Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching to Vbulletin

I just have a simple question

I have a forum by phpBB that is hosted by freeforums here, I think it's great but I know it's nowhere near as great as VBulletin so I just want to know if I'll be able to convert/upgrade my entire forum to VBulletin later down the road or simply once it's has a good amount of members

I'm sure this question has been asked but I just want to make sure, I'd hate to have a forum and have no way of upgrading to VBulletin later on

Originally posted by Andio View Post

I have a forum by phpBB that is hosted by freeforums here, I think it's great but I know it's nowhere near as great as VBulletin so I just want to know if I'll be able to convert/upgrade my entire forum to VBulletin later down the road or simply once it's has a good amount of members
    You may convert/upgrade your forum to vBulletin,provided you do have its database.
    Without the database it is not possible to convert it.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

I'm sure this question has been asked but I just want to make sure, I'd hate to have a forum and have no way of upgrading to VBulletin later on
      If they offer a Database Transfer, then, yes, I'm pretty sure you can convert. Otherwise, you cannot convert, as you will not have the data needed to import everything over.

Comment

I do not think they offer data transfer.

how big is your forum. as in members, Post etc.

VB is really good in Search engine ranks.

Comment

If you are just starting out, you should just make the leap over to vB before getting really big, it will save you time & money in the long run.

Comment

I contacted Freeforums and they said this

Originally posted by Freeforums staff View Post
            You can purchase an unlocked backup of your database, which can be restored elsewhere, from FreeForums for $30. You pay this via paypal to [email protected].

When you have the paypal transaction ID for that payment email it to [email protected] along with your forum name and URL.

A backup can take 2-3 business days and will be emailed to you when completed. You would have to use a converter from PHPBB to restore it on vBulletin but there is no way to promise that will work, that decision is up to you. We can no longer support you forum once it moves off the FreeForums servers unless you upgrade to advanced hosting. http://www.freeforums.org/advanced.php
            I'm considering doing what NegativeSmoke said, $30 just to back it up and it might fail so there's a chance I'd be loosing $30 for nothing >_>

Aside from that, if I do choose to get VBulletin right now then which package would you guys recommend, if I'm planning on building a gaming forum like here and here

Comment

I'm considering doing what NegativeSmoke said, $30 just to back it up and it might fail so there's a chance I'd be loosing $30 for nothing >_>

Aside from that, if I do choose to get VBulletin right now then which package would you guys recommend, if I'm planning on building a gaming forum like here and here
              Probably the latest release and an owned license. It may be more expensive in the short run, but Leased QUICKLY catches up to it, price-wise. Also, just off-topic, on the PokeCommunity Forums...I pity the foo who has to edit ALL those skins, when it comes to template changes.

Comment

I also would recommend purchasing an owned license, if you plan on running your community for more than two years.

This thread has a chart: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286565
                Regards,
                Nick

Comment

There are plenty of affordable hosting packages out there man.

I can assist you in setting up your vBulletin on your host if you don't know how to do it yourself.

feel free to add me to MSN if you need any further assistance regarding webhosts (msn is in profile)

Comment

Just to make sure I understood everything. This means if I purchase the owned license then the Forum will be mine forever, no monthly/Yearly fee??

Which means upgrades are the only thing I'll have to purchase later in the future??

Originally posted by NegativeSmoke View Post
                    There are plenty of affordable hosting packages out there man.

I can assist you in setting up your vBulletin on your host if you don't know how to do it yourself.

feel free to add me to MSN if you need any further assistance regarding webhosts (msn is in profile)
                    Thanks I'm still pondering if I should buy it but I'll add you on MSN

Comment

Just to make sure I understood everything. This means if I purchase the owned license then the Forum will be mine forever, no monthly/Yearly fee??

Which means upgrades are the only thing I'll have to purchase later in the future??

Thanks I'm still pondering if I should buy it but I'll add you on MSN
                      That is correct. With an owned license, the software is yours to run forever with no future fees.

The only fees to pay are for upgrades. This fee is yearly, and is totally optional.
                      Regards,
                      Nick

Comment

Ah I see, it seemed kinda odd because in some forums I've been Admins sometimes begged for money and made it seem like you had to do monthly payment which I see now that it's only a one time pay. lol

Makes sense now, thanks for great info everyone!! I'll buy a owned licensed version as soon as my Financial AID check for college arrives which will be really soon

Comment

Ah I see, it seemed kinda odd because in some forums I've been Admins sometimes begged for money and made it seem like you had to do monthly payment which I see now that it's only a one time pay. lol

Makes sense now, thanks for great info everyone!! I'll buy a owned licensed version as soon as my Financial AID check for college arrives which will be really soon
                          College Financial Aid check being spent on vBulletin, eh?

lol
                          Regards,
                          Nick

Comment

lol yeah, I'm actually studying for web designing along with other computer related stuff so I see it a good way to start learning some of this stuff now as a hobby

Comment

Ahh okay, I see
                              Regards,
                              Nick

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X