purchasing illegal version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• purchasing illegal version?

A friend of mine online is willing to sell me his vbulletin forum. He told me that he doesn't have a license for vbulletin. I would really like to purchase his website, is there a way so that I can purchase the license from vbulletin, and transfer the forums? He has a few mods installed, vbcredits, arcade, etc.
    I just want to be able to have a legit version, what should I do?

Yes, you could buy the site. Buy a vBulletin license and override the illegal vBulletin files with the purchased files.

Comment

And I wouldn't loose the mods?

Comment

As long as the mods have not modified the core vBulletin files (rarely will you find any mods doing this now a days) you will be fine.

Just overwrite the illegal vBulletin files with the licensed version and that's it!

Comment

You can check to see which core files (if any) have been modified by running Suspect File Versions in the ACP.
          If any core files have been modified, simply compare them with the default version of that file for the same version... and then save a list of the changes in a text document.

Re-upload the files from the legal version, and then re-implement the file edits.

However, if the board isn't upgraded to the latest version of vBulletin, you will want to do that... and then there's no guarantee the core file edits will work.

I think you're making a very good choice in buying a legal version
          Regards,
          Nick

Comment

As others have said you will probably be okay, unless there are some very old mods with file edits etc. Once you have purchased vBulletin just overwrite all the original vB files (running upgrade if necessary) and then do a check with "suspect file versions". This will also tell you if there are still any unwanted files floating around.

Comment

Will I be able to get support with this? I am not sure if I would be able to do all that. Also what happens if I buy it, and i'm not able to transfer?
              I told the guy that I will only buy his forum if I can transfer it to a legal version. He wants to know how to do what Nick suggested "running Suspect File Versions in the ACP."
              Last edited by Error47; Sun 27 Jul '08, 9:44pm.

Comment

What you could do, (although not really advisable). If your a little worried that the mods and changes made by upgrading, or over-writing files will mess things up. Is just buy a licence and don't upgrade or change anything, just leave as is.

Out of interest, is his site a busy site, does it have lots of active members etc. If not I really don't see the point of buying it. On the other-hand, if he has an active busy site. Yea, it worth buying. Just take into account though that it cannot be guaranteed that over-writing files will not mess things up. Especially a pirated version!

Comment

Originally posted by Error47 View Post
                  Will I be able to get support with this? I am not sure if I would be able to do all that. Also what happens if I buy it, and i'm not able to transfer?
                  I told the guy that I will only buy his forum if I can transfer it to a legal version. He wants to know how to do what Nick suggested "running Suspect File Versions in the ACP."
                  Since I have no way of determining if you are currently licensed or not, you will need to post a new thread in the appropriate Support Forum to receive support.

If you buy the site, simply buy a vBulletin license and you will be walked through the process and given complete support.

If not, please report his site to the Pirate Report manager if you feel it is running an illegal copy:
                  http://www.vbulletin.com/piracy.php
                  Regards,
                  Nick

Comment

this is just me but i would take down the illegal forum alltogether and buy a good licence and then upload the new legit forum to a new location on the site.

like if the illegal copy is here his-site.com/forum

upload the legit copy here forum.his-site.com or even his-site.com/forumS

but as someone said to get support beyond this you will need to be a LEGIT LICENCE holder to get support here.

Comment

this is just me but i would take down the illegal forum alltogether and buy a good licence and then upload the new legit forum to a new location on the site.

like if the illegal copy is here his-site.com/forum

upload the legit copy here forum.his-site.com or even his-site.com/forumS
                      Why? What difference does it make?

Comment

Hmm...I think since vBulletin runs off of MySQL, your user tables SHOULD be fine. I'm not making any promises, but it should keep the users in place. A vBulletin License comes with access to vBulletin.org, as well. So you can get most of the MODs there. FYI, if he has any, as I like to call them, "Paid" MODs on there, like vBPlaza, I'd remove them. It's not worth getting caught. But anyways, buy a legit license, and *High-Five*.

Comment

Originally posted by Dilly View Post
                          Why? What difference does it make?

JUST INCASE SOMETHING GOES WROUNG WITH THE install then he can still have a good copy of the user database.

ps sorry about the caps i needed them on another board i just joined for the securety code.

Comment

He'll still have a copy of the userbase anyway. It's stored in the database, not in the files.

Comment

I would be careful about those as some modded vbulletin boards may contain backdoors.
                              Maybe it's a good idea to buy vbulletin, then find the mods you need from their official developers. This way you have a higher chance to be clean.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X