re-using authentication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re-using authentication

I have a suspicion that this question has been asked many times before - but I can't find where - so my apologies in advance for asking it again.

How hard is it - and how legal and how practicable - to integrate the authentication within vBulletin and use it across one's website site over non-vBulletin pages, associating large amounts of additional data with each user?

I am coding a custom web-app, and would prefer for my users not to have to login twice - one to my area, once to vBulletin.

Is there any code available to show how this might be achieved?

Also - just to confirm, is vBulletin fully 2 byte clean internally? What mbstring support is required in php to run a board in Japanese? (Recent versions of php seem to come with mbstring functions compiled in already, so this is less of an issue than it used to be I guess...)

Many thanks

You are allowed to code your own thing to authenticate against vBulletin database. The licensing will not hinder you from doing that for as long as you're not installing the forum on each of the domains just to achieve that effect.

There is no pre-done code that I'm aware of which does this for you, and we cannot provide custom coding support. However, vbulletin.org community have information as to how the database stores login information, and how you can authenticate against that, as well as a community that can help you with your coding needs.

Code:
    あいうえお
    かきくけこ
    さじすせそ
    たちつてと
    はひふへほ
    漢字も大丈夫です。
    As far as language support goes; vBulletin works with just about any language. For best reach, and least hassle should you need to incorporate more than one language on your forum, you will want to change the character set of languages to use Unicode UTF-8 instead of the ISO versions (IE: ISO-8859-1 for Western European, JIS/SJIS/EUC for Japanese). Additionally, you would want to clear out the blank character stripper setting so that blank character stripper doesn't detect false positive in mid character of a multibyte character, and break the character up.

There is, as of right now, no community contributed Japanese language pack that I'm aware of; so you may need to make your own translation. But if you know the language, it is not a difficult task... just time consuming... Aside from that, there shouldn't be anything else you'd need to take note of
    Best Regards,
    Andy Huang

Comment

subdomain

Thanks very much for your swift response.

One final question:

the license says

<snip>
      If you have a valid Software license, you may set up an additional test forum in order to test code, template and database modifications. To make this clear to us and our license verification procedures, place it in a directory called 'testvb' and be sure to password protect it. It must not be accessible by the general public.
      </snip>

I am not trying to get around the "spirit" of the license in any way - but
      can this test installation (in its testvb directory) be on a different subdomain to the "live" installation on the same server? (I ask because it makes development a bit easier to have total separation of the test site from the live site......)

e.g. publicly accessible installation on

http://www.mydomain.com/vbulletin

and password protected test setup on

http://test.mydomain.com/testvb

where both domains are on the same IP address/server

Comment

Originally posted by nickmay View Post
        can this test installation (in its testvb directory) be on a different subdomain to the "live" installation on the same server? (I ask because it makes development a bit easier to have total separation of the test site from the live site......)

e.g. publicly accessible installation on

http://www.mydomain.com/vbulletin

and password protected test setup on

http://test.mydomain.com/testvb

where both domains are on the same IP address/server
        Yes, the test-installation can be on a different domain, so long as the other caveats are followed.
        Toddler from Hell

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X