This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why buy it?

Perhaps this post has been posted before, perhaps it's been replied.
    The old cliche response is bound to happen "USE SEARCH!!1!!!1one!!"
    Unfortunately, I'm not going to use search, I'm kinda lazy.
    I'd rather a direct, and more up-to-date reply.

Anyways, few questions here.

1 - Why is the price so high? $100 bucks is steep for a single-licensed forum.
    Hell Php-Nuke comes with a CMS+Forum and its most current versions sell for $10, previous versions released free.

2 - What seperates a cracked copy of vBulletin, from a paid legit copy?
    I mean I've downloaded a copy of vBulletin from a torrent site, what's to stop me from using it, I haven't yet but, really?

Please, don't say "when you pay, you get the updates" ..
    Updates are only important when you can't debug it yourself.

Anyways, those are my 2 questions. I may have more, pending replies.

Thanks for your time.

Seriously, what a question is this.

1 - Do you also go to a ferrari dealer and ask why it's so expensive? And tell them it's not fair as an opel corsa is cheaper...

2 - The fact that it's illegal to use a cracked version, but that you already knew of course. So why should you buy it:
    -Security updates, even if you're good at php. I can assure you, you can't fix those yourselve. And even if you can, the time you spend doing that, you can earn $1000's with doing other jobs.
    -Mods: a huge amount of modifications, for me this was the real reason to buy vb.

Well, there sure are enough other reasons to buy a legal license, have a look at this pre-sales question forum, there are a lot of people that first ran a cracked version and they now want to buy a legal version.

The 160$ is just nothing compared to all the effort and trouble you get with a cracked version. And come on, who hasn't $160 somewhere. And if you're too poor to pay for it, than you indeed need to go with a cheaper solution, that's the way the world works.

Comment

I mean I've downloaded a copy of vBulletin from a torrent site, what's to stop me from using it, I haven't yet but, really?

It would be reported and shut down straight away. Don't bother -- just buy a license.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2 View Post

It would be reported and shut down straight away. Don't bother -- just buy a license.
        And the fact you'd either have to pay a hefty fine or go to jail.

Comment

Originally posted by gamestar View Post
          Seriously, what a question is this.

1 - Do you also go to a ferrari dealer and ask why it's so expensive? And tell them it's not fair as an opel corsa is cheaper...
          That's so irrelevant it's difficult to believe you typed it in a serious tone.
          It's almost like you mocked your own post!
          And yes! I WOULD go to a Ferrari dealer and ask them why they are so expensive wanna know WHY? Cus the Ferarri sucks!

Do you go to a ferarri dealer and buy web forums? No?
          Putting Ferrari and vBulletin together for relevance makes little sense to me.. Do I go to php-Nuke and ask them why they charge $10 per copy when they just give it away for free later on down the road anyways? Yep. I do.

2 - The fact that it's illegal to use a cracked version, but that you already knew of course. So why should you buy it:
          Most people should know by now.. "illegal" ?
          The internet has no law. We govern ourselves.
          Don't believe me? Call the police and ask

-Security updates, even if you're good at php. I can assure you, you can't fix those yourselve. And even if you can, the time you spend doing that, you can earn $1000's with doing other jobs.
          Again making little to no sense. If I'm good at PHP I should be able to patch security holes. In fact, NOT being good at PHP means you can't fix them yourself. Stop relying on other people to do your work for you dude!

-Mods: a huge amount of modifications, for me this was the real reason to buy vb.
          Mods/Hacks/Add-On's/Styles/etc..
          For these I can download them as well as the actual forum.
          I can also port other Forum Mods (like phpBB, etc) into VBulletin.

All I got from your reply so far ... is:

- It's illegal.
          - It has mods.
          - It's like a ferrari.

Well, there sure are enough other reasons to buy a legal license, have a look at this pre-sales question forum, there are a lot of people that first ran a cracked version and they now want to buy a legal version.
          I didn't look around too much, but the few posts I seen were people with nulled versions. Looks to me like they had it working, then got busted, and are only paying to get their data back ..

