Updating MySQL- just how tough is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating MySQL- just how tough is it?

Hi, I'm seriously considering leasing a license for VB, but the only stumbling block is that on my site, the version of MySQL is 5.0, and not MySQL 5.0.19, which is needed. I'm not savvy at all with MySQL, and was wondering whether the procedure of updating it is hard? and if it is, is there like some easier way to do it?

Thanks

Actually, the minimum required version at this time is MySQL 4.0.16. You should be able to install vBulletin on your current version of MySQL without problems.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      Actually, the minimum required version at this time is MySQL 4.0.16. You should be able to install vBulletin on your current version of MySQL without problems.
      Oh? Well that's good to hear, I ran the test script from the 'before you buy' thread, and it said 'fail' to MySQL, and failed all of the permission requirements too, will that matter?

Thanks for the fast reply.

Comment

The vital missing piece of information here is are you hosting your website on a service? Or do you have your own dedicated web server that you control?

If you are hosting, then you cannot upgrade MySQL as the server has 1 copy and all of the clients are using it. That would be up to the webhost to upgrade MySQL. That is actually very bad that they are stuck on MySQL 5.0 as there are huge bugs.

Anyway, your second questions is why all MySQL permissions fail. Did you login to your web control panel and create a MySQL database? and give that information to the test script?

Comment

Originally posted by Daisuke Niwa
          Are you sure that the database information you entered prior to executing the test script (servername - if different than "localhost", database name, user and password) were all accurate, and that your database has full permissions set to it?
          I just tried changing the name, and I replaced with the MySQL server IP, now I get this message:

"Database Connection Error: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client"

Sorry if I come across as having a lack of knowledge regarding this subject, MySQL is a real weak spot for me

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
            The vital missing piece of information here is are you hosting your website on a service? Or do you have your own dedicated web server that you control?

If you are hosting, then you cannot upgrade MySQL as the server has 1 copy and all of the clients are using it. That would be up to the webhost to upgrade MySQL. That is actually very bad that they are stuck on MySQL 5.0 as there are huge bugs.

Anyway, your second questions is why all MySQL permissions fail. Did you login to your web control panel and create a MySQL database? and give that information to the test script?
            I am renting webspace, and I've been looking around in the CP, but cannot find the permission section/ how to modify permissions

Comment

There are instructions for creating a database with cPanel, Plesk and Ensim as well as manually in the documentation, though the cPanel ones are a little out of date, they should still be usable.

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/create_database

Your hosting provider probably has instructions in their own help center as well.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X