Few more vague questions -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few more vague questions -

Ok, so after a few months of volunteer work from a friend, VB has officially been put through the grinder. You folks should consider paying him for all the stuff he did to his version of VB to test it's security... Last night he called it quits after almost two-months straight of working on that thing from every possible angle. He declared VB completely bullet proof, and knowing what he can do, I believe him.

So, I'm sold. I have just a few questions and if all goes well, I should be placing my order tomorrow.

Question one, my card is having a lot of trouble with two of the payment services. I don't use Paypal because of a bad personal experience I had with them. And since my card isn't getting any fanfare from the other two services, my fiance is going to just call your office tomorrow and order it that way. Which brings my first question...

With her paying for it, is it still possible to get this instance of VB we are buying transferred in to my name tomorrow or at some later point? I've read some posts about that and tried to read the license agreement, but would rather hear it plainly put by someone from VB.

Next, we can't afford to purchase the branding license with the initial order, but would like to do so sometime within the next month or two. Is that possible or does it need to be purchased at the same time the lifetime license is purchased?

Also, I've seen many special things set aside for VB license holders, however, I have not had access to everything I'm sure. So, I'm wondering if there might be a special section with tips or some tutorials, etc., for first time VB admins. I have moderated a VB board, so I am somewhat familiar with it. However, Admin opens up a whole new area I have no experience in, with settings, etc.

Finally, I am aware of the need to register the domain at which VB will reside. However, our current host was recently acquired by another company and service is going down hill fast. That means I may be moving the site by the end of the year. How long does a person have to update the domain information if it changes? I'm simply thinking as far as days. Obviously, you would be aware if it were running multiple instances, etc., which is NOT what I have in mind. But if I don't get here to update the information until 24-48 hours later, is that a problem or is there a small window availalble?

Other than that, browsing the forums has already answered a lot of my other questions. So, I'm looking forward to these answers and I'm looking forward to getting the new board set up.

Cheers!

Originally posted by MindFixxer View Post
    Ok, so after a few months of volunteer work from a friend, VB has officially been put through the grinder. You folks should consider paying him for all the stuff he did to his version of VB to test it's security... Last night he called it quits after almost two-months straight of working on that thing from every possible angle. He declared VB completely bullet proof, and knowing what he can do, I believe him.

So, I'm sold. I have just a few questions and if all goes well, I should be placing my order tomorrow.

Question one, my card is having a lot of trouble with two of the payment services. I don't use Paypal because of a bad personal experience I had with them. And since my card isn't getting any fanfare from the other two services, my fiance is going to just call your office tomorrow and order it that way. Which brings my first question...

With her paying for it, is it still possible to get this instance of VB we are buying transferred in to my name tomorrow or at some later point? I've read some posts about that and tried to read the license agreement, but would rather hear it plainly put by someone from VB.
    Not sure.

Next, we can't afford to purchase the branding license with the initial order, but would like to do so sometime within the next month or two. Is that possible or does it need to be purchased at the same time the lifetime license is purchased?
    I think you can buy it afterwards, because from my quick check, you can just proceed to the 'more options for purchase page' without buying a new vBulletin license in the same way as if you bought the Blog or Project Tools.

Also, I've seen many special things set aside for VB license holders, however, I have not had access to everything I'm sure. So, I'm wondering if there might be a special section with tips or some tutorials, etc., for first time VB admins. I have moderated a VB board, so I am somewhat familiar with it. However, Admin opens up a whole new area I have no experience in, with settings, etc.
    Yes there is. Like on VBulletin.com is a Quick Tips and Customisations forum, while vBulletin.org actually has a very nice articles section here with potentially useful information:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=184

Finally, I am aware of the need to register the domain at which VB will reside. However, our current host was recently acquired by another company and service is going down hill fast. That means I may be moving the site by the end of the year. How long does a person have to update the domain information if it changes? I'm simply thinking as far as days. Obviously, you would be aware if it were running multiple instances, etc., which is NOT what I have in mind. But if I don't get here to update the information until 24-48 hours later, is that a problem or is there a small window availalble?
    For vBulletin? As long as you only run one copy per license at a time, you can change the actual domain pointing to the forums instantly, and even have multiple pointing to the same forum with the same content. There's an option somewhere to enter the new URL the forum will reside at.

Other than that, browsing the forums has already answered a lot of my other questions. So, I'm looking forward to these answers and I'm looking forward to getting the new board set up.

Cheers!
    vBulletin should be perfect for you from the requirements given.
    DS Ultimate- A Nintendo DS Forum

My Blog (Nintendo, vBulletin and other articles)

My Profile and Modifications at vBulletin.org

Comment

Originally posted by cheat-master30 View Post
      Not sure.
      Owned licenses are eligible for transfer after 3 months, as per the license agreement:
      Jelsoft may, at its discretion, allow you to transfer your Software license to another party, providing the license:
      • has not already been transferred in the previous 12 months; and
      • was purchased more than 3 months in the past.
      • is an active owned license

I think you can buy it afterwards, because from my quick check, you can just proceed to the 'more options for purchase page' without buying a new vBulletin license in the same way as if you bought the Blog or Project Tools.
      Yes, the Branding Free option can be obtained at any point as long as the license is active.
      Toddler from Hell

Comment

Well, Rebecca just purchased the Lifetime License for us, so I'd really like to hear from someone at VB about some of this.

Also, another question... With the member information that was sent, right under the customer number and password is a line that reads:
        -- vBulletin (Owned License); expires: Jul 28th '09

If it is an Owned license, is the expiration date only in reference to the year of updates offered, or is there something more...? I thought I read that correctly out front, but would sure like to make sure.

Comment

Also, now I'm wondering, before we download anything, etc. Is the software registered in HER name because she paid for it, or can I register it in my name with my websites IP AFTER we download it, etc.? We aren't touching that number and password until we can figure that much out.

Comment

1. With an owned license you get the right to run the software forever and access to the download section of the Members Area for one year. During that year you can download and install any new versions that are released. After the year is up you can renew the download access for $40/yr if ordered within 60 days of expiry date and $60 if ordered after 60 days. This is not a mandatory fee and you will still the right to run your current version for as long as you want. However if you want access to future updates you will need to renew this access.

2. You download vB from the Members Area:

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/

3. To get vB support on these forums you first need to be a licensed customer and register for Priority Forum Support. To do this, please go here:

http://members.vbulletin.com/membersupport_priority.php

...and enter your email address in one of the boxes. You'll need to have your customer number and password to access the page.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

No problem, hope you choose vBulletin!
                DS Ultimate- A Nintendo DS Forum

My Blog (Nintendo, vBulletin and other articles)

My Profile and Modifications at vBulletin.org

Comment

Originally posted by cheat-master30 View Post
                  No problem, hope you choose vBulletin!
                  Heh! Must not have read the post.

I did choose it. And I just realized the license is stuck with her name and email. I was able to add my email so that I can access support stuff, but it's still technically "hers" for what appears to be at least three months, which might make some things interesting if I need something from VB and she's not around at that minute. But, such is life.

Comment

Originally posted by MindFixxer View Post
                    I was able to add my email so that I can access support stuff, but it's still technically "hers" for what appears to be at least three months, which might make some things interesting if I need something from VB and she's not around at that minute. But, such is life.
                    As long as you're set up for priority support you shouldn't have problems getting anything from the staff. As far as access to the members' area I guess you two will have to make your own arrangements, but again, it shouldn't pose a problem.
                    Oh, and btw, welcome!
                    Toddler from Hell

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X