Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions

I would really like to upgrade my site from phpbb 3.0.1 to vBulletin, but I am kind of worried. Being a college student, the $100 is something that I hate to pay without really knowing what I'm getting into, and knowing if everything will transfer over and not having any knowledge of how to install mods or anything (especially since this is not a site for profit).

I didn't think I saw anything, but is there a certain amount of time after I lease a license that I could cancel it and get a refund or anything? Or any way I could lease the license for a shorter amount of time?

Originally posted by jchoopz View Post
    I didn't think I saw anything, but is there a certain amount of time after I lease a license that I could cancel it and get a refund or anything? Or any way I could lease the license for a shorter amount of time?
    You may buy the owned version and sell it after a certain time.
    I don't think that you can sell a leased version.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Well, I wasn't necessarily talking about reselling, but just getting a refund. Say I try it out for 3-4 days and decide that it isn't for me, can I get my money back?

Comment

No sorry. There is no money back guarantee. Once you have downloaded the software there is simply no way to return it.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Ok, thanks. I guess I have a decision to make. Just to make sure, can I indeed transfer from phpbb 3.0.1 to the newest version of vbulletin? And if so is there a list somewhere of exactly what all transfers and what I would lose and such. Thanks.

Comment

Ok, thanks. I guess I have a decision to make. Just to make sure, can I indeed transfer from phpbb 3.0.1 to the newest version of vbulletin? And if so is there a list somewhere of exactly what all transfers and what I would lose and such. Thanks.
            Yes. See the vBulletin Import Export System forum.
            Toddler from Hell

Comment

Yes, there is an importer: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_phpBB3

Version supported : 3.0.0 (will be updated if needed)

Usergroups

Default permissions.

Users

Majority of profile.

Not passwords

(username, email, joindate, ipaddress last activity, lastvisit)

Forums and Categories

All are currently imported as visible and open.

Threads

All are currently imported as visible with open & sticky state.

All are currently imported as visible with IP.

Private Messages

Currently all PM's are stored as sent and recived for each user.

Attachments

Imported and attached to posts.

Moderators

Imported and attached to forums.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Wait, passwords are transfered? Sorry to sound stupid, but how would they login?

Comment

Wait, passwords are transfered? Sorry to sound stupid, but how would they login?
                  http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_passwords

Not all systems can import the source board's passwords; this is due to the nature in which they are stored. The details for each importer should list if they can be imported or not.

If you import from a system where the passwords can not be imported or there was an error importing the passwords you can use the email all users and send them the link to your boards password reset page when you are ready to go live.

That will allow them to reset their passwords, though it relies on them having the correct email address in their source boards user profile.

Users > Send Email to Users

For example:
                  Hello $username,

We have recently moved our forum to vBulletin, part of moving to this amazing software is that you are required to reset your password, if you follow this link and enter your email address you will be emailed directions to resetting your password.

http://www.example.com/forum/login.php?do=lostpw&email=$email

Thanks,
                  Webmaster of example.com
                  Twitter | Face Book

OSChat.net - Open Source Chat Software.
                  osTicket.com - Open Source Support Ticket Software.

Comment

Forgotten your password? Click here!

If you have forgotten your username or password, you can request to have your username emailed to you and to reset your password. When you fill in your registered email address, you will be sent instructions on how to reset your password.
                    Email Address:
                    Your users must have a valid email address.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Oh, Ok, makes sense

Ok, now, just one more thing, if you don't mind. I think I have decided to go ahead and do this, but I want to transfer everything and get the new site set up and make sure there are significant bugs and everything before moving to it. Any tips on the best way to do this?

Comment

Oh, Ok, makes sense

Ok, now, just one more thing, if you don't mind. I think I have decided to go ahead and do this, but I want to transfer everything and get the new site set up and make sure there are significant bugs and everything before moving to it. Any tips on the best way to do this?
                        BACK UP YOUR CURRENT/EXISTING DATABASE & FILES
                        I cannot stress this enough. But I'm glad to see you going the vB route.

Comment

yes, most definitely! I learned that the hard way earlier, lol. And I guess maybe I should ask this. Could I install it in a location such as mywebsite.com/vbulletin and get it all set up there and then move it to the home location? Or will I have to reinstall it if I move it? I hope that made sense.

Comment

With each license you purchase, you are allowed one testvb area.
                            So you can have mysite.com/testvb and temporarily test out your site there.

You have to secure the testvb directory via .htaccess and only you can have access.

Password protection with .htaccess:
                            http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess/3
                            http://www.sitedeveloper.ws/tutorials/htaccess.htm
                            http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess7.shtml
                            http://www.webmastersguide.com/htacc...s.htm#password

Remember that while you're testing it out, there will still be posts being made on your phpBB forum, so when you are ready, you should just copy it all over again but to your live site. I.e. mysite.com/forums
                            And then you can save the testvb to test modifications or other things out, in the future.
                            Regards,
                            Nick

Comment

alright, awesome. I'm wanting to put in lots of mods, and I know if I was doing this for phpbb I could put them all on the test forum, then save that and put it on the main site and just upload the updated database. Can I do that with vB as well?

I'm having a large tournament on my site on Wednesday, so I think I will wait to move the main site over until then, as I don't want everyone to be going through an adjustment period so to speak while trying to prepare for that. But anyway, you don't care about that, lol. Thanks a ton for all the help. I really appreciate it, and look forward to being a happy vBulletin user

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X