Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wowbb --> vB ?s

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • wowbb --> vB ?s

    Hello all. I am in the process of purchasing vB, and would like to convert our forum over from wowBB.

    We have a rather large forum (over 100K members), with all kinds of posts, images, etc. that I do not want to lose.

    Before we buy vB, is this conversion going to be possible? Is there a "converter" avaiable?

    Thanks for any help or advice.

    p.s. I am hoping to get this project finished by the 1st of the year, and I am new to working with any type of forum software, but have been using forums (especially ones that use vB) for several years.

    -Muad

  • #2
    Yes, there is a wowBB importer:

    wowBB
    Tier = 2
    Source version support in ImpEx = 1.63
    • Import Usergroup
    • Import User
    • Import Forum
    • Import Thread
    • Import Post
    • Import Poll
    • Import Private message
    • Import Moderators
    • Import Attachment
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

    Steve Machol Photography


    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for the help Steve.

      Is this importer built-in to the vB software or do you have link to this importer?

      Comment


      • #4
        Its is available for download after you buy the software. It integrates into the vBulletin Control Panel.

        See the documentation for more information. http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex
        Translations provided by Google.

        Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

        Comment


        • #5
          Awesome. Thanks Wayne and Steve! We are very excited about switching to vB!!

          -Muad

          Comment


          • #6
            Is this still a valid option? I might be interested in converting my forum, which is UltraBB, a wowobb offshoult, to VB

            My forum has over 200,000 posts and almost 2000 members.

            I would love some feedback.

            Comment


            • #7
              The WowBB importer is still available however it still only supports up to version 1.63. If UltraBB has the same database structure then you could use this however if not, you will likely need to do some custom coding to make it work
              Vote for:

              - *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
              -
              *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
              - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
              - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
              - "Quick Route" Interface...
              - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
                The WowBB importer is still available however it still only supports up to version 1.63. If UltraBB has the same database structure then you could use this however if not, you will likely need to do some custom coding to make it work
                Thank you Trevor. Is there someone I can speak to about this. Sorry for the questions. Just trying to get a handle on all of my options and if this is something we want to do.

                We really appreciate the information. Thanks again.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Just wanted to follow up on this. We are probably going to start the process of switching over soon. Is there someone I can speak with or a website you can direct me to. Thank you again.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    We don't provide an import service I'm afraid. The only information I can give is what's in the manual as linked previously. The following can be imported from that version of wowBB:

                    • Import Usergroup
                    • Import User
                    • Import Forum
                    • Import Thread
                    • Import Post
                    • Import Poll
                    • Import Private message
                    • Import Moderators
                    • Import Attachment
                    Vote for:

                    - *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                    -
                    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                    - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
                    - "Quick Route" Interface...
                    - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TVDinner View Post
                      Just wanted to follow up on this. We are probably going to start the process of switching over soon. Is there someone I can speak with or a website you can direct me to. Thank you again.
                      Trevor is vBulletin official support staff or you can email them at [email protected].

                      I remember when WoWBB was released. I almost bought a copy of WoWBB, but decided on vBulletin instead, due to, quick support response time.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks again Trevor (and fufu)
                        So if I understand correctly my users, usergroups, forums, threads, posts, private messages and attachments will transfer over, assuming the newer ultrabb is still based on the older wowbb 1.63. That is great to hear and a huge head start.

                        You mentioned above that it might take some "custom coding". Is there anyone available who can help with these types of conversions. Even if paid services for the assistance? We are willing to pay if needed.

                        I look forward to learning more. Thanks again.

                        Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
                        We don't provide an import service I'm afraid. The only information I can give is what's in the manual as linked previously. The following can be imported from that version of wowBB:


                        • Import Usergroup
                        • Import User
                        • Import Forum
                        • Import Thread
                        • Import Post
                        • Import Poll
                        • Import Private message
                        • Import Moderators
                        • Import Attachment

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by TVDinner View Post
                          Thanks again Trevor (and fufu)
                          So if I understand correctly my users, usergroups, forums, threads, posts, private messages and attachments will transfer over, assuming the newer ultrabb is still based on the older wowbb 1.63. That is great to hear and a huge head start.

                          You mentioned above that it might take some "custom coding". Is there anyone available who can help with these types of conversions. Even if paid services for the assistance? We are willing to pay if needed.

                          I look forward to learning more. Thanks again.
                          There might be a freelancer on 'vBulletin.org' who can help you out, if vBulletin cannot provide you with the service you require.

                          *Note: Do not expect a quick response time from freelancers.*

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            TvDinner, have you progressed with this please ?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              No update to report at this time. I have chosen to stay with UltraBB (the main wowbb offshoot) because of a few reasons.
                              1) mainly because of one lead coder/developer who is rapidly creating a new and vastly upgraded version of the software. Also mods are available much much faster now.
                              2) I have over 10,000 images is my custom gallery, all top ranked in search engine results, that would not survive the transfer, so not changing programs.

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X