Very "noobish" questions about buying vBulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very "noobish" questions about buying vBulletin

Okay I know this is probably listed somewhere but am really not computer savvy at all so bear with me here!

I'm interested in purchasing a vBulletin forum, however I'm confused as to what exactly I will have to do to get it up and running. I looked at the available pricing and see that it's 180$ to buy the "Owned" license, and I think that is the option I would go with.

However, on the next page for ordering, there is the "Professional" installation that says:

"If you select this service, our server technicians will install vBulletin directly onto your server."

So I assume that I will need to have a "server" in order to run vBulletin. However, I have no idea how I'd acquire one and also would have no idea how to install the vBulletin software onto a server.

So I guess my main question is, do I need to buy my own server, and if so, where/how would I do that? Thanks for any help!

vBulletin requires a web server that includes PHP (minimum version 4.3.3) and MySQL (minimum 4.0.16) installed. As long as you have a host or server that meets these requirements you will be able to install and run our software.

We do not make official recommendations regarding hosting companies. I suggest you view the vBulletin Hosting Options forum for advice from our customers:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...?s=&forumid=11
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

To run vBulletin you will need.

1. Domain (www.yourdomain.com)
      2. Hosting with PHP and MySQL as Steve said.
      3. vBulletin license.

Get a domain, then get a hosting from any hosting company, host the domain you own to that hosting and then come back to buy vBulletin license. That's all.
      Last edited by Hayk; Sun 3 Aug '08, 10:22am.
      vBProjects - Professional vBulletin Services and Solutions
      vBSpring - Premium vBulletin Add-ons

Comment

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
        To run vBulletin you will need.

1. Domain (removed)
        2. Hosting with PHP and MySQL as Steve said.
        3. vBulletin license.

Get a domain, then get a hosting from any hosting company, host the domain you own to that hosting and then come back to buy vBulletin license. That's all.
        Thanks for listing an adult site

hahahhahah rofl
        Last edited by ac1d1dty; Sun 3 Aug '08, 10:32am.

Comment

Originally posted by ac1d1dty View Post
          Thanks for listing an adult site

hahahhahah rofl
          lol I've changed it Moderators, delete the link in the quote, please
          Last edited by Hayk; Sun 3 Aug '08, 10:30am.
          vBProjects - Professional vBulletin Services and Solutions
          vBSpring - Premium vBulletin Add-ons

Comment

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
            lol I've changed it Moderators, delete the link in the quote, please
            Its grand ill delete it XD

Comment

Anyways, I suggest a hoster like Lunarpages or Bluehost. They seem to offer the best deals, and they CAN run vBulletin.

But like Steve said, you need those requirements. Other than that, the vB License ALSO comes with access to vBulletin.org, the Official vBulletin Modifications site. [/shameless plug]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X