IPB 3 or should I move to VB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tauhid View Post
    one more thing I realized, my topic in this vb forum has over 3 pages whereas the ipb forum has 1 page with just a few comments, seems to me they could care less if I converted....then again they must be busy with the upgrade to 3.0, my sale for the ipb licenses are still up for sale, noone seems interested either...

is it me or is it that all vb forums are really user-friendly thats why everyone posts more often in the vb forums??
    VB is VERY community based, many interaction involved, I mean binteraction between clints/members, this leads to bring in more moudules and supports of course. IPB owned's module site named resources.ipb, is as poor as it is , it is a big pity for them

In reality, we don't really need edgy technology that much, but we need "flexibility", "supports" and "functionality" very much

Comment

one more thing I realized, my topic in this vb forum has over 3 pages whereas the ipb forum has 1 page with just a few comments, seems to me they could care less if I converted....then again they must be busy with the upgrade to 3.0, my sale for the ipb licenses are still up for sale, noone seems interested either...

is it me or is it that all vb forums are really user-friendly thats why everyone posts more often in the vb forums??
      What? Seriously, board software has almost nothing to do with post counts or activity. Look at Neowin. A very popular and successful site. It used to run vBulletin, but then they switched to IPB, and their community took off. Was it because they switched to IPB? No, it was because they had content, content, content. If your thread is more popular here, it's because a) there are more members reading your thread or b) your subject on the vB board is of more interest to the members here than to the members of the IPB board.
      Forums

Comment

Originally posted by ikillbill View Post
        VB is VERY community based, many interaction involved, I mean binteraction between clints/members, this leads to bring in more moudules and supports of course. IPB owned's module site named resources.ipb, is as poor as it is , it is a big pity for them

In reality, we don't really need edgy technology that much, but we need "flexibility", "supports" and "functionality" very much
        It's very community based because it added vB Gallery, vB Blog and vB Project Tools after IPB added them first. There is nothing wrong with IPB's modules. I have them and they work fine. They are neither better nor worse than vBulletin's.

Also, IPB Resources is similar to vBulletin.org. It is not a "module site." It's a place that is run by IPS to find skins, modifications and other things.
        Forums

Comment

Originally posted by 3dsoft View Post
          IPB 3.0's new reputation system is nonesense. You can't give a reason when giving a reputation to someone. People just click the plus or minus button and there you go. You might end up getting bad reputation... not knowing from who and for what. That is real fun, you can easyly outlaw someone who you don't like.
          I could be wrong, but I do believe that it's possible to require a reason, it's just turned off by default. However, I do know IPS is already discussing improving the feature, no matter what state it's presently in, in 3.1, as 3.0 is already feature locked.

Of course, the feature can be disabled completely, as I'd imagine quite a many would want to do. I've never found much use for a reputation system. It seems redundant with a warning system already in place.
          Forums

Comment

I pretty much agree, The rep system gets over-looked really. And because of that, becomes a pretty useless feature.

Comment

I think that IPB 3 has so many more to offer.
              Don't forget it's only in alpha stage right now, and as said in their company blog, integration is going to be much easier, and it also includes a hooking system, like VB or better.
              My suggestion is that you to wait for a final release of IPB 3 and see for yourself what is better.

And in my opinion it's totally useless to ask questions like this here, cause it's obvious that most of the people here will tell you to go for VB, and most of them didn't even had an experience with new versions of IPB.
              Last edited by Kfir2; Thu 20 Nov '08, 5:34am.

Comment

Originally posted by Kfir2 View Post
                it's totally useless to ask questions like this here, cause it's obvious that most of the people here will tell you to go for VB, and most of them didn't even had an experience with new versions of IPB.
                Exactly. You may find one or two unbiased opinions around here. Mine are one of those. Both boards are filled with "Fan Boys" that simply don't care what the developers do, they can do no wrong & their forum software is the best to them.

I don't play that game. I look at the facts.

Comment

just bought my owned license, let the import begin!

Comment

congratulations mate
                    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it!' -Team Skunkworkssigpic
                    "I was a Hidden Treasure and loved to be known. Therefore I created the Creation that I might be known"

Comment

just bought my owned license, let the import begin!
                      Welcome to the vB family. If you need any help just drop me a line.

Comment

thanks guys, be prepared to get hundreds of annoying posts to report bugs or ask what this and that does...lol.

I just imported the whole database, trying to fix things as we speak.

Comment

If IPB 2.x does not use hooks, how are hacks added? The old way like we had to with VB 2?

Comment

Glad to hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeSmoke View Post
                              Glad to hear it.
                              hehe, now the work of integrating the forum with the gallery has started, man this is sooooo painful. did not go to work today for this.

Comment

Sent ya a PM man.

and haha i know how that is dude. i called out the next day after i purchased vB just to get everything set up

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X