Comments, tips on converting from SMF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments, tips on converting from SMF

If possible, I'd like to hear from those who have successfully converted their databases from Simple Machines Forums (SMF) to vBulletin.

My forum has been online since 2002. However, it crashed (probably due to something on my end) while I was trying to upgrade the phpBB software that I was running at the time. Since I had to start over anyhow, I decided to change softwares, and installed SMF, which I've been running for the about four years now.

I'm not entirely unhappy with SMF but I'd like to move to something that has better support and fewer quirks, as it seems that the larger my forum gets, the more trouble I have with SMF.

I'm thinking that vBulletin might be what I'm looking for, but I'd very much like to not have to start over, as far as membership and forum history goes.

I know that vBulletin has a conversion utility that is supposed to do that with SMF, only I'm running a minor upgrade above that which it lists, since I'm running SMF 1.1.6. I'm not thinking that will make much of a difference, since it was not a major upgrade by any means.

If you have converted from SMF to vBulletin, I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences, and perhaps a few tips.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138594

Comment

Thanks, if I were still running phpBB, I might get some insight from that thread but I went through seven pages and found only one person who migrated from SMF, and that wasn't very informative. If posting here was the wrong thing to do, I apologize; but I can't think of a more important pre-sales question than trying to find out if it's likely to work before I pay for it, rather than finding that out later. Plus, if the support here is no better than at SMF, perhaps I should stay with the free stuff.

Comment

I upgraded from SMF to vBulletin nearly 2 years ago now. The only issue I had, which was not really that big of an issue was passwords not being imported. The only reason it was NOT an issue much was because all my members had to undergo email verification during registration on my SMF board anyway so were all capable of using the reset password system in vBulletin.

Other then that the conversion was incredibly smooth, everything transferred over nicely. As with most conversions the only thing I had to check through was permissions.
        http://data.collectiveirc.net/status/user/Jobe.png

Comment

Originally posted by Jobe1986 View Post
          I upgraded from SMF to vBulletin nearly 2 years ago now. The only issue I had, which was not really that big of an issue was passwords not being imported. The only reason it was NOT an issue much was because all my members had to undergo email verification during registration on my SMF board anyway so were all capable of using the reset password system in vBulletin.
          Thanks Jobe1986, that's what I was looking for. I am prepared for the password problem, as I've already posted a couple of notices in my forum asking members to make sure that they still have access to the email address that we have for them. I'm sure there'lll still be some problems with that, but nothing insurmountable.

My greatest fear is losing years of forum posts, and an entire membership base.

Comment

Originally posted by kfander View Post
            My greatest fear is losing years of forum posts, and an entire membership base.
            Backup your forum fully,convert your backup database to vB.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
              Backup your forum fully,convert your backup database to vB.
              Personally, in a conversion scenario, I create 2 backups, one is an exported to HDD version that can be re-imported if required, the other to a new DB in MySQL as a "working" copy for use during the conversion. Sadly the "working copy" backup to a second DB isn't always available to some users as their hosting accounts dont allow them to have more then one DB so it can get tedious. But in that situation they still have the exported to HDD backup if they need to revert back again anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobe1986 View Post
                Personally, in a conversion scenario, I create 2 backups, one is an exported to HDD version that can be re-imported if required, the other to a new DB in MySQL as a "working" copy for use during the conversion. Sadly the "working copy" backup to a second DB isn't always available to some users as their hosting accounts dont allow them to have more then one DB so it can get tedious. But in that situation they still have the exported to HDD backup if they need to revert back again anyway.
                Jobe1986, again thanks. I'd like to make sure that I understand what you're saying though, this not being something that's within my comfort level. When you talk about backing up the database, you are referring to creating backups from within SMF or something that I would need to do from within my server access?

I am allowed to have as many databases as I want, but am not sure how I'd go about backing up the database. If I sound stupid, it's probably because I am.

Comment

Well there are a few ways to backup MySQL databases, some can be done from the forum software you use, others from something like phpMyAdmin on your host, or sometimes when the DB is that big, you have to do it from ssh access which some hosts don't allow.

There are better people for helping out with the details on how to do it then myself I am afraid.

Comment

Working...
                  X