X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Please post in the correct forum for support.

Leave a comment:

• vivamexico55
    replied
    This was a big problem for our forum so just make a "newly registered" user group that cannot send PMs to anyone, and after a few weeks you can change them to the "normal" usergroup. =)

Leave a comment:

• Webbstre
    replied
    I think I know what the original poster is trying to ask. In phpbb3 if you send a PM it can still be edited or deleted by the original sender until the recipient actually looks at it. That is the point when the "sent" message is actually transferred out of the sender's "sent" box and into the recipient's inbox.

It sounds like the OP wants to know if a moderator could ban a spammer who sent a large number of PMs out, and if by doing so those sent messages would be removed before most people ever saw them. Steve is answering that the messages can be removed by an admin by choosing the "Delete every message sent by user" option as an admin, which is what the OP seems to want - no matter how the PM transfer system works. In this situation, it doesn't really matter how the messages or transferred or in what stage of transference they are in, because all the Admin has to do is click the button and all those spam messages disappear.
    Last edited by Webbstre; Wed 25 Nov '09, 9:26pm. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• steven s
    replied
    Originally posted by sailnet View Post
    I just had a guy join the forum and evidently has some sort of bot that he runs because he sent 94 spam pm in a matter of a few minutes.

how do I stop this crap?

thanks
    Not sure why this in Pre-sales, but. . .
    You need to take steps so spammers can't register in the first place. Or at least make it difficult.
    In the 2nd place, you may want to limit PMs to those with x number of posts.

Leave a comment:

• sailnet
    replied
    I just had a guy join the forum and evidently has some sort of bot that he runs because he sent 94 spam pm in a matter of a few minutes.

how do I stop this crap?

thanks

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    The private message is not private, because you usually browse a forum over http and not https; meaning no data is encrypted, a man in the middle attack can read out the plain text over the connection. Privacy is relative.

In this case it is called "private message" because it is a private message between two or more users. And not meant to be a public msg, such as a topic in a forum. It does not mean 'private, 512ssl encrypted - hashed version of the msg, that can be read one time and requires a unique key to be licensed' or something like that.

A owner of a board you own your data, this includes the private msgs and public topics and posts. And account details, such as username, email, and IP address.

If there's abuse the owner can go to the report feature in 3.8, or use phpmyadmin for older versions to try and scan for the abusive data to confirm abuse .. and take appropiate action.

If you dont' trust board owners, then don't communicate something that is supposed to be private, in a personal or private msg (or however you wish to call it) and use a ssl email over vpn network.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    How is deleting a member's PMs 'bad' or an invasion of privacy? That is a standard tool for Admins to fight spammers.

The good thing is that you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

Leave a comment:

• Nick
    replied
    Originally posted by NetNanny View Post
    WOW, that's a bad, bad power....
    So let's not kid each other, users have no real privacy huh ? I guess PM really does stand for personal messages instead of private messages.
    Hmm... I think you're misunderstanding.

How does removing a private message void the privacy? ... It doesn't.

What happens when a handful of members PM you saying they received a spam message from user "Joe Spammer"?
    Would it not be obvious that you should delete all PMs sent by him?

And if you think it's too much power, there are two simple remedies:
    1) Don't use the feature
    or
    2) Use a different forum script

Leave a comment:

• NetNanny
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Yes.
    WOW, that's a bad, bad power....
    So let's not kid each other, users have no real privacy huh ? I guess PM really does stand for personal messages instead of private messages.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• ---MAD---
    replied
    Originally posted by NetNanny View Post
    No doubt me asking more questions will anger you, but just bear with me. So reading your 2nd line now brings up another question. Am I to interpret that for example, if I send you one PM today, you read it and leave it in your inbox, then a few weeks later I'm banned and the Admin decides to use the delete all user's sent PM's, that - that old PM sitting in your inbox will also be deleted ? Just answer with a yes or no please, just to keep it simple.
    Trust me Steve will not get angry .

Leave a comment:

• NetNanny
    replied
    There are two options to delete PMs in the user profile in the Admin CP:

Delete All User's Private Messages

Delete Private Messages Sent by User

Both of these options delete all the relevant PMs for that user when they are run by an Admin.
    No doubt me asking more questions will anger you, but just bear with me. So reading your 2nd line now brings up another question. Am I to interpret that for example, if I send you one PM today, you read it and leave it in your inbox, then a few weeks later I'm banned and the Admin decides to use the delete all user's sent PM's, that - that old PM sitting in your inbox will also be deleted ? Just answer with a yes or no please, just to keep it simple.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    There are two options to delete PMs in the user profile in the Admin CP:

Delete All User's Private Messages

Delete Private Messages Sent by User

Both of these options delete all the relevant PMs for that user when they are run by an Admin.

Leave a comment:

• NetNanny
    replied
    As noted this is an option only available in the Admin CP to Admins. Mods cannot access this or delete user PMs. The PMs are deleted when the Admin runs that function. I don't see how that is vague at all. In fact it's quite explicit.
    OK, I see...
    An Admin then. So when the Admin runs that function from the Admin CP even PM's that are already delivered to another user will be deleted ?? From their "private" inbox ?? WOW, that's a bit of power huh ?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    As noted this is an option only available in the Admin CP to Admins. Mods cannot access this or delete user PMs. The PMs are deleted when the Admin runs that function. I don't see how that is vague at all. In fact it's quite explicit.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X