Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vblog in demo

Hello,

It would be cool if vbulletin added vblog to the demo. This way we can demo the ACP of vblog.
    Arcade.gs Game Site!

There are some technical and security issues involved with this at this time. It is something that will be worked on towards the future but we don't have a timeline as of yet.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

So, are you saying there is a security issue in the Blog system Wayne? I was looking to purchase it this wendsday.

Comment

Ithink he means there's issues with it being included in the demo. I can think of one offhand with the product exporting option.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeSmoke View Post
          So, are you saying there is a security issue in the Blog system Wayne?
          No... The online demo is a specialized version of vBulletin so it has specific considerations that have to be taken into account.

There are security issues with allowing plugins and products to be included with the online demo.

There are technical issues to allow Jelsoft addons to be included without allowing people to view or modify the PHP code or utilize other plugins.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
            No... The online demo is a specialized version of vBulletin so it has specific considerations that have to be taken into account.

There are security issues with allowing plugins and products to be included with the online demo.

There are technical issues to allow Jelsoft addons to be included without allowing people to view or modify the PHP code or utilize other plugins.
            Ah yes, I see now. I thought you mean't there was an actual security issue with the blog system I was like "WTF? they're charging people dough for this when they are aware of security holes? LAME!"

but then realized the plugin exporting option and was like "Ooooh."

Comment

Thanks Wayne,

I wanted to play around with the vblog acp before making my purchase on wednesday.
              Arcade.gs Game Site!

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeSmoke View Post
                Ah yes, I see now. I thought you mean't there was an actual security issue with the blog system I was like "WTF? they're charging people dough for this when they are aware of security holes? LAME!"

but then realized the plugin exporting option and was like "Ooooh."
                Plugin exporting actually isn't as bad as some other nasty things malicious people can do with plugin access... worst case is that it gets leaked out for piracy, for free... which, while bad on its own, is not the highest order of the concerns on that front....

Keeping in mind that:
                • Plugin allows execution of arbitary php code
                • Some times, webservers are configured to have write permissions with specific directories (IE: attachments)
                • Some times, webservers are configured to allow execution of certain things (IE: uptime, to check load averages, etc.)

With plugin system open for all, it opens up us to a lot of security problems such as people trying to hack the demo server, or use it to attack other servers, or use it to spam, etc. etc. etc. etc. A lot of doors are opened as result of that. This is also why we have the "Can Administer Plugins" permission available, and also admins shouldn't be giving out plugin administration access to any sub administrators on their site
                Best Regards,
                Andy Huang

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

What about an image or static html demo?
                  ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                  Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I got my blog and did my first blog entry

http://noobgamers.com/forum/blogs/ni...blog-here.html
                    Arcade.gs Game Site!

Comment

I will hopefully be purchasing my blog today!

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
                        What about an image or static html demo?
                        For a static look at the Admin CP, you can look at the documentation for the blog and project tools in the Online Documentation section of the site.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Working...
                        X