The 160$ is just nothing compared to all the effort and trouble you get with a cracked version. And come on, who hasn't $160 somewhere. And if you're too poor to pay for it, than you indeed need to go with a cheaper solution, that's the way the world works.
          $160 is quite a lot of money. So is $100.
          Even if you are rich, thats still a bike for your kid, nice dinner + movie with the wife n kids, anything aside from a single license..

Put it this way.. I can pay $100 and download it right now.
          Or I can download it right now, spend a few hours, and have it for free.

All I'm asking here is, what's the difference :P Cus I see none...

When you want to buy something, do you not look around for the cheapest price? Is Free not the cheapest you can get? Am I alone in the world when I say I'd rather get something for free, or at least half price?

Comment

Yep. Nulls are bad. You go to jail, and spend time with Cinderblock.

Seriously. $100 isn't too bad compared to some other forum software out there, like IPB. They seem cheaper at first, but then the price jacks up, after a little bit. Renewals and all.

EDIT: And trust me. We are being nice when it comes to this. I know the vBulletin Staff would eat you alive if they found you using a pirated copy.

Comment

1) what's the point coming here and complain about the product price ? you think Jelsoft if going to lower the price because you say it's expensive ?

2) do you really wanna goto jail ? besides the fact that cracked copies may contain a backdoor ... you will get into trouble with law enforcement as this is illegal (and yes Jelsoft CAN see that)

3) for the security updates.Even if you are a PHP guru yourself there is no way you can fix the security holes yourself because those details are never published in public

4) phpnuke is one of the most insecure systems ever created vBulletin has a standard that whenever a hole is discoverd a fix is provided within 24 hours now name 1 competitor who beats that timeframe ?

Comment

We believe the key to vBulletin's growing success is the extensive range of useful features, the ease of use of the software, the quality of our code, and the excellent technical and customer support we provide.

All of our staff (Developers and Support Team) are paid. This is not a hobby that we do on our spare time - rather, it is a real job and responsibility. We believe that we provide the best bulletin board software and support available.

To get the perspective of our customers on why they've chosen vBulletin over the alternatives, I suggest you look through our testimonials page:
                http://www.vbulletin.com/customers.php

Further discussion of why stealing copyrighted software is good will result in closing this thread.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

feed the troll

Seriously people, is this person even worth the time to respond to?

Comment

Originally posted by geek0x42 View Post
                    That's so irrelevant it's difficult to believe you typed it in a serious tone.
                    It's almost like you mocked your own post!
                    And yes! I WOULD go to a Ferrari dealer and ask them why they are so expensive wanna know WHY? Cus the Ferarri sucks!

Do you go to a ferarri dealer and buy web forums? No?
                    Putting Ferrari and vBulletin together for relevance makes little sense to me.. Do I go to php-Nuke and ask them why they charge $10 per copy when they just give it away for free later on down the road anyways? Yep. I do.

Most people should know by now.. "illegal" ?
                    The internet has no law. We govern ourselves.
                    Don't believe me? Call the police and ask

Again making little to no sense. If I'm good at PHP I should be able to patch security holes. In fact, NOT being good at PHP means you can't fix them yourself. Stop relying on other people to do your work for you dude!

Mods/Hacks/Add-On's/Styles/etc..
                    For these I can download them as well as the actual forum.
                    I can also port other Forum Mods (like phpBB, etc) into VBulletin.

All I got from your reply so far ... is:

- It's illegal.
                    - It has mods.
                    - It's like a ferrari.

I didn't look around too much, but the few posts I seen were people with nulled versions. Looks to me like they had it working, then got busted, and are only paying to get their data back ..

$160 is quite a lot of money. So is $100.
                    Even if you are rich, thats still a bike for your kid, nice dinner + movie with the wife n kids, anything aside from a single license..

