X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pricing in Recession - It Should Go Down

Hello:

Since we are facing a Global Economic Crisis, request vBulletin's leased prices be marked down at least until we get out of the recession.

What do you folks think ?

Thanks.

I vote no for a request. The product is already very cheap. Besides, it is important vbulletin collects money so development in the product continues.
    Europanet.dk

Comment

Originally posted by nascentnet View Post
      Hello:

Since we are facing a Global Economic Crisis, request vBulletin's leased prices be marked down at least until we get out of the recession.

What do you folks think ?

Thanks.
      I'm sorry but I disagree.

Using an economic crisis as an excuse to get the price of a luxury item (anything not essential to staying live) brought down and made cheaper is just silly. Especially since the people who's pay packets are funded by those prices will most likely at the same time be needing pay rises to cope with the crisis themselves.
      http://data.collectiveirc.net/status/user/Jobe.png

Comment

Edit: your first post is this?

I also disagree.
        vB is priced fair. Support is excellent.

Nobody needs to use vBulletin.

I don't mean to go political, but not sure why the media finally recognizes that we are in a recession now.
        Our economy [US] has been in the decline for some time. My wife just joined the unemployment role as of this Monday.

Lowering the price of vB is not even part of the global economy.
        ...steven
        www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
        bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
        "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

I agree with everyone who has replied so far. Lowering prices too much isn't going to help the global economy at all. vB is still pretty cheap compared to other types of software packages that do less but sell for well over $300.
          No...No...Meester vBulletin, he no work right.

Comment

Hmm,

To the CEO, Rolls Royce Motors, the world is in recession,can I please have a new Silver Shadow delivered ?

Oh by the way I only want to pay 1/3rd your normal price, I am sure you will agree this is fair.

Comment

If there is an economic crisis, it "may" mean vB sales will fall. However, it doesn't mean vB will or has to lower their prices.

I'm sure the economic crisis has played a role on the internet as well, but I don't see many people slashing prices just yet.

Personally, I do find vB a bit expensive now. The reason is because I own multiple licenses and the renewal fee is a lot higher.

I think for single license owners, it's a fair price. However, for multiple license owners, it's a quite a lot. There should be some small discount for them based off the number of licenses.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFroot_ View Post
                There should be some small discount for them based off the number of licenses.
                That seems pretty fair to me. Loyal vB customers should be rewarded for purchasing multiple licenses.
                No...No...Meester vBulletin, he no work right.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFroot_ View Post

I think for single license owners, it's a fair price. However, for multiple license owners, it's a quite a lot. There should be some small discount for them based off the number of licenses.
                  I totally agree. The one thing stopping me from purchasing multiple vB licenses is the yearly renewal fee to receive updates.
                  Because the cost to renew multiple licenses each would theoretically be so high, I am either a) completely passing up opportunities to start new communities or b) starting them out on a free forum script such as MyBB to ensure they are going to actually work out, and then considering switching them to vB. But I would much rather start with vB from the get-go and not have to worry about a ton of renewal fees.

IMO, this is a reasonable suggestion. It's not one of those unreasonable requests that the teens (and some adults, too) always come on and ask for: "PLEASE make vBulletin free" or "please reduce the cost, I only have $50". Oh, and "We are in a global economic crisis, so please lower the price".
                  Regards,
                  Nick

Comment

As far as I know, you do get discounts if you purchase more than one license at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeSmoke View Post
                      As far as I know, you do get discounts if you purchase more than one license at a time.
                      That's not what we're talking about. We're talking about discounts on the yearly renewal fee for updates on owned licenses.
                      Regards,
                      Nick

Comment

Vbulletin license price is neiter cheap nor expensive, but if we are paying for owned license yearly renewal fee to receive updates should be FREE not $40-60.- and because of this many people does not paying for licenses and using null version of Vbulletin.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_rebel View Post
                          Vbulletin license price is neiter cheap nor expensive, but if we are paying for owned license yearly renewal fee to receive updates should be FREE not $40-60.- and because of this many people does not paying for licenses and using null version of Vbulletin.
                          Another one of those unreasonable suggestions that I mentioned in Post #9.

No, the yearly fee for updates should not be free. And the fact that they are not free is not the reason that so many people use pirated versions of vBulletin. People who are illegally running vBulletin are doing so because they are too selfish, greedy, and cheap to pay like everybody else does.
                          Regards,
                          Nick

Comment

I don't see the point in this thread. Also, if the recession does get worse and people decide to stop spending money because of it much more. I think vBulletin would be the first (maybe) to consider themselves altering their price structure to try and increase their sales, maybe on a temp bases. or by offering a deal for "Jan" 2009 etc.

They don't need threads like this trying to plug them to do it. It will happen itself if the recession gets worse in 2009. I don't think the recession has even hit us yet proper. Right now the government is doing everything to try and boost the economy by lowing VAT along with other thing. I think the big answer will come in 2009 after the shops get their Christmas sales in for the year.

Things that are not helping right now, is things like many banks not passing on the new interest rates to people with mortgages (thats scandalous) after the governments have been bailing the banks out.

Also the price of oil barrels is now $25 a barrel, compared to $100 a barrel six months ago. yet the fuel companies like British Gas are refusing to now drop the prices back down again. Again totally scandalous if you ask me. And so typical of the greedy fat cats who have helped cause this recession.

Anyway, back on subject. 2009 will be a big year for vB depending how this recession goes. It could get much yet then. But it won't only effect vB of course. IPB will be in the same boat, as well as all other paid forum software.

Look whats happening right now in the retail high street shops, their is a big price war fight on to get the sales. Which is why I'm only buying my Chrismas presents next week (cheaper)
                            Last edited by MRGTB; Sat 6 Dec '08, 5:42pm.

Comment

How about lowering the cost for hobbyist users and providing them with a certain level of support. Then add a tier for "enterprise services" and charge much more for that, but offer a much higher level of support and do things like give the enterprise users a product roadmap already and access to professional customization services provided (at a price) by the team at Vbulletin. It is almost impossible for a real business to rely on the kinds of services found at vbulletin.org. Finally, offer hosted solutions at several tiers from shared to full dedicated clusters.

Seems to me that Vbulletin is leaving a lot of money on the table. I've got a check made out for services I can't buy.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X