
      You may set it up in one folder only.

f. What is Metacharge paying method like? Do i need to go to its website to register first and transfer money to it before making payment here? Is Metacharge a third party paying system that allow users to enter their credit card info from MasterCard/VISA/AMEX etc. or what is it like? AMEX works in Metacharge? How?
      You have to have an account with Visa,Mastercard,etc.
      Choose Metacharge.
      They will get the money out of your account to pay for vB.

h. How fast can i get to download the version and receive all the info if i purchase through Metacharge?
      You will receive the necessary info from vB in an email.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Thanks beishe8 for the reply.

Does the Hatchling plan of $4.95/mth plan good enough for hosting a vBulletin forum of estimated 1000-2000 registered users? Anyone here try this plan before with any feedbacks? What is Linux web hosting mean? Only can upload stuffs on Linux platform?

Comment

Originally posted by GoalGoGoal View Post
          Does the Hatchling plan of $4.95/mth plan good enough for hosting a vBulletin forum of estimated 1000-2000 registered users?
          Is it from Hostgator?
          If it is than it is a good plan to start your forum with a few hundred users.
          If it grows over that, then you have to change your plan to something else.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
            Is it from Hostgator?
            If it is than it is a good plan to start your forum with a few hundred users.
            If it grows over that, then you have to change your plan to something else.
            Yes it is from Hostgator http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml
            Now im not sure what is meant by Linux web hosting stated there. Does it mean i need to use Linux OS in order to upload my forum and files?

I'm not sure what are the concern areas (bandwidth or database space) but if the forum grows, we need to upgrade to a higher bandwidth plan right? But the Hostgator's Hatchling plan indicated the disk space, bandwidth and database mysql space is unlimited. So i really don't know what should i upgrade when the forum is becoming larger. Can help advice? Sorry for the trouble again.

Comment

I will be paying by Paypal, how fast will i get the confirmation and the download instructions of the forum softare from Jelsoft?

Comment

Note: There is no such thing as 'unlimited' space and bandwidth. I would be very skeptical of anyone offering this.

Assuming you have the funds in your PayPal account to cover the purchase, then it will only be a few minutes.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                  Note: There is no such thing as 'unlimited' space and bandwidth. I would be very skeptical of anyone offering this.

Assuming you have the funds in your PayPal account to cover the purchase, then it will only be a few minutes.
                  Oic.. thanks for the advice dude. Do you have any web server hosting plans for starter like me? I aim to have about 1000 - 2000 register users in the 1st year.

I have found this Base Host plan from http://www.hostican.com/hosting/shared-hosting.php
                  Do you think its better than Hostgator's Hatchling plan?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X