Put it this way.. I can pay $100 and download it right now.
                    Or I can download it right now, spend a few hours, and have it for free.

All I'm asking here is, what's the difference :P Cus I see none...

When you want to buy something, do you not look around for the cheapest price? Is Free not the cheapest you can get? Am I alone in the world when I say I'd rather get something for free, or at least half price?
                    LOL wow dude, I can't believe you're actually trying to make us believe that nulling the software is OK and should be allowed. Just wow.

Internet has no law huh? Uhm, Yeah it does, let me ask you this
                    - People download music off p2p programs such as Limewire, bearshare & Kazaa, yes? Police bust people who download said music from said programs, yes? In some cases (if not all?) the downloader gets hit with a fine or jail-time, yes?

Now let me ask you this....If downloading a few songs off the internet for free is illegal and wrong, and has consequences, what makes you think doing the same with vBulletin, doesn't?

I'm pretty sure Jelsoft would do a search and FIND your forum and have it removed completely within minutes. Not only that, think of all the time you wasted working on making it look legit, etc.

Stop being a cheapskate and pay the fee for an owned license. If you are unsure if vB is right for you, they have a demo available on the main site.

Now before you jump down my throat and try to prove your flawed logic, Let me say this, I also nulled vBulletin before I purchased it, but the difference was, I had the full intention of purchasing it (or removing it completely) if i liked it or didn't. I decided that I wanted to use vBulletin, and the reason I nulled it, was so that my users could see if they wanted to make the switch over from ZetaBoards, they all agreed.

I even told the staff here that I was running a nulled, but in the end, I had taken it down and purchased the license within 5 days of putting the cracked copy up on my server, and now I am a very satisfied owned license customer.

Stop trying to find loopholes in what Jelsoft has decided to do with their software, and if you're such a PHP guru like you say you are, then, you should know about the various systems out there available that can be customized to look & work like vBulletin, for FREE, LEGALLY. *cough* MyBB *cough*

Aside from that, it's not like IPS, that it was once free, and now it's not, so let's crack the latest version and use it for free anyway! vBulletin was NEVER free software, and never will be.

Comment

Steve is the only one with a brain here. He understands the question.

He wasn't asking anyone to lower the price, nor does he fear jail, I mean seriously, no one goes to jail for copyright infringement on the internet, they get about 10 warnings before they even get a court order. Then It's just a fine.. Unless you're hosting like 800gigs of pirated movies..*edit: I'm referring to webservers, not p2p programs like the idiot int he last post who actually compared pirating music to this*

Point is: he was asking WHY the product costs so much, and WHY you think he should pay for it when he can get it free. Basically to explain to him why it's worth paying. Instead people ran off the mouth.. Nice answer Steve.

Comment

1 - Why is the price so high? $100 bucks is steep for a single-licensed forum.
                        It's $180 for an owned license (life long license). There are forum solutions out there that charge thousands of dollars. It simply depends on your requirements really. If you are looking for a community forum solution that keeps security and stability in mind and comes with many extensive features, then vBulletin is for you.

What features come with vBulletin? Check this page out - http://www.vbulletin.com/features.php

The fact you are on the right side of the law and that you will not be hassled by hosting services and vB staff to either license your forum or have take it down.

Plus a license allows you to recieve support and access to many mods. Plus you are also able to upgrade to latest versions with new features and also access to security patches ASAP.

A nulled version may contain back doors that allow hackers to destroy your forum something your members would not be happy about at all.

If you members realise you are running a nulled version (which they can find out about quite easily - IE contacting vB to check), they will not take your board seriously and simply leave and find somewhere more respectedable where the owners care about their community and will spend time and money to ensure they are providing their users with the bestexperiance and nothing but the best experiance .

