Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using vBulletin in a commercial environment

hi there,

i would appreciate it if you could clarify whether vbulletin can do the following:-

1) each "topic" within the forum represents a person. whenever i post a reply under a specific topic, the contents of that message automatically get e-mailed to that person. not a "link" to the message, the "actual" message.

2) i would like to use the forum in-house (sort of like an intranet environment) where the members are all physically located within an office. no one else is allowed to post (so the forum is password protected). there are many customers though, who get frequent updates. each one of those customers can log-in to see only "one" post. and the only post they can see is the one which is named after them. so basically the customers have read-only access to only the post named after them and no other capability whatsoever.

Please let me know whether 1) and 2) above are possible fully, partially and if partially, which things cannot be done.

Regards.

Each "user" represents a person, throughout your entire forum.
    Each "post" represents a single message entry made by a user (or in some cases if applicable, made by a guest).
    Each "thread" under a discussion forum -- such as vBulletin Pre-sales Questions -- represents a series of posts made by one or more persons.
    Each "forum" represents a container for thread(s), such as vBulletin Pre-sales Questions.
    Each "site" represents a container for forums, such as vbulletin.com/forum/.

When a user subscribes to the thread; the user have several options:
    1) Receive instant notification; each time a post is added to the thread, an email is dispatched including information pertaining about the post. The email may include actual message of the post. Administrator of the site can edit the message to suit their site's needs.
    2) Receive daily digest; at end of the day, an email is dispatched including information pertaining about the posts made that day. The email may include actual messages within the posts. Adaministrator of the site can edit the message to suit their site's needs.
    3) Receive no notification; do not dispatch email about updates to the thread. Subscribed threads can be reviewed in the user control panel section of the website.

There are no permission controls at a per thread level. The lowest level of permission control is at a per forum level. That is to say, user can see the threads in the particular forums you grant them permission to, if you allow their user group to do so.

You can configure the permission so that user can only see threads created by themselves in a particular forum, then they won't see other user's threads in that forum; however, you will then need to have them create the thread on their own.

You can configure the permission so that user cannot reply to the existing threads, so you can have a read-only forum.
    Best Regards,
    Andy Huang

Comment

perfect, this solves my entire problem. thank you so much!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X