Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just had a guy join the forum and evidently has some sort of bot that he runs because he sent 94 spam pm in a matter of a few minutes.

how do I stop this crap?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sailnet View Post
      I just had a guy join the forum and evidently has some sort of bot that he runs because he sent 94 spam pm in a matter of a few minutes.

how do I stop this crap?

thanks
      Not sure why this in Pre-sales, but. . .
      You need to take steps so spammers can't register in the first place. Or at least make it difficult.
      In the 2nd place, you may want to limit PMs to those with x number of posts.
      ...steven
      www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
      bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
      "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

I think I know what the original poster is trying to ask. In phpbb3 if you send a PM it can still be edited or deleted by the original sender until the recipient actually looks at it. That is the point when the "sent" message is actually transferred out of the sender's "sent" box and into the recipient's inbox.

It sounds like the OP wants to know if a moderator could ban a spammer who sent a large number of PMs out, and if by doing so those sent messages would be removed before most people ever saw them. Steve is answering that the messages can be removed by an admin by choosing the "Delete every message sent by user" option as an admin, which is what the OP seems to want - no matter how the PM transfer system works. In this situation, it doesn't really matter how the messages or transferred or in what stage of transference they are in, because all the Admin has to do is click the button and all those spam messages disappear.
        Last edited by Webbstre; Wed 25 Nov '09, 9:26pm. Reason: typo

Comment

This was a big problem for our forum so just make a "newly registered" user group that cannot send PMs to anyone, and after a few weeks you can change them to the "normal" usergroup. =)

Comment

Please post in the correct forum for support.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X