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeSmoke View Post
                          vBulletin was NEVER free software, and never will be.
                          Originally posted by ---MAD--- View Post
                          If you members realise you are running a nulled version (which they can find out about quite easily - IE contacting vB to check), they will not take your board seriously and simply leave and find somewhere more respectable where the owners care about their community and will spend time and money to ensure they are providing their users with the best experience and nothing but the best experience .
                          Those two posts sum it up for you. They also win this topic. Piracy is bad. Don't download Nulled copies. If you do, you could COMPROMISE your whole site.

*Requests Lockie*

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                            We believe the key to vBulletin's growing success is the extensive range of useful features, the ease of use of the software, the quality of our code, and the excellent technical and customer support we provide.

All of our staff (Developers and Support Team) are paid. This is not a hobby that we do on our spare time - rather, it is a real job and responsibility. We believe that we provide the best bulletin board software and support available.

To get the perspective of our customers on why they've chosen vBulletin over the alternatives, I suggest you look through our testimonials page:
                            http://www.vbulletin.com/customers.php

Further discussion of why stealing copyrighted software is good will result in closing this thread.
                            Close it then, I can't argue with stupidity.

These people talking about Jail are not worth the effort.
                            You trying to send me to a testimonials page, when my whole reason for posting was to get REAL responses, from REAL people, in REAL-TIME, about vBulletin. Although I'm sure you'd rather I read what you put there, instead of what the community has to say for themselves.

Anywho, next worthy of a response:

LOL wow dude, I can't believe you're actually trying to make us believe that nulling the software is OK and should be allowed. Just wow.
                            I never said nulling the software is ok, re-read my post.
                            Nulling the software is a failed attempt at cracking, in my opinion.

Internet has no law huh? Uhm, Yeah it does, let me ask you this
                            - People download music off p2p programs such as Limewire, bearshare & Kazaa, yes? Police bust people who download said music from said programs, yes? In some cases (if not all?) the downloader gets hit with a fine or jail-time, yes?
                            They're issued cease/decist orders, then they are -sued-, not prosecuted.
                            Find me one person arrested, and detained, and then convicted in a court of law, for downloading anything illegal in the USA :P There's lots that have been sued, none that are in jail.

Now let me ask you this....If downloading a few songs off the internet for free is illegal and wrong, and has consequences, what makes you think doing the same with vBulletin, doesn't?
                            It might be illegal, but the whole "wrong" thing is a perspective, not a fact.

I'm pretty sure Jelsoft would do a search and FIND your forum and have it removed completely within minutes. Not only that, think of all the time you wasted working on making it look legit, etc.
                            I wouldn't wanna make it look legit, and they'd have a hard time shutting me down.

Stop being a cheapskate and pay the fee for an owned license. If you are unsure if vB is right for you, they have a demo available on the main site.
                            Don't be so insulting and aggressive, I'm not a cheapskate. I'm a smart shopper

Now before you jump down my throat and try to prove your flawed logic, Let me say this, I also nulled vBulletin before I purchased it, but the difference was, I had the full intention of purchasing it (or removing it completely) if i liked it or didn't. I decided that I wanted to use vBulletin, and the reason I nulled it, was so that my users could see if they wanted to make the switch over from ZetaBoards, they all agreed.
                            First off, don't talk about logic, cus I don't have enough textbox space to point out the flaws in your own. Also, you're bragging yet you have no idea as to my intentions. How do you know I wasn't intending on cracking it for the sole purpose of previewing it in full glory before I bought it? Point made, you lose.

I even told the staff here that I was running a nulled, but in the end, I had taken it down and purchased the license within 5 days of putting the cracked copy up on my server, and now I am a very satisfied owned license customer.
                            .... I don't particularly care if you paid, or didn't pay, or nulled.
                            I posted to get feedback, not to argue.

And to wrap it up with a laugh:

"We believe that we provide the best bulletin board software and support available." ~ So does everyone else that writes BB Software.

Comment

So pretty much, you are saying it's okay to use illegal software? I say otherwise. Lemme put it this way. How would you feel if something you were selling to the public, was nulled, and given away?

EDIT: If you want to preview it, TRY the demo. It's free to try.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X