Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several questions before I buy

Hey there,

I am getting ready to purchase a domain name and possibly vBulletin. The focus of my site is to create a web community to discuss gaming, and be a center for information directly from other users.

That being said, I have a few questions regarding vBulletin and its functionality.

On my blog (cccombobreaker.com), I have a forum section. I use SMF (Simple Machine) and I love a lot of its functionality. What I love most about it is how you can use the Package uploader to easily install mods. Does vBulletin use a similar system? Or do I have to use FTP to upload plugins into a directory and activate them much like WordPress?

How easy is it to impliment some of these features:
    Chat
    Arcade
    Gallery
    More smilies
    Themes

Do themes generally cause problems with add-ons that were designed to use the default theme? With SMF, a lot of my mods lost functionality because I changed themes.

Embedded YouTube videos. I am a member of a forum (not sure if I am allowed to say which) where you can just link to a YouTube video and it automatically places the video as an embedded object into the post. It's a very neat feature, and I wonder how easy it is to do.

I think that does it for some of my pre-purchase questions. If I think of anything else, I will be sure to edit my post and add them Thanks guys.
    Last edited by itsbobtista; Sun 9 Nov '08, 7:59pm.

Greetings,

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/ vB documentation.

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php Live Demo

Everything on your list is easy to achieve,mods are easy,some will require a folder or some files to be FTP'd to your server and then a plugin file uploaded in the ACP,others are just a single file upload to ACP.

Themes /styles are very simple to add via the ACP and should not break mods.

Comment

Is there a way to see how many unique visitors have hit my page, and how many pageviews, etc?

I am thinking about getting the blogging software as well and creating a daily game comic to help attract visitors. If there is a solution to see how many visitors I get, can I get a breakdown on what these visitors looked at and such?

One more thing... This game in question has guilds in the game. If I wanted to create a guild section on the forum, could different guild leaders apply for a place in the guild section, and I can make them sort of the moderator for the guild board and if members want to apply to the guild board, could that moderator accept those member applications into that area of the board? As an admin, I wouldn't be able to know which guild their in, or know if they are really in that guild, so I figured maybe a moderator for those boards could accept/delete users from just that section, and those sections only become visible from the main board when they are accepted into those guilds.

That last part may be kind of confusing... Let me try putting it in a real life instance.

Bob plays EverQuest. Bob owns "The Guilded Few" on the Terris Thule server. Bob goes to domain.com (my forum), and tells the admin (me) that he owns this guild. I create that guild board under the Guilds area. That board is hidden to all members unless they are in a specific membergroup.

That membergroup will be called "The Guilded Few".

John is a member in "The Guilded Few". He comes to domain.com. He wants access to the "The Guild Few" guild board. Bob puts John in that membergroup or grants access to John's username to let him see that board and begin posting.

Is this possible?

Comment

Your first question would probalbly be through you hosting plan and their software. That would be the best place to track traffic.

Vbulletin has alot of goup features and permissons. I would think with a creative mind you would not have a problem to implement what you desire [ again with a creative mind ] .
        www.Copiertalk.com - Everything Copier , Printer, Fax

Comment

Originally posted by copiertalk View Post
          Your first question would probalbly be through you hosting plan and their software. That would be the best place to track traffic.

Vbulletin has alot of goup features and permissons. I would think with a creative mind you would not have a problem to implement what you desire [ again with a creative mind ] .
          lol Have you ever heard of it being used in such a way? I guess I'll just have to figure it out when I get it It won't make or break the deal of me getting this, it would just be a nice thing to setup. Thanks for the answer!

Comment

Alright, now let me ask this... I am interested in the vBulletin Blog software, but it looks like there were some complaints being made in the Blog section of this forum.

I need just a few questions answered.

I plan on doing a daily comic/satirical entry. I also would not mind if other users wanted to create their own blogs with my site, as it creates content. Should I have any problem with just having a daily blog that people can check out every day? What about RSS feeds? Is there an RSS feed created for every user? From what I can tell, you can't see if there is a new blog entry unless you actually click on Blogs and click Recent Entries and check, if this is definitely the case, I could just create a thread for updates to the blog so that forum users will know to check it out.

What are some of your overall opinions of the vBulletin Blog software? Anything you absolutely hate?

Comment

Another question...

If I use a theme (or style), will that mess up if I also have a blog? Like.. do the themes carry over to the blog part of vBulletin?

Comment

Originally posted by itsbobtista View Post

How easy is it to impliment some of these features:
                Chat
                Arcade
                Gallery
                More smilies
                Themes

Do themes generally cause problems with add-ons that were designed to use the default theme? With SMF, a lot of my mods lost functionality because I changed themes.
                those mods would take minutes to install, if you were to change a style you would have to put the links on the new style eg: arcade, gallery etc.
                ive use smf and vbulletins is a lot faster to add a mods/add on.
                maybe vbulletin is a lot more strait forward for me to understand maybe.
                if you were to change a style you will lose NO functionality.
                as i said just add the links to nav bar which is a minute job.

Another question...

If I use a theme (or style), will that mess up if I also have a blog? Like.. do the themes carry over to the blog part of vBulletin?
                you talking about vbulletin blog? if so ofcourse not, changing styles will mess nothing up.

From what I can tell, you can't see if there is a new blog entry unless you actually click on Blogs and click Recent Entries and check,
                when you buy a vbulletin board that also gives you access to vbulletin.org where there you can get the addon that displays new blogs on your forums home page. any member that posts a new blog will be easily seen by you and your members.
                Last edited by jaycob; Wed 12 Nov '08, 1:19am.
                Teen Forums | Chloe Moretz | Teen Celebrity

Comment

Working...
                X