Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VB paid installation

Hi there,
    Was wondering if you could answer this before I purchase.
    I have a domain and a hosting account. There is another community type pecice of software installed on the site but is not being used. If I use the paid install from VB can they make it that the board will appear on the homepage i.e www.mydomain.com as there is currently something else there when you land on this page.
    Also-can a leased licesence later be bought?
    Many thanks.

If I were you I would install Vbulletin myself and put extra saved $$ into buying, not leasing, vbulletin.

To make your forum open on your main page, upload content of the "Upload" folder into your main directory (that's yoursite.com, not yoursite.com/forum).

As far as the other piece of software being used alongwith Vbulletin goes, I don't see why would it cause problems. Hopefully it has its own directory.
    Last edited by kyrgyz; Mon 5 Jan '09, 7:36am.

Comment

Hi Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately this is where I run into problems. I have no experience in doing any off this and everytime I attempt anything it ends in me going bald as I finish up pulling my hair out. It also costs me alot of money - above being only one example.
      I am also concerned about security as the project I am about to embark upon will require me to allow others into my server to get things done for me. I am reasonably intelligent but just struggle with everything to do with webdesign an publishing which is unfortuante as I am an 'Ideas Factory' Have a few ideas that are unquie to the internet which is rare today but will no dobt see alot of copy cat rip offs if I ever mamage to get them up there.
      I will need to purchase a couple of licenes in due course so would be a real help if I could install them myself. Maybe there is someone out there that could show me how. I have gotomeeting on my pc and can share screen, give keyboard etc.

Comment

I recommend you try the installation yourself first. The worst case scenario is that you can't do it and end up purchasing the installation service anyway. The best case scenario is that you save yourself $150.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
          I recommend you try the installation yourself first. The worst case scenario is that you can't do it and end up purchasing the installation service anyway. The best case scenario is that you save yourself $150.
          That's great customer service, Steve.

@cj911 -

The installation is pretty straight forward. The folder name that you upload to really doesn't matter as long as that folder is mapped correctly to the domain that you want to use (i.e. www.mysite.com as opposed to www.mysite.com/forums). This is setup via your hosts control panel.

Since you already have software installed, just clear out that folder and upload the vB files. This is assuming you no longer want to use this other community-based software. Since you said it's no longer being used, I'm assuming you don't want it.

Then, just follow the installation instructions. It's very well documented
          No...No...Meester vBulletin, he no work right.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X