Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I Convert a Huge PunBB Forum - Concerns, Questions & Paid Support Request

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should I Convert a Huge PunBB Forum - Concerns, Questions & Paid Support Request

    Hello All,

    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but since I don't own vBulletin yet I thought this would be the best section.

    Background: I've got a large PunBB forum (thousands of members, hundreds of thousands of posts). I've been thinking about converting my forum to vb for many years. Each month I get more locked into sticking with punbb as my forum gets bigger... but at the same time I find more and more reasons to move... but then I find more reasons not to. (hopefully that makes sense)

    Here are my biggest questions and concerns stopping me from jumping in and making the conversion:

    1) Resource Usage (CPU cycles & Memory): I'm running my forum on a VPS using cPanel. If I run my exact same forum with the exact same usage on the exact same VPS, can I expect my resource usage to drop, stay the same, increase, or majorly spike? I'm very worried my hosting fees and headache will triple.

    2) Converting Data: I know there is a converter / importer for PunBB but I'm concerned because I don't see a ton of success stories. I just can't move to vBulletin unless I know for sure that Users, Forums, Threads, Posts, and Private Messages will be moved over as well. It would be great if passwords could be copied too, but I understand this could be a problem with the encoding.

    3) Preserving Links & Search Engine Rankings: Obviously all my current links to posts (internally and externally) will not work after the conversion. Are there any ways around this? Are they htaccess rules that can be put in place to redirect everything properly? It sure would suck to have every link to forum posts over the past 3 years stop working. Also, with 80% of new visits coming from Search Engines and 10% coming from links to specific posts on my forum I'm VERY concerned about loosing all my built up SEO rankings.

    If all those questions / issues could be resolved, I'd buy a license and move tomorrow!

    Regarding paid conversion: If anybody reading this can, or knows a contractor that can resolve all of the above PLEASE PM me and let me know a price range for the full conversion!

    Again, I've been having this internal debate every quarter for the past 3 years and it is driving me crazy! I look forward to your thoughts and hopefully a discussion that will finally convince me on the path I must commit to.

    Cheers!

  • #2
    Originally posted by Vantive View Post
    Hello All,

    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but since I don't own vBulletin yet I thought this would be the best section.

    Background: I've got a large PunBB forum (thousands of members, hundreds of thousands of posts).
    What version of PunBB ?

    Originally posted by Vantive View Post
    2) Converting Data: I know there is a converter / importer for PunBB but I'm concerned because I don't see a ton of success stories. I just can't move to vBulletin unless I know for sure that Users, Forums, Threads, Posts, and Private Messages will be moved over as well. It would be great if passwords could be copied too, but I understand this could be a problem with the encoding.
    Passwords can be, as it's a unsalted MD5, if that has changed then they cannot.

    Originally posted by Vantive View Post
    3) Preserving Links & Search Engine Rankings: Obviously all my current links to posts (internally and externally) will not work after the conversion. Are there any ways around this? Are they htaccess rules that can be put in place to redirect everything properly? It sure would suck to have every link to forum posts over the past 3 years stop working. Also, with 80% of new visits coming from Search Engines and 10% coming from links to specific posts on my forum I'm VERY concerned about loosing all my built up SEO rankings.
    See the link in my sig.
    I wrote ImpEx.

    Blog | Me

    Comment


    • #3
      Jerry, you could be my new best friend!

      Current version: PunBB 1.2.17

      I don't have a ton of mods that would effect the import and I haven't ever changed anything related to password encryption.

      One thing I don't see in ImpEx was the ability to import Private Messages. Not the end of the world if everything else imports, but that would be cool (and easier for my community that resists change).

      That's great news about URLs (if it will work <fingers crossed>).

      So Jerry, do you do contract work?

      Anybody have thoughts on resource usage? PunBB is known for being very lightweight, so I'm wondering what to expect if I move to VB.

      Cheers!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Vantive View Post
        Anybody have thoughts on resource usage? PunBB is known for being very lightweight, so I'm wondering what to expect if I move to VB.
        The more important here is the number of on-line users

        Comment


        • #5
          Fantastic question Deriel, sorry I didn't post that!

          Max concurrent users ever was 483 (that is based on a 15 minute timeout). Generally my forum has a daily peak of 400 during the day (half guests, half registered users) and a daytime average of about 300 users, and a minimum in the wee hours of the night of about 40 users.

          I'd say the forum does about 5 million pageviews a month on average, but some months it may go as high as 7 million.

          Comment


          • #6
            The latest as per :

            http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_module_dump

            Is this :

            PunBB
            Tier = 2
            Source version support in ImpEx = 1.2.10

            * Import usergroup
            * Import User
            * Import Forum
            * Import Thread
            * Import Post
            * Import Moderator

            The script in my link would need customising.

            I'm too busy at the moment to take on any more ( Also FYI - it's against the rules here to advertist work).

            The best place for that is on www.vbulletin.org, that is where the hired guns hang out.

            And most import bugs and updates with systems will come back to me via official lines anyway.
            I wrote ImpEx.

            Blog | Me

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks Jerry! I've posted over there to see if there are any takers. I'm surprised these forums aren't swarming with experienced contractors looking for work.

              So, it seems that the right person could get this all to work. Now my only outstanding question is in regards to resource usage. Is there any way for me to determine what would happen if I moved everything over? It sure would be a sour ending to go to the trouble of migrating only to find that my hosting needs triple.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Vantive View Post
                Fantastic question Deriel, sorry I didn't post that!

                Max concurrent users ever was 483 (that is based on a 15 minute timeout). Generally my forum has a daily peak of 400 during the day (half guests, half registered users) and a daytime average of about 300 users, and a minimum in the wee hours of the night of about 40 users.

                I'd say the forum does about 5 million pageviews a month on average, but some months it may go as high as 7 million.

                I think your VPS could not be enough, then, looking by your numbers

                Comment

                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X