Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My registered users want their own forum. How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My registered users want their own forum. How?

My PHP/mySQL Linux website has members who purchase the product and then get access via their username/password stored in our database.

Can I install this forum so that they automatically become members of the forum with the same username/password as found in our database? Also the sign-up page on the forum will need to be disabled so that this is the only way to become a member of the forum.

Can this be done? Thanks.
    Last edited by rokkojones; Wed 30 Jul '08, 5:47pm. Reason: title change for clarity for others

You can restrict access to the forums to registered users only.

You can manually add users to the forum and shut off the registration page OR you can you approve all new registrations.

At this time, there is no Single Sign On ability. That would require custom coding which vbulletin cannot officially support.
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

I just responded to your ticket about this. Integrating vBulletin with a non-vB member system would require a rather extensive modification of the code. Of course, we cannot provide official support for code modifications. What most people do is modify their current system to use the vB member system.

Either way the place for help with this would be over at the mod site: http://www.vbulletin.org

Once you register you can post in the Pre-Sales forum there.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks Steve. I didn't expect such a quick reply. Great support!

If you're still around, just to be clear, so my programmer would be able to transfer a newly registered username/password in my database to the forum database, and disable the forum's registration function?

Comment

That depends on your programmer. However I would not recommend this since not only would it be fraught with potential problems, but this would make it very difficult to upgrade to future versions.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X