No announcement yet.

IPB 3 or should I move to VB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did I read on IPB, if you buy IPB now, to gain access to there modding site you have to pay a bit extra on-top of buying the forum software.

I seem to think I read a thread over there a few days ago, were a person complained after just buying IPB, that he couldn't gain access to their modding site, and was told that was an extra free.

Just remembered, the fee was to gain access to IPS Beyond, which is like there version of vB.org I would imagine

Comment

I have been able to take a glance at ipb3. I like the new look. It seems to have a portal feature. Everything else seems to be hidden in the code. I would have expected a social groups feature and other social networking improvements, but it looks like there is nothing new on that subject.

Is it true, that you need to pay for ipb' s modding site? I thought everyone had access to ipb' s resource page and that there were some decent free mods (eg shoutbox, points).

I think one big problem for ipb is that their software is mainly used by companies. There are too little enthusiasts who are willing to share their work without demanding cash. If ipb' s pricing stays above vb' s I don' t see this change. Both are excellent products and if you fail to decide by feature set, you will decide by pricing and by community (vb.org).

Comment

The portal is not a new feature, its been there in IPB2. You just needed to activate it to use it in the admin cp.

Comment

Move to vB mate. It's better than what IPB has to offer.
          Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
          Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

Originally posted by jigger View Post
            When did ips introduce the social networking features? The announcement for version 2.2 was back in September 2006. If you know that, it is quite disappointing what has been coded for vb.

If a site owner does not need those social networking features or does not want those, he might be completely satisfied. But my focus is going more and more towards social networking. I think that the forum does not need new features. Nearly every forum script has all you need.

I really don' t understand why some people say ipb is ugly or difficult to use. I have never had any problems to use ipb boards. Default ipb looks much better and more modern than default vb. Everything is where it is supposed to be.

Nonetheless I don' t see any advantage for me to convert to IPB right now. But if I had an ipb licence I would at least wait for the first downloadable beta version. Ipb and vb both have their pros and cons. Both have their fan base. I always try to stay objective and only try to judge by my own requirements.
            What do you mean everything is where it is supposed to be :S?

Comment

well, IPB, acting like they are open to all people, but actually close the door little by little. vb.org is secnod to none, it is the big treasure VBB holds

Comment

Originally posted by ikillbill View Post
                vB.org is second to none, it is the big treasure vB holds
                No one can argue against that point.

Comment

one more thing I realized, my topic in this vb forum has over 3 pages whereas the ipb forum has 1 page with just a few comments, seems to me they could care less if I converted....then again they must be busy with the upgrade to 3.0, my sale for the ipb licenses are still up for sale, noone seems interested either...

is it me or is it that all vb forums are really user-friendly thats why everyone posts more often in the vb forums??

Comment

Originally posted by Tauhid View Post
                    one more thing I realized, my topic in this vb forum has over 3 pages whereas the ipb forum has 1 page with just a few comments, seems to me they could care less if I converted....then again they must be busy with the upgrade to 3.0, my sale for the ipb licenses are still up for sale, noone seems interested either...

is it me or is it that all vb forums are really user-friendly thats why everyone posts more often in the vb forums??

It is just you. The problem with IP.Board's main forum is the skin is awful!
                    I only post there once in a while compared to the posts I have here at vBulletin.com. Currently I use IP.Board for my community & wouldn't think about switching back until at the very least we have updated news & information on vB 4.0. I do not believe that the forum software used really makes a difference for the average poster.

Look at all the popular PHPBB boards out there. Or the SMF ones.

As for the look of the software.
                    Skins are only skin deep. They can be changed if you find it to your dislike. But IP.Board really hasn't learned their lesson on that front.

I tend to like vBulletin's skin more than I do the IPB skin. But overall the IP.Board has better quality premium/ custom skins available...plus it is cheaper to skin IP.Board. I could get IP.Board highly customized for $600. The same design with a vBulletin designer would cost over $1,000.

Comment

vBulletin is the best imho. I have enjoyed the software and the support at the forums.
                      www.christianforumsite.com
                      sigpic

Comment

Bad reputation system in IPB 3.0

IPB 3.0's new reputation system is nonesense. You can't give a reason when giving a reputation to someone. People just click the plus or minus button and there you go. You might end up getting bad reputation... not knowing from who and for what. That is real fun, you can easyly outlaw someone who you don't like.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dsoft View Post
                          IPB 3.0's new reputation system is nonesense. You can't give a reason when giving a reputation to someone. People just click the plus or minus button and there you go. You might end up getting bad reputation... not knowing from who and for what. That is real fun, you can easyly outlaw someone who you don't like.

That isn't so much a reputation system as it is to vote for posts/threads. It was intended on being like Digg or other similar systems.

Comment

Well, try to tell them that it is not a reputation system....they will probably "kill" you.

Comment

Well, try to tell them that it is not a reputation system....they will probably "kill" you.
                              lol!

Comment

Bring it here

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X