Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• might be a silly question - help appreciated

Hi guys,

am looking to start a forums community website, and was been advised to take vbulletin, told by friends that its the best in the market....

my question is... I dont have any PHP coding knowledge or experience, so how can I cope up in the future, if I need to make I mean add or remove any changes on the site....

would I get a help from vbulletin staff in regard or else have I to pay for that on the top of the pricing....

thank you

I'd say most people running vb don't have php knowledge. You'll get help, on a voluntary basis, at catering to all levels here and at vbulletin.org.

Comment

This question is pretty much the same as saying "I want to install and run Limewire, but I don't have any experience with programming in Java."

You will need:

1. A web host that supports PHP and MySQL (Such as A Small Orange)
      2. An FTP client (Such as Filezilla)
      3. A domain name

All you need to be able to do is:

1. Create a MySQL database via the control panel provided by your web host
      2. Modify a simple vBulletin configuration file (Instructions provided)
      3. Upload the files in the "Upload" directory, via FTP to your web host
      4. Follow the installation process (Instructions provided)

It's pretty simple.

- Rich

Comment

If you provide these:

You will need:

3. A domain name
        4. Your MSN or AIM address.

I can install your forum for you and explain how to do certain things for vBulletin in a step-by-step process to help you learn the ropes of vBulletin, if you are interested of course.

Comment

If you provide these:

Quote:
          You will need:

3. A domain name
          4. Your MSN or AIM address.

I can install your forum for you and explain how to do certain things for vBulletin in a step-by-step process to help you learn the ropes of vBulletin, if you are interested of course.
          My offers there aswell. (Offer of help)
          Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

Plus, the vB documentation is absolutely excellent, reading the manual answered almost every question I could think of

Comment

And about making changes:

Vbulletin has a sister site vbulletin.org which has a lot of modifications that are freely available and made by other vb owners. The vbulletin software has a modification system which makes you can install a modification just by uploading some files (some more extensive mods might require a modification to the code, but then it's just a matter of copy paste).

If it's just template changes (adding something to the menu, adding a banner, changing how the forum looks, ...) you can do it easily via the template system. This doesn't require php knowledge, but you will need some basic html knowledge.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X