Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering Buying

I know you guys must hear this all too often, but here it goes:

I created a website, it has gotten big and grown out of the kiddie free forum software.

I currently run SMF. Our site is expanding by about 5000+ posts a month.

My current issues is that, we're not ready to move to a more powerful server, and it seems like everyone says that vBulletin can be a bit of a pig when it comes to server resources. Our site currently has to deal with sudden large masses of people coming on, sometimes up to 1000+ guests at a time, are there any features that let us scale down curtain features on the forum that are server intensive? Like searching, etc...

Also, I know someone who converted from SMF to vB, and they said that a lot of the formatting went screwy, with things like smilies and quotes. Is this a common issue? Should I expect to see the formatting of a lot posts to mess up? Or was this an issue on his part?

Thanks.

Personally on a forum that size, I would disable searching for guests, and require them to register/login before they can do any form of searching.

Also regarding the "screwy" formatting, I believe that was an issue on his part, since when I converted from SMF 1.1.4 (was the version at the time iirc) everything except passwords and permissions (you should check those after a convert anyway) converted over to vBulletin without any hitches.
    http://data.collectiveirc.net/status/user/Jobe.png

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X