Databases For Forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Databases For Forums

I have a question. I've been bouncing back and forth on wether to buy vB or IP.Board. I've decided vB runs the cheaper leased program and IP.Board is in the middle of leased and owned, but they do not offer bulk price discounts as you do so if I wanted to buy 7 forums from them, I would be paying about double, almost tripple what I'd pay for your leased forum licenses...

The question is: Can I run more than one forum on one database? If so, how many? And how much space do I need to host from 5-7 vB forums on one host? (I need to know incase my hosting provider gives me too little). I'm asking about diskspace and brandwith monthly space.

Thanks,
    Tree

It would be much much cheaper to get owned licenses than leased licenses. Especially if you are getting 7 of them.

Comment

I don't even know if it's possible to run more than one forum on one database. But if they are separate forums, then you will need separate licenses.

The Leased License is NOT cheaper in the long run. If you are planning on running your forum for more than three years, the owned license is cheaper. See my post here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1631402

And yes, there are discounts when you purchase more than three licenses. Note that all three of the licenses must be of the same type (leased or owned).
      See this page for bulk prices: http://www.vbulletin.com/order/
      Regards,
      Nick

Comment

The answer to your question depends on your definition of database. If by database you mean one single MySQL database, the answer is yes - no problem, using a unique table prefix for each forum. There is no real limitation on the amount of forums you can run in this way, apart from the database size limitations set in place by your host.

However if by database, you mean one set of users and settings, with different topics for each forum, it becomes a little more difficult. You will most likely require custom coding to achieve what you want, you can ask about this at vbulletin.org

As to how much space you will need for a forum, this depends on how many users the forum has, whether you allow attachments, how active the members are etc. It can vary from ~20 megabytes through to many gigabytes (per forum), and will continue to grow. If you let us know of your expected forum size, or your host's limitations, we can probably better assist.

Comment

That sounds much better, but I'm going to have to do the math out correctly to figure out my situation. I found a really cheap host which has everything I need to have as many forums as possible. It's siteground.

Thanks for the help. And, if anyone would like to add to that, please do!

Comment

Originally posted by Dilly View Post
            The answer to your question depends on your definition of database. If by database you mean one single MySQL database, the answer is yes - no problem, using a unique table prefix for each forum. There is no real limitation on the amount of forums you can run in this way, apart from the database size limitations set in place by your host.

However if by database, you mean one set of users and settings, with different topics for each forum, it becomes a little more difficult. You will most likely require custom coding to achieve what you want, you can ask about this at vbulletin.org

As to how much space you will need for a forum, this depends on how many users the forum has, whether you allow attachments, how active the members are etc. It can vary from ~20 megabytes through to many gigabytes (per forum), and will continue to grow. If you let us know of your expected forum size, or your host's limitations, we can probably better assist.

I'm using siteground which will allow me the following:

Unlimited MySQL Databases
            750GB of Webspace
            7500GB of Monthly Brandwith

Also, I hope to get a large amount of members the way I think I will advertize my boards.

Also, I think I can get the money to run 5-7 boards on owned licenses.

Comment

Sounds like overselling, but based on those specifications you will be fine to run that many boards. Staying under the host's other limits (memory, queries per hour etc.) might pose more of a problem, but i'm not familiar with siteground so I can't say for sure.

Comment

I've heard that they oversell like crazy, and that you start running into errors after about 7GB in your site (due to the overselling).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X