Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great software, BUT Moderation is just too EXPENSIVE! or is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great software, BUT Moderation is just too EXPENSIVE! or is it?

Hi all,

I would love to buy and install the software, but I am afraid of the additional work load and cost associated with moderating and maintaining a forum.

Could you please answer my questions? I know all of these depend on the amount of traffic and participation, however, are you able to assume a typical forum of 5000 members?

Where do I go for profesional moderation services?

What are the typical costs for profesional moderation?

Is it easy to find TUSTWORTHY volunteer moderators?

How many support emails will I have to maintain?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    David.

Professional moderation? As far as I know, most moderators don't work for a salary, so it'd be free. If you hired someone though, it wouldn't be that expensive, and with a relatively small or medium sized forum, you'd only need a few staff anyway.

It's pretty easy to find trustworthy volunteer moderators, just look for intelligent, active members from the forum community in question and ask them if they would want to be staff.

Support emails? Only one email address from my experience, and only a few emails from the contact form when someone can't ask you via the board itself...

Finally, don't go with member count to figure out how hard moderation is, because things like post/thread count is important too (you can't moderate much with a forum of 5000 members and 7000 posts for example), and some types of communities will be harder to moderate than others.
    DS Ultimate- A Nintendo DS Forum

My Blog (Nintendo, vBulletin and other articles)

My Profile and Modifications at vBulletin.org

Comment

Originally posted by cheat-master30 View Post
      It's pretty easy to find trustworthy volunteer moderators.
      +1

Comment

Originally posted by cheat-master30 View Post
        It's pretty easy to find trustworthy volunteer moderators, just look for intelligent, active members from the forum community in question and ask them if they would want to be staff.
        +1 from me too

And on that note, I would advise against opening "applications" for moderators, as you'll find you'll get the majority of applications from members who are either unsuitable, or just want to be a moderator for the "status"/"power"

I find the best method to find decent moderators is my own judgement and offering the positions to uses I feel are suitable for the position.
        http://data.collectiveirc.net/status/user/Jobe.png

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X