Custom dropdown lists with VB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom dropdown lists with VB

I would like to know if it is possible to create custom fields on the user registration form for a VB forum. I would primarily want to create some dropdown lists. I would also want it to work that when the user selects something from the dropdown, then the next dropdown would load up data based on their selection. For example if dropdown one is Profession and the person chooses lawer, then the next dropdown would load up a bunch of subcategories of different types of lawyers etc...and they would choose from that list...and so on

You can create custom userfields in vBulletin. They can be checkboxes, radio buttons, text fields, text areas, multi-select option lists or single select option lists.

You cannot create linked option lists though. So you would not be able to show another list if someone picks lawyer over doctor.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I understand what you are saying. Tell me though, does any hack exist for this and/or would be it be theoretically possible for a programmer to get this done?

I thought of another semi-related question...Can I search members in VB by certain criteria...like for example I would search by the custom field called "profession", for all lawyers.

And another question...can I add registering users to groups based on their selection in the profeesion dropdown list?

Comment

I don't know of an addon that does this but it wouldn't be impossible. You can ask at www.vbulletin.org which is the addon community for vBulletin.

You can set custom profile fields so they are searchable.

There used to be an addon to automatically assign users to a group based on field values. I don't know if it is maintained anymore. You can check at www.vbulletin.org.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

forcing username

Another Question: When a user signs up can I force his user name to be his first name then middle initial/name and last name @ my domain name...Like [email protected]?

So there would actually be no field to fill out for user name.

And if this is possible, then will it also check for duplicates...like if there is 2 people with the name John w smith...and if there is, the user will be told to enter more than just his middle inital, like perhaps the whole middle name(e.g. William)?

Thanx.

Comment

Sorry, there is no function to do this. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X