Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money Conversion Unfair?

Hi,

I currently have a vBulletin license, but it's just about time that I have to renew it.

I was looking into the prices again, and found that you charge £55.00 for each license in GBP, but in USD you charge $100 each.

£55.00 GBP is equal to $84.72 USD. That means that you're charging $15.28 more if we buy in USD.

I understand that though this isn't a lot of money, times are hard right now for everyone, and spending that much more seems a bit unfair.

I also understand that you probably have to pay conversion rates, but fifteen bucks more? The US dollar is gaining strength (or maybe the pound is loosing?), and I think you should really update your prices in order to make things fair.

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but it just seems unfair.

First, you have the leased version and yes, it is more costly.

I don't know where you are located, obviously, but assuming you aren't using USD or GBP as your currency, you can select the currency which is more favorable towards your exchange rates.
    Toddler from Hell

Comment

Actually, I'm from the US... so I do use USD. What I'm saying is is that if you convert the GBP to USD, it's only around 88 bucks. So, why are they charging 100 USD for a license?

Comment

Originally posted by itsIAN View Post
        Actually, I'm from the US... so I do use USD. What I'm saying is is that if you convert the GBP to USD, it's only around 88 bucks. So, why are they charging 100 USD for a license?
        I know it might be hard at times to buy these products and upgrades but you cannot blame Jelsoft. Blame the world economy and the ever changing currency rates. There were times when GBP was more valued and vice versa, so no 1 company can decide on what to do with their appropriate pricing. I believe a software such as vbulletin is valued more than its price though I would hate it if they increase the rates.

If the economy and the world currency rates were more stable then maybe that 12 dollar gap wouldn't be an issue today.

Comment

You can't blame Vbulletin or Jelsoft in the matter. I mean conversion rates and so on are all determined by how much the dollar is worth at the time.

Comment

The conversion rates in the members area are not updated every day. I am not sure what schedule they use to update the prices in the members are but when you are billed for the software, I think you are billed the current exchange rate.
            www.Copiertalk.com - Everything Copier , Printer, Fax

Comment

I pay in Indian rupees and it's always a big amount for me. I can have thousands of meals in that price. I am not complaining because I have always been happy with the software and the support.
              www.christianforumsite.com
              sigpic

Comment

It isn't a conversion. They are set prices in those currencies.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

i am a happy man, i just renewed my owned license for 22 pounds 2 days ago. And the exchange rate is very much to my favour cos i only paid $50SGD. if i pay by usd, which is $60usd, it will cost me $90+sgd!

Comment

Originally posted by copiertalk View Post
                    The conversion rates in the members area are not updated every day. I am not sure what schedule they use to update the prices in the members are but when you are billed for the software, I think you are billed the current exchange rate.
                    That's what I was thinking. Thank you.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                    It isn't a conversion. They are set prices in those currencies.
                    But according to this, that isn't the case? So, just a question, can I pay in GBP even though I'm located in the US? It'd be dumb for me to pay in USD, wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by itsIAN View Post
                      can I pay in GBP even though I'm located in the US?
                      Why not? There are no restrictions.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

If you buy in GBP, you probably have to probably have to pay VAT (tax) so the total will end up being more than if you just paid in USD.

Excluding VAT, it used to be cheaper to buy a license in USD so its simply swinging the other way now which is alright I guess. It makes sense to have a fixed rates in each currency - unfortunately or fortunately as the case may be, the exchange rate changes daily. Its actually a problem a lot of international companies have to deal with.
                        Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Just because one pound=roughly two dollars, doesnt mean that things cost twice as much. For example, something that in america costs $10 in england may cost 7 or 8 pounds. So, as people in england make almost the same number of pounds as someone in america would make in dollars, despite the large international value difference, this may account for this.

Comment

To be fair it was more favourable to pay in dollars a while back iirc. Anyway you could just select GBP and pay via PayPal.
                            - TomJames

Comment

You know, I never thought about this, but I'm looking at getting another license or two now. I'm going to have to see which way it'd be cheaper to pay...
                              -David

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X